Feminized Seeds?

• Thread starter Elevated
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

Elevated

I'm curious of other growers thoughts. I've been breeding for years but never intentionally created feminized seeds. I'm aware of methods but am curious of other growers methods. Also, I know its controversial and would love opinions regarding feminized seeds. We just got nursery license and are thinking to do feminized seed project. Mahalo!!!

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

My understanding is that most use colliodal silver treatment to induce herms.

I use nothing but feminized seeds.

Madmax

Madmax

Hi OldManRiver

Do they then use that pollen to pollenate another female then sell,use those seeds.
The plant that self pollenates, those seeds could herm yeah?..

Cheers max

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I personally don’t like feminized seeds for the most part. I only use them when there are no other options available. But that’s me. I’m sure most growers prefer feminized seeds so they don’t have to cull males but imo you’re missing the opportunity to experiment and create your own unique genetic combination. While that might not appeal to everyone at some point you get tired of growing what everyone else does.

So if you have the option to make both that would be ideal imo.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Hi OldManRiver

Do they then use that pollen to pollenate another female then sell,use those seeds.
The plant that self pollenates, those seeds could herm yeah?..

Cheers max
Yes. The resulting seeds are then female. The original hermie was an induced hermie, rather than a genetically driven hermie, so there isn't a new hermie trait to be inherited, thus no increase in hermie tendency over what already existed in the strain.

I have never had a hermie from feminized seeds.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Yes. The resulting seeds are then female. The original hermie was an induced hermie, rather than a genetically driven hermie, so there isn't a new hermie trait to be inherited, thus no increase in hermie tendency over what already existed in the strain.

I have never had a hermie from feminized seeds.
Well said. I have had more hermies from regular seeds than I have from fems. Only had one actual hermie out of fems over the yrs. i use fems to keep my numbers real low, its not legal here yet and you will catch a felony for just a few plants.

Madmax

Madmax

Thanks bro..im with ya now...id like to make a critical 2.0 herm and catch those flowers before opening and use that to put on another female thats my biggest best plant.the one i want to herm is in same vicinity within a metre of it and others ea side of it..i think that they would grow well the nxt yr having one season here.probably b marginal but ...ive read the sodium thiosulphate and silver nitrate works best..im a little gun shy on doing it but...bit worried ill end up with a gazillion seeds in all plants lol..seems such a shame if i dont have a go...

E

Elevated

Has anyone made with colloidal silver, silver nitrate or giberillic acid? In curious which method produces best results. There some genetics we just dont have males for and would love to keep them close to the genetic expression in clone.

Top Bottom