Fan Leaf Withered And Died From String

• Thread starter Romeleo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Romeleo

Romeleo

So I used a tie down string that has that wire in it but plastic around it on my fan leaf because it was leaning the next morning it withered and died.so I cut the rest of the strings I placed around the other plants because I didn't want to that to happen again.my plant is healthy looking so should I be concerned about it?

1554642040014 141125833
Kepp89

Kepp89

it'll likely recover (the plant as a whole) but id look into other methods of tying down things. that string you used i imagine was extremely thin and eventually acted as a razor and as the leaf tried to do its thing to move to the light it got the slice. or it just cut off the circulation because it was so thin. and imo id look into the spots the ties were at, see if the stem/branch is damaged. maybe wrap painters tape on it for ~5 days -- some tape thats strong but easily peeled off.

Fiasco79

Fiasco79

You want to tie the stem down or branches not fan leaves. I use the same wire just be careful it doesn't cut in the plant tissue. Make sure it sits flat around the stem/branch

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Leaves need to be able to move somewhat, as they will change positions to maximize light usage, etc. Twisties, like you used, work well as long as you keep them loose and allow for growth. You want to tie your stems and growth sites instead of the individual leaves, although some folks trim off some leaves to let more light reach the inner areas of the plant...after it gets a lot bigger!

Romeleo

Romeleo

Thanks for the advice I trimmed the big fan leafs I was trying to tie down and everything is fine now except one more problem that came up yesterday.a couple of the fan leafs on only two plants out of 6 got light green discoloration patches.could it be some tiny organism eaten on it.here is the pic.....

IMG 20190407 170634
IMG 20190407 170707
W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

In my experience this light patches usually turn brown and they call it rust.
Atlist when it happened to me...

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Early leaves seem to be susceptible to damage, typically water and/or nutrients splashing onto the leaf. Why did you cut your big fan leaves off? For a small plant, they are the primary energy source and grow large to make a lot of initial food and energy for further growth. After the plant is established with plenty of other leaves, then it is ok to trim them off if desired, although the bottommost leaves I don't bother as they don't shade anything, they store energy and nutes, and they will usually yellow and fall off whenever they are "finished".
The big fan leaf that was cut by the twisty is OK, but try to leave your other growing fan leaves intact until the plant gets well established. They really help the plant out when starting up. Losing a leaf or two isn't uncommon at all...the problem you are seeing on the one leaf could be caused by a lot of things, but probably got splashed by something. As long as it doesn't start spreading to newer growth, you should be OK.

Romeleo

Romeleo

Early leaves seem to be susceptible to damage, typically water and/or nutrients splashing onto the leaf. Why did you cut your big fan leaves off? For a small plant, they are the primary energy source and grow large to make a lot of initial food and energy for further growth. After the plant is established with plenty of other leaves, then it is ok to trim them off if desired, although the bottommost leaves I don't bother as they don't shade anything, they store energy and nutes, and they will usually yellow and fall off whenever they are "finished".
The big fan leaf that was cut by the twisty is OK, but try to leave your other growing fan leaves intact until the plant gets well established. They really help the plant out when starting up. Losing a leaf or two isn't uncommon at all...the problem you are seeing on the one leaf could be caused by a lot of things, but probably got splashed by something. As long as it doesn't start spreading to newer growth, you should be OK.
I hit all my leafs on all plants with neem oil mixed with non toxic dish soap only few drops to emulsify the warm.i was getting fungis knats.nothing else splashed on it and the other ones are doing fine.yeah I won't cut anymore it seemed like it was spreading so that's why I did it.

Top Bottom