Finally made a bit of hashish

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Yea, I agree it could be better. Thanks for the info. I think it's probably the fact it was mostly heavily laden with seeds and I might have been a little heavy on the fert for some of those plants, trying to get nice fat, viable seeds back.... It taste alright, but the potency is still not quite what I would like, or notice with my unseeded or lightly seeded plants.....

Most of these plants produced like 2 grams of seeds for each gram of actual cannabis, so very heavily laden stuff.
That's why you lost potency. As soon as that plant is pollinated she shifts focus to forming seeds rather than thc.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I dont think this is true. Thc is made as a stress/protection response. She will still want to protect her developing seeds.
It certainly does something, especially when it meets a certain threshold. I don't notice it when it's only a few buds w/seeds, or stuff pollinated at the bottoms only, just when it's heavily laden, (multiple applications of pollens) so it must be a metabolic (energy) factor, probably not a hormonal one. All this stuff was grown using an agromax pure uv light during flowering.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

I dont think this is true. Thc is made as a stress/protection response. She will still want to protect her developing seeds.
I was of the understanding that once pollinated she shifts energy. If she's pollinated she will stop swelling her trichomes and switch to growing seeds. She already has trichomes and thc present if pollinated, not sure why she'd need more. I could be wrong, I thought I read that in Jorge Cervantes' book. I'll have to look it up again.

sambapati

sambapati

Well I finally got all the supplies together and made a bit of hash from some of the flower that had seeds in them at one time. It was my first time around with this process and I used the dry ice method. I chose the 160 micron bag and was going to use bigger holes, but this one worked just fine, I did three runs with the product, and got some decent results. I didn't weigh the product, before or after, so I don't know what the yeild ratio or anything, but was surprised by how much I got back, I'll take what remains and maybe do an additional coconut oil extraction for any residual THC in the flowers, and make edibles/topicals.

The video's aren't the best quality, but you get the idea. Linda's got bad shaking, so you'll have to excuse that part, she tried. Feel free to leave some suggestions, comments, feedback. Overall, this was a fun project, and the product is very tasty. 4 different strains.
Looks like wasabi powder! Probably twice as delicious. Good going Frankster as per usual

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

Nice work bubble is always good :) boldt bags makes a nice good quality set, get that 90 and 70 for your full melt!

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Looks like wasabi powder! Probably twice as delicious. Good going Frankster as per usual
Yea, actually it seems to go best with just putting it in a joint and smoking it. At least for me, that's the best way so far. I'm thinking of going with the finer sift next time around, for sure.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I was of the understanding that once pollinated she shifts energy. If she's pollinated she will stop swelling her trichomes and switch to growing seeds. She already has trichomes and thc present if pollinated, not sure why she'd need more. I could be wrong, I thought I read that in Jorge Cervantes' book. I'll have to look it up again.

I would stay this is true to some degree or another, for the most point. i notice that the trichomes on my strains get far longer, and much much fatter and oily, when there's no seeds present. Their not only "thinner" but shorter as well.

I've done a ton of breeding.

I'll try and pull up some photo's to show it, I think I've got them.
Both of these had seeds, I think, see the one below that had zero seed to it.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
the bottom line is this, like I stated above, when you've got lots of seeds, that really when it takes the power away from the THC, it doesn't matter how dank the bud is, or how well you grow it, if it's got too many seeds in it (more than a few in the very bottoms) then your going to have much less potency.

You can have big fat smelly dank buds above, with no seeds in them whatsoever, and the ones below with buds in them, will be of "lesser" quality... In my experience, that's about how it works.

If you look closely at a bud with seeds in it, it's made differently, and if it's got a lot of seeds, it's almost 2/3 seed weight, that's 66% of everything, minus the stem, leaf and THC...

It looks to me it's almost a density thing, there seems to be more hairs per/sq inch in some than others... Although, a post inspection like this is very biased and unscientific, it's would need some validation. Doing it under controlled conditions, to be sure.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

the bottom line is this, like I stated above, when you've got lots of seeds, that really when it takes the power away from the THC, it doesn't matter how dank the bud is, or how well you grow it, if it's got too many seeds in it (more than a few in the very bottoms) then your going to have much less potency.

You can have big fat smelly dank buds above, with no seeds in them whatsoever, and the ones below with buds in them, will be of "lesser" quality... In my experience, that's about how it works.

If you look closely at a bud with seeds in it, it's made differently, and if it's got a lot of seeds, it's almost 2/3 seed weight, that's 66% of everything, minus the stem, leaf and THC...

It looks to me it's almost a density thing, there seems to be more hairs per/sq inch in some than others... Although, a post inspection like this is very biased and unscientific, it's would need some validation. Doing it under controlled conditions, to be sure.

what about the old seedy brickweed that would make 4 of us trip out for hours on a joint? Cleaned on a double record album.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
what about the old seedy brickweed that would make 4 of us trip out for hours on a joint? Cleaned on a double record album.
From a 2007 thread on Rollitup by babygro :
The ovules or calyxs or seed pods of a female Cannabis plant are parthenocarpic, which basically means they'll behave in the same way as if they've been pollenated and seeded regardless of whether they have or not. This is why the calyxs swell to the size they do on unpollenated sensimilla or seedless female plants.

Pollenation of the ovules or calyxs does NOT stop resin and THC production at all, it simply carries on as if the calyx had not been pollenated - this is the plants method of protecting the seed by a layer of sticky resin that deters any predators or insects from feeding on its seeds, and it also helps the seed pods from drying out from UVB exposure.

The resin is produced on the calyx to protect the seed - resin production does not stop at pollenation.

What does happen is that the plant then re-focuses it's energy on seed production and slows down the production of other flowers of calyxs because its genetic program is to produce seeds to complete it's life cycle - that's why unseeded sensimilla put all their energy into producing as many flowers, buds, ovules or calyxs as possible in a desperate attempt to get a least one of them pollenated and seeded.

The pollenation of half a dozen calyxs won't make much difference to the yield, but with more extensive pollenation the plant switches energy into seed production and the yield will suffer as a result.

But none of this has any affect whatsoever on resin production.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

From a 2007 thread on Rollitup by babygro :
The ovules or calyxs or seed pods of a female Cannabis plant are parthenocarpic, which basically means they'll behave in the same way as if they've been pollenated and seeded regardless of whether they have or not. This is why the calyxs swell to the size they do on unpollenated sensimilla or seedless female plants.

Pollenation of the ovules or calyxs does NOT stop resin and THC production at all, it simply carries on as if the calyx had not been pollenated - this is the plants method of protecting the seed by a layer of sticky resin that deters any predators or insects from feeding on its seeds, and it also helps the seed pods from drying out from UVB exposure.

The resin is produced on the calyx to protect the seed - resin production does not stop at pollenation.

What does happen is that the plant then re-focuses it's energy on seed production and slows down the production of other flowers of calyxs because its genetic program is to produce seeds to complete it's life cycle - that's why unseeded sensimilla put all their energy into producing as many flowers, buds, ovules or calyxs as possible in a desperate attempt to get a least one of them pollenated and seeded.

The pollenation of half a dozen calyxs won't make much difference to the yield, but with more extensive pollenation the plant switches energy into seed production and the yield will suffer as a result.

But none of this has any affect whatsoever on resin production.

i think its in clarks book marijuana botany.

Latest posts

Top Bottom