First grow for total newbie

• Thread starter Biglil
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Biglil

Biglil

Recently moved to Virginia and can legally have 4 plants so I figured why not try growing my own! After lots of reading I pulled the trigger on a HLG 650R, a 4x4x7 tent, carbon filter and exhaust fan, GH flora trio, ph meter, calimagic and timers. Tried to get everything I need but didn’t succeed.

I still need a ppm meter to help monitor feeding, a way to control humidity(increase and decrease), loupe, some CO2, and I’m sure I’ll need more stuff as I continue to learn.

Started off with 2 different strains- grease monkey and an auto 9lb hammer. My wife ended up getting two different kinds of dirt. One was an organic dirt that has been doing pretty well with the grease monkey. The other was a cow manure mix that didn’t drain very well and the for the hammer I’m assuming had root rot and died before even getting true leaves.

Made so many mistakes along the way so far but that’s part of the learning process. First one was the light cycle and what insensitivity. Then my wife never changed the nutes from the seedling stage pretty much the whole veg stage so we didn’t end up with really big bushy beautiful plants. Ended up with a little nute burn after the full dose and backed it off a little since. Been doing a feed - water cycle. Didn’t do any pruning or trimming because my wife didn’t want to hurt or kill the plants. I work out of town a lot and my wife isn’t as excited about this hobby as I am so she isn’t nearly as vested.

Just went to 12/12 recently and my humidity is super low around 25-30%. My lights are 2 clicks down from maxed out and about 22-24” away now that they are in flower. Other than getting my humidity up and getting a ppm meter, I’d love some constructive criticism to better next time. I really don’t know anyone personally to get advice from. I’ve been spending my spare time reading through threads here and figured I’d start my own thread and say hello to everyone.

-biglil

First grow for total newbie
First grow for total newbie 2
First grow for total newbie 3
First grow for total newbie 4
First grow for total newbie 5
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

All I can see to grumble about is that your pots need to be filled up and a little nitrogen burn on the tips. Other than that your plants look great!

You need a Veg room. A 2 foot square 3 foot tall veg room / shelf in a cloths closet 16 on 8 off to start your seed, clones or keep mother plants in while you are flowering in the tent 12 and 12. It does not have to be fancy. I was using CFLs but changed to a little brighter LED.
I'm using 2 - GT-Lite 300w 5200Lumen 5000k lamps for vegging. And use my smart phone with free Lux app light meter to keep an eye on light.
Ballpark
Seedlings 15,000 to18,000 lux
Veg 26,000 lux
Flowering 40,000 lux at the top of your plant closest to the light.
Lights

You should check this 5 part video series out on youtube.
How to Mainline Nugbuckets Style. Beyond that your plants look great.
Big thumbs up Nice job so far! Ron

Biglil

Biglil

61DE8BA8 17FA 47FE BDB7 46D476199372
7DB7913B 38BA 46CB 9028 25FD1FD41C57

So these are the two girls I have going right now. What would cause the difference in flowering? They’ve been in the same tent the whole time and same strain. One looks much more developed. I have a loupe but I’m not sure my virgin eyes can see the difference in tricomes when they start to cloud up.

Top Bottom