First greenhouse grow pest, mold, fungus ect control

• Thread starter Strawberry420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Strawberry420

Strawberry420

So I'm starting my first greenhouse grow from clones in June and I live in socal. Im wondering what's a good universal bug, pest, mold, fungus ect universal control I can use on plants in my aluminum/ Polycarbonate greenhouse. Side note: I have done one small indoor grow only using neem oil but outdoors is new territory.

Last edited:
R

redshift75

I'm all about that neem oil.

I mix neem oil, protekt, aloe vera powder in a small mason jar. i use a small amount like 1tsp to about 12-16oz of water, mix it up in water. This helps the neem oil so it doesnt separate from the water. I shake up the bottle and spray.

for soil control i use Xtreme Gardening mykos and treat with neem if need be. havent ran into anything else thats made me need another product. besides home brew remedies for the unforeseen/unfortunate things. I have been trying to avoid needing any real chemicals.

i prefer dynagro brand neem. vs neem extracts. Also works as a great "leaf polish" or so they say.. :)

Strawberry420

Strawberry420

I'm all about that neem oil.

I mix neem oil, protekt, aloe vera powder in a small mason jar. i use a small amount like 1tsp to about 12-16oz of water, mix it up in water. This helps the neem oil so it doesnt separate from the water. I shake up the bottle and spray.

for soil control i use Xtreme Gardening mykos and treat with neem if need be. havent ran into anything else thats made me need another product. besides home brew remedies for the unforeseen/unfortunate things. I have been trying to avoid needing any real chemicals.
I'm thinking about using neem oil for the plant and diatomaeous Earth for the soil because I already have those. You think that'll work? Also do you have a specific formula such as ratios and measurements and specific instructions or links. I have a bit of a learning disability so I usually do things based around very specific tutorials and making a routine.

R

redshift75

I'm thinking about using neem oil for the plant and diatomaeous Earth for the soil because I already have those. You think that'll work?
Cant speak for diatomaeous Earth as i've never used it or looked into it. Ive pretty much found when i get a good myko going and you see the fungi in the soil. I've never really had to worry about it. I guess it all depends on what method you want your soil to be. I learned about mycorrhizae years ago from a tomatoe plant farmer. since then never had to worry about it. Ive had some pots this year get exposed to WPM and the mycorrhizae basically consumed it and havent seen a sign of it in my soil since it took over. the WPM was from using some of those peat pots a friend gave me. Last time i use them. Cause i swear they always come infected with mold spores. as such i have to be easy on my neem oil hitting the soil, since it is itself a natural fungicide.

Mospeada

Mospeada

You can add natural resistance to mould and pests if you get your feed right. Are you going soil? You'd probably know about mycorrhizae and how important they are in soil grows. If you're good at keeping a colony going, add a bit more calcium nitrate...about 60 all the way up to 200 ppm depending on the amount of amino acids your bacteria are producing. It will increase the pectin that's in your plants which will add to their natural resistance. I only grow indoors but I use the same concept for a no labour grow. I keep my humidity levels as low as possible but having the extra pectin in my plants has helped them stay healthy considering how thick my canopy is.

IMG 20200414 043138
Strawberry420

Strawberry420

You can add natural resistance to mould and pests if you get your feed right. Are you going soil? You'd probably know about mycorrhizae and how important they are in soil grows. If you're good at keeping a colony going, add a bit more calcium nitrate...about 60 all the way up to 200 ppm depending on the amount of amino acids your bacteria are producing. It will increase the pectin that's in your plants which will add to their natural resistance. I only grow indoors but I use the same concept for a no labour grow. I keep my humidity levels as low as possible but having the extra pectin in my plants has helped them stay healthy considering how thick my canopy is.
Regarding the soil I'm using nature's living soil and fox farm ocean forest and doing the super soil method (4 pounds of the nature's living soil at the bottom of the smart pot and filling the rest up with fox farm). I'm basically getting clones that were started in my friends greenhouse and then kept under 18/6 with t5s and in June sticking them in the shade for a week and then transplanting into 10 gallon smart pots for the rest of the grow (they're teenagers in one gallon pots and they're already partially hardened off to my understanding)

R

redshift75

growing outdoors worries me bc of pests. best of luck to you

not that bad. you can control it all the same. if anything controlling humidity and temps is far harder than pests. Besides at least for me the reward is far greater at the end result. with much less operational costs. pests are probably the easiest thing in the equation for me. with 2nd being mold from lack of controlling humidity :)

i get about 3/4 - 1/3rd indoors as i do outdoors with the added benefit of $200+ a month to my electric bill. so is trade offs to everything.

Strawberry420

Strawberry420

growing outdoors worries me bc of pests. best of luck to you
Same, I prefer indoors but the place I currently live there's no space for an indoor grow and the landlord told me to keep it confined to the greenhouse. Plus I smoke and eighth a day so it would be nice to be able to supply myself for the year without using any electricity.

Strawberry420

Strawberry420

I'd use a sulphur burner(s) personally.
I already got a system going of a 9 day rotation of Dynagrow neem oil mixed with protekt then 72 hours later Monterey insect spray with spinosad then 72 hours after that Monterey Take down. I do the top and bottom of leaves and a light soil soaking. No bug issues anymore. I did get some cabbage loopers in the grow room but within a week I cleared it up. Plants are looking healthy.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I already got a system going of a 9 day rotation of Dynagrow neem oil mixed with protekt then 72 hours later Monterey insect spray with spinosad then 72 hours after that Monterey Take down. I do the top and bottom of leaves and a light soil soaking. No bug issues anymore. I did get some cabbage loopers in the grow room but within a week I cleared it up. Plants are looking healthy.

That's just a whole lot more labor intensive than using a sulphur burner is all, and the protection against WPM will be marginal. But that will do for most garden pests.

bankcee

bankcee

I'd use a sulphur burner(s) personally.
there’s wettable sulfur that people use too. however, i bought some clones the other day from green dragon in LA and i began treating em with my ipm products (neem, plant therapy/oils) and they fried most of them. they told me they sprayed sulfur after i had already sprayed them the first time and was presenting the issues i was having. Be careful not to spray any oils within a couple weeks of a sulfur spray. just some solid knowledge i feel more people should know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom