Feed, Feed, Water required in Canna Coco?

• Thread starter minster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

minster

I have given my young girls five feeds in a row as I was under feeding them. When I did give them a straight water they looked unappreciative....

I did intend to follow Zoolanders feeding schedule and the principle of Feed, Feed then water...

I am wondering if those of you who are using Canna Coco follow this regime of 2 x Feeds and then a plain water? Or something else?

Also if you do, do water with RO/Filtered water?

thanks all!

Minster....

JPLord01

JPLord01

I feed every time if they look dark I back off to 2mils most of the time I feed at 4 to 5 mils with a good run off like 15 to 20 %. H&G coco A&B.

K

KushChemDiesel

I feed every time if they look dark I back off to 2mils most of the time I feed at 4 to 5 mils with a good run off like 15 to 20 %. H&G coco A&B.

What he said but i give em a plain water feed once a week aswell:)

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I do the same as jplord except I'm using canna. I think if u get that 20% runoff flushing in the middle of the grow isn't necessary.

M

minster

THANKS V MUCH!

Do you guys measure your run off PH/EC*PPM? If so, what conclusions do you draw from different readings?

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I used to but after running a nute line for awhile and understanding your plants it us not neccesary. I don't even have a working Ec tester right now. If you are putting in 800ppm every watering and your runoff is higer say 1000ppm obviosly there is to much nutes in the coco. I used to chek ec a lot but it wad always what I expected. I water with a lot of runoff so my runoff is always the same ph and ec as what goes in.

bloads

bloads

How often are you guys watering them?

I'm trying to figure out the problem with this sick guy here:

http://img408.invalid.com/img408/3641/plantsicksmall.jpg

i finally started testing runoff and it was well into the 1000's (1200+)

i flushed it last night, using pH'd (5.8) RO water, and brought all my plants runoff from 450-700.

here's a pic of all 4. they look pretty bad right now... i'm thinking it was the high PPM i had builtup in the soil, + the fact that I flushed them with a ton of water to drop that down (last night), and the lights just came on.

http://img708.invalid.com/img708/7410/4newplace.jpg

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sick guy wants some magnesium and phosphorous, I think. They all want more food. And light.

Are they in soil or coco?

ALWAYS feed to the point of at least 20% run-off and you won't need to flush on a regular basis.

J

jack_ripa

Yeah, they're hungry. They go pale and spindly when starved and dark/curly when overfed.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

It's probably either pH or lockout so check/calibrate your pen if you're using one, and add .4ml Drip Clean per gallon for lockout. Zoolander's feed-feed-water gives amazing results though so .... why wouldn't you?

bloads

bloads

Sick guy wants some magnesium and phosphorous, I think. They all want more food. And light.

Are they in soil or coco?

ALWAYS feed to the point of at least 20% run-off and you won't need to flush on a regular basis.

Veg Light: t5 4' 4lamp, 208watt
Food: Canna line + calmag (only recently did i get calmag)
Grow Medium: 100% canna coco

Yeah, they're hungry. They go pale and spindly when starved and dark/curly when overfed.

The two bigger, green plants have dark, hard textured, leathery 'sun' leaves but new growth is slightly retarded/pale.

Could the pale spindly ones be underfed as a side-effect of being overfed? Buildups/excesses causing lockout?

It's probably either pH or lockout so check/calibrate your pen if you're using one, and add .4ml Drip Clean per gallon for lockout. Zoolander's feed-feed-water gives amazing results though so .... why wouldn't you?

I'll go get some Drip Clean from the store tomorrow.

For now, during the last couple nights, I drastically lowered the PPM runoff in my coco. Two nights ago I flushed with PHd RO water, and brought them down to 500-700 runoff. Last night, I fed with PHd RO + 700ppm food, and runoff was all 400-600, with the same PH that i put in (5.8). I'm hoping this little flush helped get out whatever extra nutes were blocking out other nutes (i'm hoping this was my problem).

Question: Is more than 10-20% runoff bad, because it will overwater the plants, or just because I'm wasting nutes?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, it's not bad because coco really lets everything flow through, unlike soil which can become very waterlogged. You're on the right track, now you just continue to feed to sufficient run-off. However, 10% is not enough run-off, 20%-30% is what you want to see; i.e. if you feed 10 gallons of feed, you want to get 2-3 gallons back out.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, but I strongly advise learning how to work with coco *first*, and try to carefully remove as much soil as you can safely remove before actually planting into the coco.

B

bong bandit

what ec does 4 - 5 ml / gal give you? for me it is 1.2-1.3 h&g of course

edit:
of course? wtf.. not sure what that meant

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

pigfarmer has the most consistent impressive coco grows i've seen pulling consistently 2lbs a light with just 4 plants a light and he said he always has to feed if he does not his plants start to negatively respond.

not my personal advice but the advice of a coco guru whom i plant to follow when i switch to his setup and have taken notes like he was holding class and asked questions non stop to make sure i knew everything there was to know about coco.

M

mr.tortoise

Every watering. I have never come across a grower that doesn't get good runoff and has great vigor. Can do it to some extent with organics, but thats a whole different topic. Canna recommends watering at every feeding, as if you use plan water can screw up the nutrient balance. Works great, just remember coco doesn't need as much nutrients. 800ppm tops.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
But, I'm not feeding coco, I'm feeding living plants.

L

lil miss lone

I feed nutes Mon-Fri, then water in weekends. I grow in a 50/50 coco perlite mix.

That being said, pay attention to what your plants are telling you, yellowing than feed em a bit more, burning at tips, feed em less.

Top Bottom