Fertilizer Sticks?

• Thread starter maxbaker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

maxbaker

Hi,

I came across fertilizer sticks in the market and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them?
I couldn't find a picture of the ones I purchased but they're similar to the one below. Mine is from a German company called Floracraft. There's one for veg and one for flower. The flower has a ratio of 10-10-10.

az2000

az2000

The principle is slow-release. I wouldn't do that. Slow -release nutes in soil are a big problem for people (who unwittingly buy such). At least with these you could pull them out. But, why? If you need to deliver nutrients, just mix a traditional fertilizer into your water and give it. (If you want low-effort growing and a soil with nutrients already in it, look into total/living/complete/composted soils.

M

maxbaker

The principle is slow-release. I wouldn't do that. Slow -release nutes in soil are a big problem for people (who unwittingly buy such). At least with these you could pull them out. But, why? If you need to deliver nutrients, just mix a traditional fertilizer into your water and give it. (If you want low-effort growing and a soil with nutrients already in it, look into total/living/complete/composted soils.

I don't really trust the fertilizers that are available to me. Let's just say my country isn't known for its quality. Since these were from Germany I thought id check them out.
I used composted soil but I ended up with salt build up and had to flush (You and Jimster helped me diagnose that problem in my other thread...thanks btw they have definitely made a comeback :) ) So now i'm exploring my fertilizer options again.

az2000

az2000

I don't really trust the fertilizers that are available to me.

What's some examples of fertilizers available to you? Can you order things online and have them shipped to you? (I lived in Latin America for awhile and there were services that consolidated Amazon shipments to save money).

The fertilizer shouldn't be that complicated. MiracleGro "Tomato" works well and is commonly available in stores, online. You can buy a large tub of Jack's Classic online (it might be on Amazon). That would last you a long time. I use Grow More - Sea Grow All Purpose. You can buy a large tub on Amazon. It's enough for a hundred grows.

Depending on what you have available locally to you, you might be able to mix various products (like a 5-0-2 with a 1-3-1. I'm just pulling numbers out of thin air. But, you can mix things to get balanced NPK ratios.).

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I don't really trust the fertilizers that are available to me. Let's just say my country isn't known for its quality. Since these were from Germany I thought id check them out.
I used composted soil but I ended up with salt build up and had to flush (You and Jimster helped me diagnose that problem in my other thread...thanks btw they have definitely made a comeback :) ) So now i'm exploring my fertilizer options again.
Depending on the age, size and health of your plant(s) I would be very careful. Try a 1/4 stick on one plant and see what happens. I read a thread the couple days ago, someone cut up several and added to soil and burnt the plant bad.

M

maxbaker

What's some examples of fertilizers available to you? Can you order things online and have them shipped to you? (I lived in Latin America for awhile and there were services that consolidated Amazon shipments to save money).

The fertilizer shouldn't be that complicated. MiracleGro "Tomato" works well and is commonly available in stores, online. You can buy a large tub of Jack's Classic online (it might be on Amazon). That would last you a long time. I use Grow More - Sea Grow All Purpose. You can buy a large tub on Amazon. It's enough for a hundred grows.

Depending on what you have available locally to you, you might be able to mix various products (like a 5-0-2 with a 1-3-1. I'm just pulling numbers out of thin air. But, you can mix things to get balanced NPK ratios.)

Amazon has a sister company here but they only sell locally produced fertilizers. All the gardening stores only sell local fertilizers, I've seen some European fertilizers in certain markets but its a bit of a journey to get there. Thought Id see if the sticks were any good before I make the journey.

I have seen some local Urea and Humic Acid products which are of good quality but I have no experience using them.

Good to know I can mix fertilizers to tailor the ratio! Thanks

Depending on the age, size and health of your plant(s) I would be very careful. Try a 1/4 stick on one plant and see what happens. I read a thread the couple days ago, someone cut up several and added to soil and burnt the plant bad.

Yup, definitely won't try them! Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom