Fast curing vs freeze drying?

• Thread starter GoldiNugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GoldiNugs

GoldiNugs

Yarra recently posted a really convincing argument for fast curing, or snap drying vs slow curing - actually just having a second read of it now. I’ve also seen a bit of talk about lyophilization (freeze drying). I’m just wondering between freeze drying and fast curing which is the better conserving taste?

durian

durian

Ive got no idea. its weird but my strain will change odor slightly depending on what time of year it’s been harvested or how long its been curing for. its hard to pick which is better, the smell is just kinda different sometimes

DoctorDread

DoctorDread

Got no answer for the OP, but I remember once getting handed a bud and smelling it and thinking ‘damn, that smells unreal, I’d love to get that strain!’ only to then be told it was my own stuff. Turned out that was true. And I been growing this same girl for 5 years.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I do not understand the term " fast curing" . Do you mean fast drying ? Curing takes time and can not be sped up I believe.

Tuku

Tuku

Ive got no idea. its weird but my strain will change odor slightly depending on what time of year it’s been harvested or how long its been curing for. its hard to pick which is better, the smell is just kinda different sometimes

It's normal for weed to smell different if it’s been subjected to different environments. There are scents that evaporate out of it and not all of these leave at the same rate.

I do not understand the term " fast curing" . Do you mean fast drying ? Curing takes time and can not be sped up I believe.

Reading Yarra's thread on the topic, he used the terms interchangeably. I think for the sake of discussion, fast drying would be better suited, though the idea is that it negates the need for curing. Basically, it's really a question of a fast vs slow technique that will see the buds ready for storage.

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

I just recently started doing the freezer drying method an versus my old paper bag method it added time to my whole process but the over all appearance, smell an the taste was better but if you don't mind extra waiting time, or if you live in to hot of a environment then I would definitely try the freezer method! But as far as a fast cure I don't see how the quality could be there!

Supercharge

Supercharge

Hmm…the toss up between freeze drying & snap drying with DHs for the purpose of aroma preservation. Volatile profiles in weed will be altered differently in both processes. Biochemically one would expect monoterpenes and oxygenated mono and sesquiterpenes terpenes would generally preserve better through out the air-drying process. Most other sesquiterpenes, ethers, phenylpropanoids etc would be better preserved by freeze drying. Tens of thousands of these compounds are found in biology, of which an almost infinite number of combinations could potentially be arranged to produce an almost infinite number of unique aromas. So for the purposes of preserving aroma I doubt there will ever be a ‘one rule fits all’. Bubblegum that has been freeze dried, will resemble but inevitably smell slightly different to, bubblegum that has been snap dried, and again the case would be for slow cured. It’s up to the subjectee which aroma is preferred and just to point out its aroma, not taste - as many of you would know, like coffee and tea, weed tastes more or less the same when you have a cold.

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

But I would say if an it has happened to many of us! you dry it to fast too much the smell an the flavor will be affected! An that is what the freezer drying method will help you avoid!

zombie III

zombie III

@Supercharge, so that’s a long way of saying “hmm..waaaaaaay too many variables”, rite? lol

i think fast drying is more practical than freeze drying. i don’t know ANYONE that freeze dries, i’ve only heard about this being done by companies that then make extracts of specific cannabinoids.

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

Thanks @zombie III I'll check that out! So I assume it's like the freezer drying thread well I'm always up to learning something new!

spore

spore

Hmm…the toss up between freeze drying & snap drying with DHs for the purpose of aroma preservation. Volatile profiles in weed will be altered differently in both processes. Biochemically one would expect monoterpenes and oxygenated mono and sesquiterpenes terpenes would generally preserve better through out the air-drying process. Most other sesquiterpenes, ethers, phenylpropanoids etc would be better preserved by freeze drying. Tens of thousands of these compounds are found in biology, of which an almost infinite number of combinations could potentially be arranged to produce an almost infinite number of unique aromas. So for the purposes of preserving aroma I doubt there will ever be a ‘one rule fits all’. Bubblegum that has been freeze dried, will resemble but inevitably smell slightly different to, bubblegum that has been snap dried, and again the case would be for slow cured. It’s up to the subjectee which aroma is preferred and just to point out its aroma, not taste - as many of you would know, like coffee and tea, weed tastes more or less the same when you have a cold.

i think thats a great explanation for those variables. btw the human nose was recently found to be capable of detecting 1 trillion different smells. so anyway breeders have a long way to go b4 we run out of new and unique smelling strains lol

L

larebowm

Hmm I do not like freeze dried coffee.but I may try it with small amount.

jimbooo

jimbooo

Yeah bro there’s definitely many variables. Growers want yield. Smokers want highs. Connoisseurs want something special. Patients want to feel better. …and competitive pricks like me want something better than everyone else has, hahaha

monkeymun

monkeymun

Plant samples are often freeze-dried for use in research studies, and a variety of freeze-dried botanicals are marketed to the public. In both instances, there is an underlying assumption that freeze drying properly preserves the medicinal qualities of plants, and is superior to other preservation methods. But little systematic research has actually been done see if this is true. Review of the existing research by the food and spice industry indicates that freeze-drying has unanticipated and significant effects on the chemical profiles of medicinal plants, which really makes it questionable whether freeze-drying is actually the best method to preserve cannabis. For most of us, myself included, it sure isn’t the most convenient!

Geometryka

Geometryka

Well there’s one cash crop that makes weed look like lawn clippings - saffron.
It’s the worlds priciest agricultural crop for it’s weight, worth more than gold!
I read a recent article that said lyophilization preserved 5 times the active constituents in saffron than natural drying.
You’d think if anyone one’s going to be on to it, it would be the guys producing this stuff, no?
..just my 2c.

Latest posts

Top Bottom