First ever grow - can someone please help me gender them if possible?

• Thread starter BC_August
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BC_August

Hi there!
I'm growing a tiny grow due to legal issues and what not, mainly for fun and if it works well this time i plan to do it on a bigger scale to help my mothers chronic arthritis and other sufferers. Especially now that i've found good seeds from a reputable guy (almost impossible in New Zealand).

I'm growing in a space thats around 1.5' Width x 1.5 Deep x 2 - 2.5' high. I'm not expecting good yields, its an experiment mostly, plus its really fun.

I'm growing in 2 parts coco coir, 1 part perlite and 1 part "organic" soil. (as little as possible as id prefer to use my own ferts and not those damn little balls of slow release fertiliser)
I have one main light, 50watt LED - i realise its probably not actually 50watt but its a huge step up from those stupid bendy ones that im using as well, any extra light is good light right? I'm replacing the 50watt with the 100watt version of the same light in the next few days.

I'll have to start flowering in 2-3 weeks i reckon, because of size restraints, im not topping as to be honest im too scared, being my first grow and all, i am LST'ing them both though.

The bigger of the two has less of a weedy smell but the top is getting crispy and crystal-like, which im hoping is a good sign.
the smaller one, which had a tough upbringing (i water logged etc, both of them actually but i think this one got the worst, im suprised how well its doing tbh!) has way more of a weed like smell to it but no crispy or smell that i can see or smell.

The stipules seem to be starting to cross over each other which ive read can be a good sign but im not sure, im a complete novice.

If possible, can anyone give me some help gendering them? or will i have to wait till i start 12/12?

thanks so much, hope the pictures help

Biggerplant
Biggerplantcloseup
Biggerplanttop
Smallerplantcloseup
Smallerplanttop
Jakecan

Jakecan

Its too early to tell! Unless you send a leaf sample to a lab to have it tested you'll have to wait until you flip to 12 12 and then usually a week in they will start to show preflowers! Nice work though! I think you will be very happy with your experiment! Don't be afraid to top! Theres tons of info out there and in such a small space it might benefit you to top once or twice just so you don't max out on height!

B

BC_August

They've taken quite some time to get this point, i would guess 3-4 weeks, due to insufficient lighting, what I have now isn't great, even the 100watt version won't be, but the 50 definitely sped things up dramatically so i'm hoping for something similar when the 100watt arrives :) i'll still be using these sh**ty (are we allowed to curse here?) bendy lights on the side though.

I realise it's not a great set up and i've done a lot of things wrong so no need to comment on that, just showing you the grow set up and lights.

Fertilister-wise (yes im from new zealand, we use S's and not Z's in all those particular words lol) i'm just using general organic vegetable stuff, but very watered down. When i can afford it, soon hopefully, i'll be getting cannabis specific stuff, most likely CANNA stuff as they sponsor a friends band, met the owners (or marketing team cant remember) and they were friendly so may as well support them too :)

Setup2
B

BC_August

Its too early to tell! Unless you send a leaf sample to a lab to have it tested you'll have to wait until you flip to 12 12 and then usually a week in they will start to show preflowers! Nice work though! I think you will be very happy with your experiment! Don't be afraid to top! Theres tons of info out there and in such a small space it might benefit you to top once or twice just so you don't max out on height!
Thanks for the response :) i thought the crispy leaves and the top of the bigger plant showing signs of white may be an indicator of gender.

Will topping dramatically slow down the growing time? and are both ready to be topped? i may try it with the smaller of the two and see how well it recovers, if it does well ill do both :)

B

BC_August

also that leaf was about 1mm away from hitting that fan when i checked in the morning, so lucky. i've already busted one fan because i forgot to turn it off before turning pots around, fan blades went flying and im so lucky it didnt hit either of the plants, although it couldve done the topping for me hahah.

Jakecan

Jakecan

It all depends how your plants are being treated. If your environment is right, PH, nutrients and lights are correct then it should bounce back within a couple of days. Research a little bit where to top! But if it helps, top at the apical node :)

B

BC_August

It all depends how your plants are being treated. If your environment is right, PH, nutrients and lights are correct then it should bounce back within a couple of days. Research a little bit where to top! But if it helps, top at the apical node :)
thank you :) been researching a lot lately, its my new hyper fixation hahah.

Would you say that even the smaller one is okay to top?

B

BC_August

took your pep talk to heart, topping both :) im in no rush

Jakecan

Jakecan

thank you :) been researching a lot lately, its my new hyper fixation hahah.

Would you say that even the smaller one is okay to top?
There isn't really a specific time to top. You can really top anytime during veg. I like to top after the second set of leaves in order to do the manifold LST technique.

This is her topped once with two sets of leaves. Now the secondary branches will grow out and become 4 tops.
Cookies Gelato   Veg Week 4

I let those grow out and topped all those secondary branches again giving me 8 tops. Now I started to do some LST
Cookies Gelato   LST week 5 veg

And then once more giving me 16 tops! So now rather than having one main cola i will have 16!
Cookies Gelato   LST veg week 7

This is her last week! (week 8 flower)
Cookies Gelato   Flower week 8 Canopy Top

B

BC_August

Topping will be good but you have so little room to grow. I would start flowering now.
just topped both, should i let them recover a bit or switch straight to 12/12. i read somewhere that slowly transitioning to 12/12 is good to do. but the internet is full of misinformation, hence why i joined this forum :)

B

BC_August

There isn't really a specific time to top. You can really top anytime during veg. I like to top after the second set of leaves in order to do the manifold LST technique.

This is her topped once with two sets of leaves. Now the secondary branches will grow out and become 4 tops.
View attachment 1195157

I let those grow out and topped all those secondary branches again giving me 8 tops. Now I started to do some LST
View attachment 1195154

And then once more giving me 16 tops! So now rather than having one main cola i will have 16!
View attachment 1195160

This is her last week! (week 8 flower)
View attachment 1195161
really appreciate your advice and the time you put into it. I've topped both, as soon as i did it my fear disappeared hahah

Jakecan

Jakecan

just topped both, should i let them recover a bit or switch straight to 12/12. i read somewhere that slowly transitioning to 12/12 is good to do. but the internet is full of misinformation, hence why i joined this forum :)
I personally would wait one week then flip! Just my opinion :)!

B

BC_August

i know i have a million questions, apologies for that.
but if i were to put the cut tops, especially the bigger one, under 12/12 would that determine sex?

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
IMG 20211103 080430

Some more of the canopy.

11.4oz dry weight harvest on an Auto Fem.

Jakecan

Jakecan

really appreciate your advice and the time you put into it. I've topped both, as soon as i did it my fear disappeared haha

Forsure look into LST. Keeps the canopy even which comes in handy especially in a smaller space!

Jakecan

Jakecan

i know i have a million questions, apologies for that.
but if i were to put the cut tops, especially the bigger one, under 12/12 would that determine sex?
You would have to put it into a substrate such as a peat puck or a cube of rockwool. I don't see why not? It might look like crap but could work.

Jakecan

Jakecan

B

BC_August

You would have to put it into a substrate such as a peat puck or a cube of rockwool. I don't see why not? It might look like crap but could work.
thanks again! im gonna put them in some peat pucks and see what happens, gonna put them in my chilli and tomato tent which is on 12 hours a day. see what happens :)

Top Bottom