First grow and I need help. My plant exploded in growth just before it started budding.

• Thread starter jasonmbrown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jasonmbrown

I have a bit of an issue, in that I didn't expect my plant to grow an extra foot after I switched it to budding phase. Now its right up in the LED grow light im using which burning some of the higher leafs really badly. Its lost at least one perfectly fine starting bud due to all the leaves turning brown. There is plenty of room in the grow tent, since 2 of my 3 plants were males so I had to murder them. Unfortunately I can't raise my grow light any higher and the plant is touching it. Any suggestions?

Currently I have had to move the light to the corner of its tent so its only getting about 1/3 of the plant and the third thats getting the light is also growing pretty close to the light.

Since this was my first attempt at growing, I wasn't sure what to expect when switching from vegetative lighting to blooming. I now know that I need to bloom them at about 2-3 feet as they seemed to grow about 2 feet before they bloom.

Anyway is it safe to bend the tops to stop them from growing any taller at this point? Is there anyway I can get them about half a foot shorter so they are not touching the light anymore without stressing them out too badly.

Its about 2 weeks into blooming phase and they have roughly dime sized buds on them right now.

wtfdaemon

wtfdaemon

I haven't grown indoor since LED grow lights have been a thing (15 years?), but in the future I'd work on training them with some low-stress training when they're a lot younger. You might be able to still do some training but there are risks involved of breaking stem/stalks. Don't know if any indoor guys will have better advice for you, they well might.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
I have a bit of an issue, in that I didn't expect my plant to grow an extra foot after I switched it to budding phase. Now its right up in the LED grow light im using which burning some of the higher leafs really badly. Its lost at least one perfectly fine starting bud due to all the leaves turning brown. There is plenty of room in the grow tent, since 2 of my 3 plants were males so I had to murder them. Unfortunately I can't raise my grow light any higher and the plant is touching it. Any suggestions?

Currently I have had to move the light to the corner of its tent so its only getting about 1/3 of the plant and the third thats getting the light is also growing pretty close to the light.

Since this was my first attempt at growing, I wasn't sure what to expect when switching from vegetative lighting to blooming. I now know that I need to bloom them at about 2-3 feet as they seemed to grow about 2 feet before they bloom.

Anyway is it safe to bend the tops to stop them from growing any taller at this point? Is there anyway I can get them about half a foot shorter so they are not touching the light anymore without stressing them out too badly.

Its about 2 weeks into blooming phase and they have roughly dime sized buds on them right now.

Welcome to "the stretch" :) A lot of strains go big before they go home. My bonsai pic is getting WAY over used. But you can see the way it is tied. I fashion S hooks out of bonsai wire. One side is hooked to twine. The other side hooks to the plant. The bottom is the same way. Hook it to the container. Tie a slip knot so that you can easily adjust the tension on the line.

I'd need to see a pic of your plant. And this is going to royally fuck up your cola... but... generally you are going to want to hook somewhere on the 12 inch range from the top of the plant. I'd put the S hook around the part you want the bend to be in front of, and slooooooooowly put tension on it by gently pulling it over in the direction you want the bend to happen. DO NOT put a crimp in the stalk. Stop bending way before this happens. Hook up the s hook at the bottom of your container so that it's secured. It's ok if you don't get it where you want it to be on the first go. Just get it out of the light. Day 2, check out what the effect was. Any bends? If so, stop so the plant can recover. it will put material on it sort of like a 'weld'. No breaks or kinks? Then put some more tension on it. Do this daily, gently, until you have the plant where you want it. Don't worry that the leaves are in the wrong direction and look all fucked up when you do it at first. They will sort it out. You may also have to continously adjust until the main growth shoot stops growing.

BonsaiWW
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So many gimmicky names what is it called super crop, monster crop? I think it's super crop, regardless it's when you bend them, you grab them by the stem and you kind of roll it between your thumb and your finger and then you bend it, then I might tie it down or weigh it down after you first bend it cuz it will want to stand back up straight

I'm going to do a few probably tomorrow morning, if you're still looking for info I'll show you how I do it then, good luck

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
So many gimmicky names what is it called super crop, monster crop? I think it's super crop, regardless it's when you bend them, you grab them by the stem and you kind of roll it between your thumb and your finger and then you bend it, then I might tie it down or weigh it down after you first bend it cuz it will want to stand back up straight

I'm going to do a few probably tomorrow morning, if you're still looking for info I'll show you how I do it then, good luck
In the middle of flowering after the stretch????

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

I'm pretty new to growing but my understanding is that you'd probably not want to introduce that much stress once out of veg...I'd probably stick to buddies advice up there about slowly bending without kinking.

J

jasonmbrown

Ya i Might have to just rig something so that I can move my led grow light up higher.... Thanks for all the advice, Seems like im more or less stuck though.

First grow attempt don't think I did too poorly though i'l just move them around daily so that they still get light but are not touching it!

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

Pipe cleaners are wonderful for tye-down. You can use fishing "shot" weights to help weigh it down if you don't have places to tie to. Leave the weight on until you are happy with the training. Start light and keep adding to keep it at desired height. It is a PIA but it works. 🍻 👍

Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

I’m thinking you can move the light so it’s illuminating the side of the plant, hanging vertically, you may lose some light but it could work, try it out see if it’s possible

J

jasonmbrown

I’m thinking you can move the light so it’s illuminating the side of the plant, hanging vertically, you may lose some light but it could work, try it out see if it’s possible

Tried this and the part of the plant that was most under the light, has overnight, grown into the light (close to 2 feet wtf).. Now my lights pushed as far into one corner with the plant on the other corner...

Top Bottom