First grow from seed. Having issues week 3

• Thread starter MountainBudz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MountainBudz

MountainBudz

Got some great advice about a problem I had in my flowering tent. Hoping someone can help me identify my problem with my plants in my veg tent.

I believe I over watered them last week. They are in root it sponges. Let the entire solo cup dry out for about 2 days but plants are still drooping and now lower leaves are drying out. Any idea what's going on?

First grow from seed having issues week 3
First grow from seed having issues week 3 2
First grow from seed having issues week 3 3
First grow from seed having issues week 3 4
First grow from seed having issues week 3 5
MountainBudz

MountainBudz

Got some great advice about a problem I had in my flowering tent. Hoping someone can help me identify my problem with my plants in my veg tent.

I believe I over watered them last week. They are in root it sponges. Let the entire solo cup dry out for about 2 days but plants are still drooping and now lower leaves are drying out. Any idea what's going on?
My light was really high, I dropped it to about 20 inches above

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The surface looks dry but the plants are showing classic advancednoverwatering symptoms. Ribbed curled down leaves. Yellow and burning lower leaves first.

Im not familiar with the medium you used. Can it be gently squeezed out if it is actually still wet? My soil cups go 5-7 days in the beginning without needing more water under flourescents.

MountainBudz

MountainBudz

The surface looks dry but the plants are showing classic advancednoverwatering symptoms. Ribbed curled down leaves. Yellow and burning lower leaves first.

Im not familiar with the medium you used. Can it be gently squeezed out if it is actually still wet? My soil cups go 5-7 days in the beginning without needing more water under flourescents.
I squeezed them out on Sunday, pointed my floor fan right on them and they were bone dry by Tuesday. I just gave them 30 ml of water today, just enough to get the sponge wet again. I am using fox farm soil and I have them under an HLG 135.

Deke

Deke

I hope the transplant takes care of your issues. It's frustrating as hell to see that with such young plants. Good luck!

MountainBudz

MountainBudz

I hope the transplant takes care of your issues. It's frustrating as hell to see that with such young plants. Good luck!
They were root bound. Hard to believe they did that in less than 3 weeks from germination. I read about people keeping theirs in solo for 3 to 4 weeks and have seen much larger plants in solo cups also. Hopefully they rebound quickly but I will post pics tomorrow to show their progress(hopefully).

Deke

Deke

Yeah. Most people I've seen take them out of the solos at about 2wks. Yours are obviously healthy, that's good.

MountainBudz

MountainBudz

Yeah. Most people I've seen take them out of the solos at about 2wks. Yours are obviously healthy, that's good.
Popped right back up overnight. Still have 2 that are wilting but the rest rebounded in 12 hours. I'll take it!

IMG 20191109 082858
IMG 20191109 082853
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I grow in Promix and I plant my sprouted seed (with about a 1.5" tail/root) directly into the final 5or 6 gallon bucket... within 4 weeks I have tons of roots coming out the bottom. Roots grow very quickly but too much water is hard on them due to lowered O2 levels. Fox Farms soils are pre loaded with nutrients and I have seen a lot of growers have initial difficulties with it being too strong for some strains, while others are fine. Once the roots grow out things get a lot better. Don't fall into the overfeeding trap with FFarms... you shouldn't need to feed too often (or at all) for a few months. Overfeeding can cause issues directly, but also can cause deficiencies in some nutrients even though they are present in the soil, know as lockout. Ph and overfeeding issues can cause this. Go easy on the feeding and don't chase your Ph, and you should do great! Good Luck!!

MountainBudz

MountainBudz

I grow in Promix and I plant my sprouted seed (with about a 1.5" tail/root) directly into the final 5or 6 gallon bucket... within 4 weeks I have tons of roots coming out the bottom. Roots grow very quickly but too much water is hard on them due to lowered O2 levels. Fox Farms soils are pre loaded with nutrients and I have seen a lot of growers have initial difficulties with it being too strong for some strains, while others are fine. Once the roots grow out things get a lot better. Don't fall into the overfeeding trap with FFarms... you shouldn't need to feed too often (or at all) for a few months. Overfeeding can cause issues directly, but also can cause deficiencies in some nutrients even though they are present in the soil, know as lockout. Ph and overfeeding issues can cause this. Go easy on the feeding and don't chase your Ph, and you should do great! Good Luck!!
I think Fox farms is great to start in but after about 3 weeks it's time to start adding some things other than just the soil. My first grow(currently week4 flowering) I grew clones and put those into a fox farms and living soil mix. They did really well but I had to start adding teas and they could have used some more grow nutes. They are currently feeding 100% of the GO box schedule after showing some deficiencies in week 3 of flowering and are finally looking good again a week later. This time I'm holding off on the living soil until I transplant into my next container so I'm currently feeding 25% of the GO box rec but I am definitely staying light on the nutes and the watering for the near future. Do you think I can really throw your ph out of whack with living soil and organic nutes? From what I have read, it's not anything to worry about too much. I just ordered a ph meter the other day just to check because I'm wondering if that is what was causing issues with my plants in flowering. It should be in next week sometime. Thanks for the advice and appreciate you chiming in on the thread.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Do you think I can really throw your ph out of whack with living soil and organic nutes? From what I have read, it's not anything to worry about too much.
Nutrients and the roots themselves can affect your Ph, although organic, depending on your definition, is usually less Ph altering than bottled nutes. Many times it's the Ph causing problems lke deficiencies,which doesn't seem to make sense. An example is Cal-Mag, which everyone seems to love and use. It's a great product, but if overused or if your Ph is already a little high, the calcium can cause the Ph to rise above the point where the Mg can be absorbed by the plant. The resulting magnesium deficiency causes the grower to add more cal-mag, which makes the problem worse. This is just an example, but nutrients can defiantly affect your Ph. Growing in soil is less likely to cause Ph issues as it is usually pretty self regulating.
For the most part, if you go easyon the nutes, you won't have many problems. Like Formula 1 racing cars, getting the last tiny bit of power makes the engines much less reliableand they are shot after one race. Growing the absolute best plant possible with the highest nute level is somewhat similar. You might iprove your end result slightly, but the process makes the system much more likely to run into problems. This is why I advise most new growers to concentrate on growing a successful grow first, before they try to use the advanced techniques that growers have dialed in over the years. The difference isn't usually that much, but the basics will serve you for a lifetime!

Top Bottom