First grow and general Q's if you could :-)

• Thread starter 420ReBeLGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Would Neem oil spray directly into the tops of the soil for each plant work? Maybe do this for 5 days to kill all the eggs (if any)?

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Gnats are tough. I was over run once and basically lost the battle. In the end I got the gnats with an inch of sand on the top of the pot and very careful watering, so as not to break up my sand barrier. I removed the sand after two weeks but the plants didn't really recover. Diatomaceous earth is a better option than sand, I found nematodes to be ineffective, predatory mites helped bit didnt wipe it out, expensive too. Pyrethrins failed to take out the eggs... I think I tried everything before sand...

I have four 6" circulation fans on my one plant at the moment. Placed in the corners of my 5' x 5' tent, pointing down to create an upward vortex around the plant in the center. It dries out the soil with no ill effect. Consider the intake also blows about 150 cfm at the pot on top of the fans... I also just created a new rack for the plant to sit up on from a milk crate. It allows for airflow to nearly 100% of the pots surface. Keep your fans at a low speed, they dont need to be cranking out air, just moving it.

Unfortunately, I only have 2 fans, and 4 plants, so I can't do the method you are describing but I totally get the idea. I may have to do something like this. For now, I'm probably going to go pickup some Neem oil to spray the tops of the soils with. Hoping this will at least control them for this grow, as after it I'll be moving to DWC and no soil issues. (but a host of other things to worry about)

I only have 1 exhaust fan ATM as my temps are not hard to control. I have a 2nd on the way that I can program to maintain temps, but right now everything temp and humidity wise is within ranges.

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

I noticed today that roots are poking out the bottom of 2 of the pots. They have of course stopped after about 1 cm or so but they are there and that makes me feel warm inside cause I'm *hoping* that means the root systems is growing away from the old soil that is compacted. Hopefully giving them a better chance to make it through this.

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Just sharing another update . .

plants are still growing , but I believe at this point all 4 are females. I'm not sure about 1 so I'm prob going to post a pic tomorrow in hopes that it someone can tell me.

Just tried my first pot dunk. Pretty much used a large container that i filled with ph'd water and submerged each pot up to about an inch below the top soil. Held it there for a good about 60 seconds to make sure it soaked up enough water. I let it sit at that pointto drain and then came back and dunked again for another 60 seconds. After draining I put those suckers back in but made sure the top 0.75 to 1.0 inch of soil stayed dry.

Fingers are crossed

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

So, plants are looking great, but I did have a quick Q about humidity while in the flowering stages.

I see a range of humidity ..
45-55 RH during flowering
45-65 RH range
Etc etc

I have been maintaining about 75-78F and 57-64%RH during the day and about 65-70F and 60-62%RH at night.

The babies are now 14 days into 12/12 flower cycle so just want to know how I should tackle the RH.

Some say to lower RH 5% each week until you are at 45RH and then hopefully time for harvest?!

Also reading to keep it around 50-60% RH until last 2 weeks of flowering. At that time, drop RH as much as possible while maintaining temps.

Thoughts very much appreciated

Last edited:
420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Here they are (under grow lights)

Here you can see what looks like a ball to me. . .
IMG 20200707 120106018

But then directly above it I can see all the hairs forming already... (I've pointed to the hairs and boxed the same little bulb)
IMG 20200707 120118049

I feel like this is just a late bloomer area and just let it go for now. All of the other plants show nothing but femal pistils and they look to still be growing right now, with my highest now almost at 27".

I downloaded a LUX meter for my phone and took some calcs and my LUX is at about 2400 at the top most area right now. Center point uner the light at plant light level maxes out my light meter at 32K lux. Read that during flowering it should be anywhere from 35K - 55K LUX so I'm a little low but moving forward I will only be doing 1 or two plants max at a time so that they get the light they need.

FINAL UPDATE: since I have not watered from top of plants for last week now, the gnats don't seem to be multiplying anymore. I have some sticky traps coming so we shall see soon enough if they continue. (Thanks for the help everyone! I'm almost there!!!!! ALMOST!)

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

Know this is an old thread and haven't gotten any replies but wanted to share update again . . . :-)

Plants are doing good, they have stopped growing up just 2 days ago. Tallest I have is 47" from top of soil to top of plant.

The tallest turned out to be a HERMIE but it created about 13 total sacks but all of them were underdeveloped and I just plucked them off and have been keeping an eye out for them just in case.

I was wondering if I should consider some way of supporting the plant so that it doesn't topple over or anything when the buds really take off? I read to use a stake next to the main stem and do some ties around it to help the weight, but I was worried that putting it in at this stage might hurt the plant roots...?

Anyway. . they are looking good and really looking forward to the coming weeks.

(Gants are almost completely gone now, hoping it stays that way haha)
IMG 20200714 073802544

IMG 20200714 073921391
Top Bottom