First grow is going great!

• Thread starter shamanagul
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shamanagul

shamanagul

Hi Everyone! I'm a medical cannabis user in MI where it is legal and decided to try to grow my own, just enough for personal use. I got a small Spider Farmer tent, 27x27x63 and two SF1000's and all the rest. I introduced the second light early flower and it seems to be helping the buds plump up. I am growing 4 white widow plants and they look great but the phenotypes are so different. As a beginner I expected all the plants to look the same but each one is so different. One was a runt, so spindly I almost pulled it, now it's towering over the others and looks very Sativa-ish, even the buds are growing differently and it looks to be the frostiest so far also! Keep the runts I guess? It's nice having two lights so I can adjust them differently. Four plants are very crowded in that small tent but they are scrogged and thriving. I will do 2 or 3 plants next run. It looks like I will be getting a nice yield, enough savings to cover all that I bought on the first grow! I've learned so much and I am very much looking forward to using this medicine I grew myself!
So I am wondering, was the second light a good idea? Or a waste of money? And do most strains show this much variation?
Thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge. As I learn more I hope to contribute also.

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

Hi Everyone! I'm a medical cannabis user in MI where it is legal and decided to try to grow my own, just enough for personal use. I got a small Spider Farmer tent, 27x27x63 and two SF1000's and all the rest. I introduced the second light early flower and it seems to be helping the buds plump up. I am growing 4 white widow plants and they look great but the phenotypes are so different. As a beginner I expected all the plants to look the same but each one is so different. One was a runt, so spindly I almost pulled it, now it's towering over the others and looks very Sativa-ish, even the buds are growing differently and it looks to be the frostiest so far also! Keep the runts I guess? It's nice having two lights so I can adjust them differently. Four plants are very crowded in that small tent but they are scrogged and thriving. I will do 2 or 3 plants next run. It looks like I will be getting a nice yield, enough savings to cover all that I bought on the first grow! I've learned so much and I am very much looking forward to using this medicine I grew myself!
So I am wondering, was the second light a good idea? Or a waste of money? And do most strains show this much variation?
Thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge. As I learn more I hope to contribute also.
Tyvm for sharing and welcome to The FARM! 👍 😎🤙
Do you have any pics, and close ups too? Sounds nice, but...

Mugwort

Mugwort

The forum here is big on visual aids. Pics would be nice. Some people like looking at buds nearly as much as smoking them. Some people more!

shamanagul

shamanagul

Here is an early pic, and a later one with the plants in the same positions, as well as a bud pic, I have more on my phone if interested that's where the frosty pic's are. You can see how the runt just exploded with growth. The plants are drying now, (and shrinking OMG) I can report back on yield and quality once dried and cured. I've learned a lot from this first grow and look forward to improving my second grow with that experience.

Plants1
Plants2
Webbudpic
jmand

jmand

wow thats great for a first grow bro!!
how many plants are inthere looks more like 9 haha

shamanagul

shamanagul

Yes all four were topped. Unfortunately I am finding some seeds even though I checked daily. I suspect nanners but never saw any. An early taste test showed good potency and the aroma is already amazing. If the seeds are viable they should be feminized so down the road I might try them. All in all I'm happy with my first grow. I have some medicine, some seeds, and I've learned so much that I can't wait to start grow number two!

jmand

jmand

ah cool man, you think there was a hermaphrodite? Or can you see and kill the male? too late now I guess... Yeah seeds can be useful not sure if they will be feminized?

shamanagul

shamanagul

There were no male plants so unless some rogue pollin got into my grow tent I think these should be feminized seeds, but also could be more prone to doing the same thing unless I can improve the environment which is a given since I stressed these with my inexperience and trying to get everything dialed in.

jmand

jmand

shit thats random ... no hermaphrodites? perhaps your neighbour is growing haha... but why male plants..
hemp farm nearby? ha
Yeah it can get random sometimes.. I had things make weird little seeds like they were half pollinated. Annoying as couldnt even tell until you ground them up to smoke and it tasted bad and all these tiny little premature seeds inside was a pain in the ass...

shamanagul

shamanagul

I do live next to a cornfield so who knows right? Not sure if wild males would even be pollinating this early in the season? I have plenty of other seeds, I did the WW because it was supposed to be a good beginner strain. Now I will move on to strains I know I like even if they are a little more challenging. When I sampled the WW it still tastes green but smokes smoothly and tastes way better than I expected, and should only improve with a good cure. There is something special about that first buzz from a plant you grew from seed! I just sat there with a big grin on my face.

jmand

jmand

I do live next to a cornfield so who knows right? Not sure if wild males would even be pollinating this early in the season? I have plenty of other seeds, I did the WW because it was supposed to be a good beginner strain. Now I will move on to strains I know I like even if they are a little more challenging. When I sampled the WW it still tastes green but smokes smoothly and tastes way better than I expected, and should only improve with a good cure. There is something special about that first buzz from a plant you grew from seed! I just sat there with a big grin on my face.
yeah bro omg your first grow is far better than mine!! haha. my first grow was so noob and I made loads of mistakes but I had these huge plants in my wardrobe and still lived with my mum hahah... They were nearly as tall as me and I am 180cm.. I did manage to go aay for two weeks and set up a auto watering system and let them veg it was amazing to come how dreading the worst only to see these big bushy healthy plants!! I didnt even have air flow going in or out just a fan in the corner lol got a little 150w hps light for flowering (used cfl for the veg) and it heated it up so much my room was infested with fungus gnats! Its insane that the weed was actually so sticky and tastey It was not dense buds and if I did it right I would have got much more but it all helped me to give up tobacco for 8 months. Kinda doing the same now. If I have a grow goin on its basically never ending weeed and any time I want a drink or smoke tobacco I just hit a bong, fresh home grown has a much more powerful effect! I didnt even cure mine most of it I picked early and dried on a lamp under my desk hahah crazy days. Mad thing is I got away with it and somehow produced some smokable bud! Shows how tough these plants are!

jmand

jmand

yeah not sure man hemp could be growing wild in your area?
I actually am not sure but things are all fruiting now so it might be the perfect time for males to release pollon and if its from a grow then obvs could be at any time of year...

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

I am growing 4 white widow plants and they look great but the phenotypes are so different. As a beginner I expected all the plants to look the same but each one is so different. One was a runt, so spindly I almost pulled it, now it's towering over the others and looks very Sativa-ish, even the buds are growing differently and it looks to be the frostiest so far also! Keep the runts I guess?
Yeah I ran into this with two plants of the same strain fed and treated exactly the same. Both autos of OG Kush from growers choice. The runt was nice and short for me and flowered in time and was super frosty. The other stretched almost 200% and is still in flower and will be for the next several weeks after I harvested the runt. I find it so crazy how different they can be.
Your grow looks really good you are doing excellent work btw. Here is a picture before I harvested my runt plant. You can follow the pheno differences in my grow diary if your bored. 😬🤓

8F067ED7 2212 45B8 93AC E602E441ADED
21C9BB0E 5974 40BC 866C F3D8003C79E8

jmand

jmand

Yeah I ran into this with two plants of the same strain fed and treated exactly the same. Both autos of OG Kush from growers choice. The runt was nice and short for me and flowered in time and was super frosty. The other stretched almost 200% and is still in flower and will be for the next several weeks after I harvested the runt. I find it so crazy how different they can be.
Your grow looks really good you are doing excellent work btw. Here is a picture before I harvested my runt plant. You can follow the pheno differences in my grow diary if your bored. 😬🤓

View attachment 1160630View attachment 1160631
wow wtf really those are same strain!??! mental almost like if it was not auto you could keep that tall one as a mother plant it has so many stalks!!

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

wow wtf really those are same strain!??! mental almost like if it was not auto you could keep that tall one as a mother plant it has so many stalks!!
Yeah bad genetics from the breeder I am told. Next run will be from someplace different. But yeah totally insane that they are completely different. I did get a good 3 ounces from the runt and she only had 2.3 x 1’ space way below the lights and the other canopy. Moral of the story runts are not always a bad thing. 🤓

jmand

jmand

Yeah bad genetics from the breeder I am told. Next run will be from someplace different. But yeah totally insane that they are completely different. I did get a good 3 ounces from the runt and she only had 2.3 x 1’ space way below the lights and the other canopy. Moral of the story runts are not always a bad thing. 🤓
man for me its all about finding that perfect strain for yurself and mothering that and making a production train with some in constant veg ready to go into the grow space once that batch it done.. I want to get a mother plant going on for sure, make clones.. Then you know wht you getting every time!

Latest posts

Top Bottom