First Coco Coir Grow, Any Tips?

• Thread starter Jungleboogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jungleboogie

Hi guys, after 3 failed attempts at a crop in soil I've decided to switch things up so if you have any advice on my plan please let me know!

I'm planning to grow master kush between 3 or 5 plants with canna coco coir plus and canna coco nutes, a+b, cal mag (as I've read is essential for coir), cannazym, root booster and I shall get bloom boost and pk down the line if all goes well.
I am going to start with cfl, then to my bulb (600w) then to hps (600w).
One question I have is how long til I should switch from cfl to mh to best avoid frying the babies when they are too young?
I have a ph pen and ec pen, cheap ones but better than nothing I would guess?

Couple questions about coir, the bag I have is quite heavy, do I need to soak it before potting it?
Also I've heard that you can water every day and then it would be a hydro grow but I was considering watering as I would water soil, water them and wait to dry out a little. I've read I can expect to water every other day?
Another question, nutes every feed or every other!?

I'm going to follow the canna grow guide and hope that I succeed this time, I have had a couple good harvests considering my basic set up and hope this will be best yet!

One last thing, I've read about training and topping, I'm tempted but part of my thinks just let the plant do it's thing as I don't know what I'm doing re training so maybe save stressing the plant and leave it be?

Many thanks for any input in advance

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
What i heard is don’t let coco go dry because when it dries you run into lockouts and deficiencies. If you haven’t been able to finish a grow in soil i think coco is going to be hard for you (not trying to be a dick but soil is very forgiving and anyone who has ever grown a tomato plant could grow cannabis in soil)
You have to ph every feed and feed at every watering with correct ppms. The thing about cal mag is, coco locks out calcium and magnesium so you must add it in abundance for plant to get it also you need to keep it wet for that reason because when it dries out salts start to build up, ec shoots through the roof and locks out lot of things. Not a coco guy if i am wrong please correct me guys.
You will definitely need a good ph and ec meter imo actually these are the most important equipments you will need. If you are determined to grow in coco do some serious reading it is kinda like a “best of both worlds” situation if done properly, if not, a nightmare as it is less forgiving than soil.

MW7945

MW7945

Coco isn't hard. I started with it and it's all I've used.

-No letting the top dry like soil. Water minimum once a day. Twice ideally. To run off.
-Nutes every watering.
-I don't use Cal Mag, but am using different nutes, so you may still want to.
-pH to 5.8
-You'll want to do some sort of training. Whether it's supercropping or topping. It's not hard.
-Size of pot depends on how often you can water.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Coco isn't hard. I started with it and it's all I've used.

-No letting the top dry like soil. Water minimum once a day. Twice ideally. To run off.
-Nutes every watering.
-I don't use Cal Mag, but am using different nutes, so you may still want to.
-pH to 5.8
-You'll want to do some sort of training. Whether it's supercropping or topping. It's not hard.
-Size of pot depends on how often you can water.

Agreed on everything, but coco is hard :D you may be a good grower (i am pretty sure at this point in my life that it is something you are born with or maybe its part of ones character to pay attention and being able to take care of something but you hardly get any better if you don’t have it) and start with coco and stick with it, the 3 failed attempts at soil is what scares me about coco in this situation (again not trying to be a dick, just don’t want it to be your 4th failed attempt)

But enough negativity

I think if you follow his advice you will be ok with a good ph and ec meter. Wish you luck.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

There is multiple ways to use coir as a growing media. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve with your grow. Salt build up and pH issues only happen in coir when your overfeeding.
I don't do feeds over 500 ppm (1.0 ec), I allow little if any run-off with my feeds at this strength.

justiceman

justiceman

Some good replys here!

Indeed there are many ways to use coco but if you plan to use cana coco A/B and pure 100% coco as the medium then I would recommend the traditional route. In other words treat it like hydro.

I believe canna A/B is a complete nutrient so the use of calmag should not be necessary. Remember simple is best.

Your pH and EC tools should be fine as long as they are calibrated(more so for the pH)

You must feed every time and you need to feed often. Hopefully at least once a day. If you let coco dry while using hydroponic nutrients you invite EC spikes and pH swings that reak havoc. The pH of your feed should always range from 5.8-6.0 generally. As for EC strength I’d probably start at 0.4-.6EC and go up to around 1.0EC at max but strength but it really depends on the setup and environment.

If you have time check out this link.

Coco Root Health

Feed low, feed often:smoking:

J

Jungleboogie

Wow thanks for all your replies!

I failed on last crops because of deficiencys I believe and the same thing kept happening, yellowing leaves from bottom and stunted growth, I was only using canna vega in small amounts.
I decided to change up my approach, get good medium that is made for what I intend to use it for and go for all the nutes in the canna feeding schedule and try to get a good harvest. I read that coco coir is a good alternative to soil so I figure getting canna coco would be a good idea.

I hope to pull it off I coco, I have had success in soil bizarrely when I wasn't paying attention to ph, measuring nutes or anything! I must have just got lucky!

I am going to follow your advice and do my best to get some beautiful plants.

Thanks again

justiceman

justiceman

Wow thanks for all your replies!

I failed on last crops because of deficiencys I believe and the same thing kept happening, yellowing leaves from bottom and stunted growth, I was only using canna vega in small amounts.
I decided to change up my approach, get good medium that is made for what I intend to use it for and go for all the nutes in the canna feeding schedule and try to get a good harvest. I read that coco coir is a good alternative to soil so I figure getting canna coco would be a good idea.

I hope to pull it off I coco, I have had success in soil bizarrely when I wasn't paying attention to ph, measuring nutes or anything! I must have just got lucky!

I am going to follow your advice and do my best to get some beautiful plants.

Thanks again

You can start up a grow diary if you like. Many are friendly around here and are always willing to help with advice when needed.

The reason you did well without measuring pH and nutrients with soil is because a good soil is already filled with decaying organic matter and microbes to break down and release the minerals. That’s why with a good quality soil one can can just use plain water till harvest.

Farmer P

Farmer P

I've grown in both soil and coco multiple times and I'd say coco is much easier. You really just have to follow what Justiceman told you and you'll grow great plants vs trying to become a soil biologist. Both are cool, but coco seems faster and easier to me. Keep your bookkeeping straight so to speak (pay attention and don't mess up while mixing!) I keep my nutes and amendments sitting on the shelf in a line and I go through them in the same order every time. After you get used to it you already know how much of everything to give. Good Luck!

J

Jungleboogie

I'm truly amazed at your willingness to help and offer great advice so thanks again!
I am thinking about doing a grow diary so as I'm sure there are great people on here with great knowledge.

As regard germination I was thinking of germinating the seeds in a small pot of coco to start with, now do I feed nutes straight away?
Also I was going to ask what you guys thought about me only doing 1 repot, so from my little pots to final to avoid as much stress as possible? Will this be fine or should I consider repotting a couple times?

Ledandoldschool

Ledandoldschool

Hi guys, after 3 failed attempts at a crop in soil I've decided to switch things up so if you have any advice on my plan please let me know!

I'm planning to grow master kush between 3 or 5 plants with canna coco coir plus and canna coco nutes, a+b, cal mag (as I've read is essential for coir), cannazym, root booster and I shall get bloom boost and pk down the line if all goes well.
One question I have is how long til I should switch from cfl to mh to best avoid frying the babies when they are too young?

Couple questions about coir, the bag I have is quite heavy, do I need to soak it before potting it?
Also I've heard that you can water every day and then it would be a hydro grow but I was considering watering as I would water soil, water them and wait to dry out a little. I've read I can expect to water every other day?

I'm going to follow the canna grow guide and hope that I succeed this time, I have had a couple good harvests considering my basic set up and hope this will be best yet!

One last thing, I've read about training and topping, I'm tempted but part of my thinks just let the plant do it's thing as I don't know what I'm doing re training so maybe save stressing the plant and leave it be?

Ledandoldschool

Ledandoldschool

I've been growing in Coco choir for a long time ever since I found it. And the man's right if you can grow in dirt brother you're not going to be able to do the Coco cuz you got to be precise you got to be right on the money with your nutrients. And Cal Mag is a very very difficult nutrient you eye under feed them and go from there you got to be good enough to feel it out with your Cal Mag calcium magnesium. and if you can't get a successful grow in dirt you're not going to be able to do it with the choir not to be an asshole. Coco choir is a form of Hydroponics and what it does is when you pour water into it it sucks the water up but before you suck the water soaks up you got to get off you're run off a reading a TDS reading and an EC reading. but before you even watered it you had to have a pH balance wow vegging 6.10 6.30. Wow you flower your crop you're going to bring your pH down to 5.1 5.3 and keep track of your TDS you buy the $150 stick from Amazon it works great it's got a little case and it calibrates itself. I always test my pH test with old school paper I don't care how many times I've used the pen. but yeah there's a lot to growing in Coco. And we all have had problems and we'll all have problems again what happens to anybody. we ain't perfect we're just trying to give you good advice brother. you could try mixing 50/50 soil and Coco that might be something you can grow in but you're still going to have to learn how to I'll show you a picture of not enough Cal Mag

Message 1608571092477
Ledandoldschool

Ledandoldschool

Ledandoldschool

Ledandoldschool

Received 2691072011191422
Received 714100682442474
Ledandoldschool

Ledandoldschool

The top one is veg.....
The bottom is flowering...... Be careful with Cal/Meg give only half of what they say. If your leaves aren't dark green wait until the next feeding and give a full dose.
If ur growing in Coco you must make sure the lower half stays damp. 1 inch on the top u will water.
Sat i feed
Sun I give a little bit of water no nutrients.
Monday I'll give the florabloom.
Tuesday don't need water
Weds give enough water toget a runoff in you bottom plate.
Thursday no water.
Friday no water.
Sat prune and chiropract all my plants especially the new Growth
1 tsp of Cal/Meg
1 tbsp of florabloom
1 tbsp of maxigrow
1/5th on a tsp of root stabilizer
Every Saturday and I got this.... 😎

20210111 225724 HDR
Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

Coco is super easy . I use canna nutes . You will wanna feed @ 50℅ strength or your gonna burn those girls. I run a&b + cannabzyme + calmag every feed I do run pk13/14 for 2 weeks during grow ,

Top Bottom