Fermented Plant Extracts and making your own nutrient line

• Thread starter Hashshashin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oregonized

oregonized

Edible Flowers - A new promising source of mineral elements in human nutriotion. Molecules. 2012. 17

List of flower species sampled [10 species]
Table 6

Macro/micro elements isolated in each species: P K Ca Mg Na [surprisingly doesnt list any kind of N qualifier]
Table3

TPC TAC TFC
Table1

I have been working very steadily with this paper. The bibliography is loaded with rare resources on individualized cases of specific mineral extractions. I will have a year's worth of data for Fuchsia and Nettle fermentations and hoping to get them tested here very soon, for the 1st year results......

View attachment molecules-17-06672.pdf
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Bump-a-flippin-LUMP! Scholarly articles for "fermented plant extracts."

Check it: Effect of Fermented Plant Extracts on Zucchini and Squash Survival, Yield and Powdery Mildew

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

I found a rather good organic website y'all should check out... while it is not a cannabis site, it does have a "medicinal plants" section that is cannabis friendly for sure... logicalgardener.org
there are some great resources there.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Interesting, looks like it's new, yes? Like... BRAND new.

Dr.J20

Dr.J20

Here's that C/P from gardenweb on FPEs via Russian Kvas you asked for, Seamaiden,

-----------------copy/paste job--------------------copy/paste----------------------------copy/paste------------------------------------
Main idea is to use non-alcohol fermentation in the gardening based on the fermenting cereals� grains. There are many ways of fermenting cereals to make beverages. But trying to be as simple as possible we came to this simple formula:

6 tbsp rye flour + 2 tbsp molasses + 1 gallon water, sit 3 days.
(author - Nandina)

This stuff is called on Russian kvas, I�ll use this term for designation.

Chemical composition: lactic acid, acetic acid (vinegar), enzymes, vitamins, antioxidants.
Microbial population: lactic acid bacteria, yeasts.
Physical properties: acidic, white color if made without molasses.
Way to keep: closed under the lid or covered by plastic film if kept in an open barrel.
Behavior: tend to be more acidic with time.
Related theory: Effective Microorganisms

Kvas may be used in the garden directly for watering and sprinkling plants diluted with water in ratio 1:0, 1:1, 1:10, 1:100, 1:1000. Better to use more diluted and more often. But pure kvas may be applied too, without hurting.

Kvas may be used for fermenting everything else in the garden: weeds, fruits, peels, etc to make fermented plant extract (FPE). Just put them in the kvas and wait some days. Herbs increase their healing and antioxidant properties tens times after fermentation with kvas.

As a tool for insects, ferment garlic or/and pepper and/or any herbs used as repellent. Use in dilution 1:100 � 1:1000 for sprinkling plants every other week.

There are more advanced recipes of making kvas based on using malt, making sourdough bread in oven, etc. (in this case microbial population will have also photosynthetic bacteria). But this recipe is simple and good for beginners.
With the given information everybody can try it in the garden.
------end c/p--------------end c/p------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting my first batch as we speak, so that I can use it on my new pepper bed. I'm going to sell some Aji Dulce's this summer and was already planning on a medicinal herb garden so i decided to do a 4x8 raised bed instead of a 4x4. SFG that sucker with herbs and Peppers. So after I'm done filling and amending my SFG bed I'm going to water it in with a 1:100 dilution of kvas to kickstart the cooking process. I'm also going to be using a 1:10 dilution on my compost pile from the winter to get it going strong, and I will also be fermenting wild garlic and hot pepper (perhaps, along with horsetail and stinging nettle) as an all purpose insect preventative per the recommendations above, though most likely that will be the next batch.
be easy,
Dr.J

Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

I went down to the bay and collected some seaweed. I got a mixed bag of kelp, some kind of green seaweed, and some red seaweed. Would the green seaweed be higher in N then the other 2?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hmmm... I don't know about that.

I wish I had access to a book I helped with back in '03, The Natural Marine Aquarium--Reef Invertebrates. A big part of the book was dedicated to using macroalgae for nutrient control & sequestration in reef tanks, and one of the more popular algaes, IIRC, is something called Chaetomorpha (I'm gonna have to look that name up just to be sure. Yep.) and it's a green algae known to fix phosphates and nitrates. However, there are some red, very dark red, macros that are also used for nutrient sequestration, I just can't recall the genus names.

Let me do some searching for you.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=2190 2401&pcatid=2401

Off to do more searching...

http://www.live-plants.com/

Last edited:
Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

Does the part of the plant you use or the stage of the plant make a difference? Will flowers give me a different NPK then using the leaves and how about if the plant is vegging or producing fruit?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes! :D

Basically the idea or concept is this--a plant uses various nutrients and hormones to produce various parts, for example reproductive parts like flowers. Therefore, if you use those parts, theoretically you're getting at those nutrients and hormones.

After reading about this a few years ago I tried it in a very lazy way. My Camellia was blooming very well, but an expensive rhododendron was not. So I simply began gathering the spent Camellia blooms and both top-dressed (really, just threw them down onto the soil) and made teas with them. That year the rhododendron FINALLY bloomed like I'd been wanting it to.

I hope that's a more helpful answer. :)

Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

Thanks for the help seamaiden I have 1 more question. Is a plant that is flowering going to be systemically higher in P then the same plant that is still vegging? It sounds like the answer is no but I'm new to this and want to be sure. I'll put it another way because I sometimes have trouble getting my point across in forums not because I doubt your reading comprehension. Will the same leaf on a vegging plant have the same NPK when the plant begins to flower. This is a great topic and I believe I have learned more in the 2 years I have been on these forums then I have in the previouse 20 or so years. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ahh... that's a really good question and I do not know the answer. I've been looking at like this--the plant focuses nutrients and hormones where it needs them. But it would also make sense that those same compounds would be circulating throughout the entire plant. So in short I wouldn't know without some sort of testing and I personally haven't delved quite that deep into the question.

Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

Bump! hey guys i have a question. how long can i leave kelp meal hydrated in a 1 gallon jug before i have to use it and it still be effective? i know the first post the guy says about 1 year and its still good. i just want to be certain as i dont want to waste the kelp meal that im making kelp meal tea/extract. thanks farmers

Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

Been making my own nutrient line for some time now , After this years green house test with Variety of herbs , weed and vegetables its off to marketing 100 percent Vegan line all natural no preservatives organic nutrients :) View attachment 599134 View attachment 599136 View attachment 599139
very nice! i was at wally world today and i seen a new organic water soluble nutrient from Jobes organics. i thought about buying it and giving it a try but i got so much stuff mixed into my soil i figured it would be a waste since i have all the ingrediants already mixed in the soil.

A

Aaelariadeu

Hey all, newbie from NZ chiming in with a question. Theres a lot of info out there and I'm wondering the best way to apply these extracts? To the soil, or foliar? I've got some kelp meal extract on the go, and also some alfalfa SST, for my Critical Cheese, LSD, and Super Silver Haze that are 1 week into flower.

Top Bottom