Fellow Farmers with academic degrees?

• Thread starter Tesseract
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tesseract

I was curious if any of you hold advanced degrees in Botany, Mechanical/Electrical/Chemical Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, or anything relating to this forum.

Perhaps if you can, share where you went and your education in relation to todays cannabis community.

T

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Haha just posted on your other thread man lol, think it's really great you started this thread. um well i live in ohio by the roo so you can kinda guess where i go to school. Currently i am in my last semester of classes to get my doctorate in Organic Chemistry. I was originally goin for Biomedical engineering but unfortunatly calc. 5 was way to difficult and to time consuming for me to care about it lol. Um in relation to the smoking sub-culture i feel like i don't really mean much other then the fact that i produce my own oils and my own equipment to produce oils and extractions. Eventaully once i have more income and the laws go through their phases i would like to move to Colorado and start my own business there or become part of a business there. anyways thanks for finally making this thread lol Take it easy brotha

Don't Panic! Grow Organic!:passingjoint:

lol o ya do you have a degree?

T

Tesseract

Haha just posted on your other thread man lol, think it's really great you started this thread. um well i live in ohio by the roo so you can kinda guess where i go to school. Currently i am in my last semester of classes to get my doctorate in Organic Chemistry. I was originally goin for Biomedical engineering but unfortunatly calc. 5 was way to difficult and to time consuming for me to care about it lol. Um in relation to the smoking sub-culture i feel like i don't really mean much other then the fact that i produce my own oils and my own equipment to produce oils and extractions. Eventaully once i have more income and the laws go through their phases i would like to move to Colorado and start my own business there or become part of a business there. anyways thanks for finally making this thread lol Take it easy brotha

Don't Panic! Grow Organic!:passingjoint:

lol o ya do you have a degree?

I just passed through your town yesterday on a trip. Lucky to beat the storm you are going to get!

It sounds like you are very happy with your education and where you want to be in the future which is fantastic!:sun

Colorado's cannabis climate is ever changing being so new, but the one thing I learned visiting, is the extreme competition among business in relation to cannabis. I am sure however, that they would be grateful to have someone with your knowledge there.

BTW you mean a lot bro.:) Your here for instance, and you want to help make extractions better for us all. You are giving your time for the world, so I throw some mad respect your way!

As to a degree, no. I went to Purdue for Mechanical Engineering and although enjoyed certain aspects and did well, my heart and head were someplace else. It took me 25 years to figure out how I learn well enough to try things on my own. The use of Cannabis helped significantly in the confidence to trust myself. I have fully decided that knowledge is what I want and absorb everything I can.
My grandfather worked many jobs, architect, railroad engineer, band member and statewide champion drummer, ect to help put my dad through college (first in the family to do so). I take after my grandfather for sure.
It is not my intent to separate the academically educated from the non, as to there is absolutely no difference other then a certain path to obtain your success and how hard you work to obtain it. I am not one of those "you don't have to go to college to be successful people" only that certain people need that environment to learn and network.

When my girlfriend becomes a professor at a major university (she hold a masters in fine art and is a professor at the local, and very nice, community college in town) I would consider reaching towards a philosophy degree.
This thread IS for everyone BTW. I just find it intriguing the things I cannot do or have yet to accomplish such as obtaining a degree.

The main reason is, that you have spent the time, money, and hard work to receive one, and should most likely know truths and facts in the matters.

T

T

Tesseract

Oh and BTW, Love your field. I have used both chem and organic hydro, and must say, Organic + Beneficial bacteria FTW!!!

Are there any nutrient lines that you have studied or like over others? I run Botanicare, but will switch to H&G next. I am sure you can school me in making my own as well!

S

SSHZ

BBA (accounting), MBA (finance) so I won't be any help.........

T

Tesseract

BBA (accounting), MBA (finance) so I won't be any help.........

Yeah right bro, your the one friend we ALL need to know!

My buddy created and received a double MBA from UT (University Of Tennessee). He's a treasure trove of knowledge. Keeps my investments inline and always offers sound advice. Saved me loads of $$$ and helped us receive all sorts of breaks on our taxes. I am sure people in the dispensary side of things use an accountant for business all the time. Takes a lot to run those!

Did you go straight through from high school or take time off between programs?

T

Y

yoko

"BBA (accounting), MBA (finance) so I won't be any help........."

Hence the haze infatuation, seems like number-people like the hazes to me.

Takes one to know one,

Yoko

S

SSHZ

Actually, no real Haze love anymore. Mr. Nice SSHZ takes a good 11-12+ weeks to finish properly........ One of the very best items still out there that's available though.

Actually started in pre-med at big university in D.C., switched to business after 2nd year. Went straight thru, 6 years in a row, but had a paid full time accounting internship in Financial Division of U.S. Supreme Court the last year. So, work during day, school at night. Doesn't matter anymore- out of school for a long time and I've been growing for 20+ years and making my living doing it.............

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Hahaha thanks alot T, that means alot bro it's hard to find people on forums that give respect to people who have degrees and many times people who will even believe you have a degree lol. and ya it's been really rainy around here lately, haha gotta love ohio, it's fall and it's 43 degrees out...awesome lol. Anyways i'm pretty happy now that i'm going to finally have my degree and be able to use it but in my opinion i personally hated college infact i think our entire school system is completly corrupt and pretty much a bunch of bullshit, however i knew this before i went to school, and unfortunatly in today's current society nobody will show you as much respect or even give you a job or trust you with knowledge without a college degree, that is the sad truth, but hopefully bud can change that by the time i die. Honestly if you want to gain knowledge i would suggest researching what you love thoroughly and then just keep researching lol. but i am glad i have a degree and i'm glad it will be over in 2 months. Haha and if your ever in my area for an extended time send me a message on here and i'll see if i can find ya in my area lol . As for nutrients! haha i've always made my own soil and my own teas since i began growing back in highschool. i seriosly will swear by llama,horse,chicken, and sheep manour(spelling?lol) but get it from a local farm. in my areas theres a few farms so when i was younger i would literally clean their barns for free and as a result they would gimme their poo, one farm had chickens sheep nd horses the other farm was just llamas and a few alapacas and i would take all that mix it together and soak it in a giant barrel in a pillowcase or cheese cloth then i add bat guano extract and worm castings along with some ash from a fire to help balance the ph's and add extra carbon and nitrogen, with trace elements. and badda bing badda boom after a solid 3 days of soakin with some giant bubble disks and your good to go. lol i literally have never tried anything else haha anyways man thanks for makin this thread and thanks for the kind words! if you ever in the area we can smoke a fat one for sure...or a hit of oil hehehehehe
Take it easy brotha T :passingjoint:

"Organic Blueberries growen in with Organic Blueberry!? Your F'in crazy man"

marski420

marski420

I wish I could make my own tea and soil like that man.. Would you be able to post pics of the results you get with your own organics?

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
I was curious if any of you hold advanced degrees in Botany, Mechanical/Electrical/Chemical Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, or anything relating to this forum.

Perhaps if you can, share where you went and your education in relation to todays cannabis community.

T

I have a double minor in biology & chemistry, double bachelor's degree in computer science & business admin., and I'm about to graduate in December and then in May with a double masters. I'm a computer science nerd and workin' on a business degree in computer science. Hopefully someday I'll be a Chief Information Officer, somewhere.. :D I love school!!! Military pays for it and I will miss it when I'm done, that's for sure.

What boggles my mind is how all these smart growers on these forums know soo much about plants, chemicals, cells, etc etc. Yet most don't even think of pursuing a degree in plant science. Go get your associates at your local community college and see what difference it'll make to you. :cool0019:

T

Tesseract

I have a double minor in biology & chemistry, double bachelor's degree in computer science & business admin., and I'm about to graduate in December and then in May with a double masters. I'm a computer science nerd and workin' on a business degree in computer science. Hopefully someday I'll be a Chief Information Officer, somewhere.. :D I love school!!! Military pays for it and I will miss it when I'm done, that's for sure.

What boggles my mind is how all these smart growers on these forums know soo much about plants, chemicals, cells, etc etc. Yet most don't even think of pursuing a degree in plant science. Go get your associates at your local community college and see what difference it'll make to you. :cool0019:

Most of us are nerds in something bro ;)

Early congrats on graduating! I can tell you have a genuine lust for knowledge.

I know what you mean about people on here being extremely intelligent. When it comes down to it, it's all for the love of the plant. Now thats love:heart

I am not sure how it is for others with vast knowledge on here but College is just not my path.

I must float a disclaimer. When I talk in any sense about my self, I mean to do so humbly. I have, and forever will, think I am ignorant to many things because there is so much to soak in. I am an extremely humble person within regards to my character and wisdom.

The present state of academic education has never matched up with my learning abilities. I was a ho hum student until around highschool. The model of education and environment was the same, but I had better teachers and more interesting classes.
When i went to Purdue for ME, I did okay, but did not feel like this was right. I love working on cars, building things, tinkering ect. so I love ME, but would always be pissed having to do calculus work when friends would be drawing, taking pictures, or something of the sort. I am an artist at heart too, so I was split and left after 3 semesters. I went back home and thought, well....whats next.

I decided that I would take the hard road in our culture, and work to find the ability to be successful without academic education.

I have come to understand how my brain works, and it works in a different matter for most. It just doesn't match up with the model.

When I first meet people, I usually don't observe the obvious. Things like facial characteristics, body type ect is in my mind, but on the "back burner" so to speak. Instead, I feel the energy from that person. I can see all I need to see through instinctual feeling within my mind.
Another example is music. I will pick up melody, beat, rhythm, ect before I concentrate on lyrics.
When I am working on mathematical solutions, I feel the answers like a gut instinct, only much more powerful. Its like feeling objects in my mind and associating them with numbers. Similar to how some people think in shapes and colors.

My mentor is Carl Sagan. He was a lover of knowledge, space, philosophy, spirituality, and a genuine lover of the human race. He also smoked the herb:pimp:
I strive to be that good of a person every chance I get. I think I would be a philanthropist if I had the money.

I have run by the motto of "he who controls food is king, he who controls knowledge is God." It seems to that knowledge in our conscious universe is everything. I could care less about money, objects, power, ect... just give me some real truth the the way things are. I just want to learn and do.

I am currently a graphic artist, photographer, handy man to my own house (total remodel of a '36 cottage) as well as many others. Everything was soaked in using the internet, books, magazines, and good ol' fashioned people. Trail and error never hurt either!
I am a successful indoor horticulturist and spend loads of my time helping others build their rooms and the like. My success is by no means a product of monetary values although its nice to finally make good money.
The best part is, I have no schedule other then what I make of it. I work hard, but answer to no one which I like. I can stay home on a monday while my friends are working and usually typing "case of the mondays" or something like that on their facebook. I DO work hard though and have no idle hands.

I still, will always give my advice as yes, go to college. This is just me and how I operate.
I have always somewhat gone against the grain of society in one way or another for the better. People become stagnant and ignorant in mass. I feel I am here to supply character within that grain by taking that hard road and being me.
Given proper education and love, we ALL have the ability to unlock our individual intellect and contribute to the world and beyond. I sometimes feel a loss when people say, "I can't do that" or "I am not that smart", when given proper info and a genuine interest , I know they could excel.

With that said, I may go someday for free, for fun, but am not in a hurry.

Enough about me though! This thread is about YOU guys! People on here need your knowledge, and the truth. Glad you guys could make it!

T

A

amstercal

BA English with concentration in pre-med (meaning I took undergrad Bio, Chem, OChem etc). Ohiofarmer--I was 1 class short of a chem minor and I really thought about pursuing a double major in OChem because I thought it was so much fun--not the general consensus for those readers not familiar with OChem. I really miss the lab. Too much fun.

I am currently a graphic designer too. Reading this thread, I was struck by how a few people here have that same tendency I did to take a lot of sciences but then also concentrate on the arts. When I was in college and was a pre-med English major, I got a lot of flack from advisors, fellow students, random people about not majoring in the sciences if I was pre-med. It just made the most sense to me because I have a good balance of both sides. I don't think it's THAT widespread though, so interesting that a good percentage of the posters here do as well. Maybe there's some tie between that and our attraction to weed. Maybe not, but interesting.
I have actually considered going back for some kind of botany degree. Who has good plant science programs? Know of anyone in SoCal?

B

Bobby Smith

"BBA (accounting), MBA (finance) so I won't be any help........."

Hence the haze infatuation, seems like number-people like the hazes to me.

Takes one to know one,

Yoko

Dual Math and Statistics major in undergrad, then got my MSc (Masters in Statistics), just passed CFA Level III this past June, and also have my FRM designation (Financial Risk Management).

All of which is pretty worthless for this hobby, save for calculating how much over budget I go.

Bobby Smith, CFA, FRM, MSc

Lol........BTW, been unemployed for over a year, so all that learning is really paying off :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
BA English with concentration in pre-med (meaning I took undergrad Bio, Chem, OChem etc). Ohiofarmer--I was 1 class short of a chem minor and I really thought about pursuing a double major in OChem because I thought it was so much fun--not the general consensus for those readers not familiar with OChem. I really miss the lab. Too much fun.

I am currently a graphic designer too. Reading this thread, I was struck by how a few people here have that same tendency I did to take a lot of sciences but then also concentrate on the arts. When I was in college and was a pre-med English major, I got a lot of flack from advisors, fellow students, random people about not majoring in the sciences if I was pre-med. It just made the most sense to me because I have a good balance of both sides. I don't think it's THAT widespread though, so interesting that a good percentage of the posters here do as well. Maybe there's some tie between that and our attraction to weed. Maybe not, but interesting.
I have actually considered going back for some kind of botany degree. Who has good plant science programs? Know of anyone in SoCal?
Wow. I would have loved to have been capable of doing the math required for any of the life sciences, and so ended up a GA major. Got sick of the course work, spoke with some GAs in the area, dropped out of school and got a job in the field. That's where I learned I HATED IT. I hated being stuck inside, I hated the rustle of paper, the smells, the lack of wind, natural things or smells. I was going crazy, so quit the whole thing after I had the first boy 24 years ago.

Never done anything but teach myself since. There is no way I could tackle the math, but I would love to work in a large public aquarium or something similar, loved being at the Long Beach Aquarium.

Plant science would be UCDavis, wouldn't it?

R

Rabbi

B.S. Agicultural Business, B.S. Computer Science, MBA concentration MIS - all from UC Cal Poly.... go mustangs! All thanks to my Uncle Sam, MF'ers!

Hopefully someday I'll be a Chief Information Officer, somewhere.. :D I love school!!! Military pays for it and I will miss it when I'm done, that's for sure.

Been there ...done that! Saved year and a half salary living with my girl and that paid for the huge farm we have now. wouldnt trade it for the quater million dollar salary woking 100 to 120 + hours a week.

B

BenjaminSocks

The Brass Rat Course 2.

It is not where you go, the title, or the pay check. It is what you do and why you do it.

Do you try your best? Does your work make someone smile? If you die tomorrow, who would miss you?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
California Polytechnic schools are part of the University of California system? I didn't know that.

SLO, or Pomona? I spent a LOT of time out at the Pomona campus when I was a kid because they raise and show Arabians and held a lot of weekend courses, had a junior owner's club, stuff like that. I geek.

R

Rabbi

San Luis.......and I've gotten several PM from other SLO grads here on the Farmer so there are a few of us. Ya, I chose my school sticky on Surfing access, so pomona had no chance(without travel).

could have been UC SantaCruz but they didnt have any majors I was interested in

B

biggun4me

Well I was fortunate enough to get a full ride scholarship to the university Of Oregon for football in 1980.. I received my bachelors in Business administration which I would of never gotten if not for sports.. I attempted to play professional football but I received a serious shoulder injury which cut my career short.. Thankfully I had my degree to help me get a good job and raise a family.. I started a small business which our new economy has almost destroyed after 20 years.. I started to grow so I would not have to pay ridicules prices at the store.. Weed has gotten me off all the anti-inflammatory and pain meds... Now I hope to learn to turn a little profit to.. I encourage my kids to go to college and know they both will.. my son will be going next spring to a major school he has received a full ride for football... I am so very proud.. My daughter is a sophomore in High school who plays on a travel team which cost me 5-6k a year... Sorry if I got off track of this thread, but I am a very proud Daddy... Peace

Latest posts

Top Bottom