feminized seed question

• Thread starter jmm122
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jmm122

if the seeds are feminized does the plant have to be sexually mature before the light cycle is changed to flowering?

W

wpw

I always wait until plants show sex, feminized or not, before I flip em to flower...but then I like longer veg times than most people do.

Peace...wpw

B

bigAl25

I do not believe you need to wait that long before flipping to 12/12. Veg for as long as your grow room and light allows you to before the flip. Veg longer, bigger plant to flower.

D

Denny Crane

I do not believe you need to wait that long before flipping to 12/12. Veg for as long as your grow room and light allows you to before the flip. Veg longer, bigger plant to flower.

It DOES make sense to allow a girl to mature before she starts giving birth.
However, many folks who start from seed will flip them at a certain height (18 or so in.) One guy even started seedlings out under 12/12.
Personally, If I was in any kind of hurry I'd do clones. Pop a flat or 2 of clones under 12/12 every 65 days or so, and you'll never run outta meds!! I had to get my mind (and my heart) around the idea of so many plants at once, but that's where the yield is. Lot's of smaller plants. Figure if you get an oz from ea plant, with 100 2' plants that's 6 1/4 pounds every 65 days!!! I have tried to grow bigger and fewer plants, but am at an impasse yield wise. I am stuck at the 2 lb mark. I'm currently doing a SOG with clones I took from the original girls that were grown from seed, and so far the results look promising indeed.

W

WilliamsWonder

You can wait til you see preflowers if you want, but you don't have to. Most people flip the lights anywhere from 3-6 weeks. Just depends on what strain it is, how short you want it and how much more it will grow in height once you flip to 12/12.

M

midsummer

You can flip when you feel like it. You may have noticed that in nature there are few places with 24/ 7 light. The plants will only begin to flower when they are sufficiently mature. However, a sufficiently mature plant may not have enough bulk to satisfy us as a product.

You can get a bigger plant by keeping it in veg for a while. A long veg allows you to circumvent the normal rapid march to seed inherent in certain genes.

If you wait for preflowers, then upon flipping you will get a rapid flowering response. If they are immature they will not as rapidly turn to flower mode; but rather they will continue to veg to a point where there efforts are rewarded and then begin a flowering response.

This is one of the reasons people complain about flowering times being longer than is described by the breeder. The breeder assumes you are flowering a mature plant; while many novice growers want to flower ASAP. They therefore flower a plant before its ready and begin counting the days at flip. But, the plant may need a week or two more to finish its minimum veg time and it does. Once it finishes that time it will enter flowering. The novice grower thinks that it has been flowering for weeks. Hence the disappointment.

Note that we are talking about flowering small (immature) seed plants and not clones. Clones are already mature; though they may be as tall as a small seed plant. Clones will maintain a rapid flower response because they are mature.

C

crazycanuckster

does anyone have any info on canadian seed companies? Had bad luck with a company out of ontario, so wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Cheers

S

space101

You can flip when you feel like it. You may have noticed that in nature there are few places with 24/ 7 light. The plants will only begin to flower when they are sufficiently mature. However, a sufficiently mature plant may not have enough bulk to satisfy us as a product.

You can get a bigger plant by keeping it in veg for a while. A long veg allows you to circumvent the normal rapid march to seed inherent in certain genes.

If you wait for preflowers, then upon flipping you will get a rapid flowering response. If they are immature they will not as rapidly turn to flower mode; but rather they will continue to veg to a point where there efforts are rewarded and then begin a flowering response.

This is one of the reasons people complain about flowering times being longer than is described by the breeder. The breeder assumes you are flowering a mature plant; while many novice growers want to flower ASAP. They therefore flower a plant before its ready and begin counting the days at flip. But, the plant may need a week or two more to finish its minimum veg time and it does. Once it finishes that time it will enter flowering. The novice grower thinks that it has been flowering for weeks. Hence the disappointment.

Note that we are talking about flowering small (immature) seed plants and not clones. Clones are already mature; though they may be as tall as a small seed plant. Clones will maintain a rapid flower response because they are mature.

Thanks midsummer I was wondering why I wasn't seeing any pistils on my OGK fem seeds, yet.

H

headband707

Oh yeah meduser.ca is really good too peace out Headband707

Top Bottom