**First Grow** Journal (PUDC & Sour Power) with the Spider Farmer SE5000

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

Hey all,

Thanks for all the help getting started! Now it’s time to put it in action and see how it turns out!

Equipment:
3x3x6 Tent, Spider-Farmer SE3000 (no, it wasn’t free lol), AC Infinity 6” exhaust & carbon filter w T/H controller, 6” Horticulture Dust Shroom, 5” clip on fan, 1500w oil filled radiator, 3 gallon fabric Smartpots, surge protector with mechanical timer, zip ties and a whole lot of duct tape.

Setup:
I have the tent in the basement. Exhaust fan and lights are setup in a typical manner. I have the tent venting about 8’ away into a janitor style sink and I have 2 short pieces of 6” duct, one on each side of the tent, for intake from the floor. One intake has a piece of cheap furnace filter over it and the other is just the dust shroom. I have the radiator about a foot from the intake vent.

Medium:
70% Canna Coco Professional Plus / 30% Expanded clay marbles (eyeballed 70/30)

Nutrients:
Mantis Buffered Nutrients.
(This is a 1 part nutrient that supposedly needs no PH adjusting because it buffers it I guess. Also apparently you use it from seed to harvest without using anything else.)

Tent Environment:
New York climate. Temps on dry runs of 11am-11pm lights @ 25% are 68-76F and 40%-50% Humidity with nothing in the tent.

Strains:
3 HumboldtSeedCompany Pineapple Upside Down Cake (feminized)
1 Sour Power seed from a dank delicious gassy bag (found 3 in an eighth)

Objective:
Grow the best quality possible with the chosen setup and equipment. Quantity is not important, only quality. I am only popping 3 Pineapples in case 1 doesn’t germinate.

This is my very first grow. I hope it goes well!

First grow journal pudc  sour power with the spider farmer se5000

Dothraki

Dothraki

Right now I have the seeds in distilled water soaking in a bowl in a dark, warm cupboard. They will go into paper towels tomorrow. I plan to wet the coco mix right before putting them into solo cups. My light is at 25% at 30” above the solo cups. That’s where I plan to start with the light, and see how it goes for the seedling phase. I will post pics every step of the way as soon as they are germinated.

Any suggestions or help along the way would be awesome!

Dothraki

Dothraki

Edit: I just added a seed. It came from Humboldt Seed Company called Lemon Grass. So now I have Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Sour Power, and LemonGrass soaking in the paper towel, in a cupboard that’s fairly warm maybe 78F

Do you guys think 30” on 25% would be a good starting point for my light? It’s a 300w bar style full spectrum LED.

Krispy420

Krispy420

Hi I'm doing my first indoor grow along with you 👍 Best of luck to you. I planted my germinated seeds on the twelfth, put them under 25% brightness at about 35" and I just checked them a couple hours ago and saw they are sprouted now. 30" should be plenty far enough but if you got any extra room you can move it up too. they don't need much light to sprout and get going. I'm in a 4x2 with 2 different 150 watt lights so different setup but kinda similar too. I am just flying by the seat of my pants as well but you gotta start somewhere

20211115 210124
Dothraki

Dothraki

Hi I'm doing my first indoor grow along with you 👍 Best of luck to you. I planted my germinated seeds on the twelfth, put them under 25% brightness at about 35" and I just checked them a couple hours ago and saw they are sprouted now. 30" should be plenty far enough but if you got any extra room you can move it up too. they don't need much light to sprout and get going. I'm in a 4x2 with 2 different 150 watt lights so different setup but kinda similar too. I am just flying by the seat of my pants as well but you gotta start somewhere
Awesome!!! Thanks for the tip, I’m glad I’m in the right ballpark at least. Do you have a Journal going? We should follow each others to the end haha. Looks like you’re doing coco/perlite? What sort of temps and humidity are you working with?

Krispy420

Krispy420

Awesome!!! Thanks for the tip, I’m glad I’m in the right ballpark at least. Do you have a Journal going? We should follow each others to the end haha. Looks like you’re doing coco/perlite? What sort of temps and humidity are you working with?
hey I don't think I will do a journal per se but I will definitely be asking questions if I run into trouble. It's all soil potting mix. Half miracle gro potting mix (which is what i used outdoors this year) and half fox farm ocean forest. I'm in new york also. I left the water in the tent just to give them a little RH boost but it's been between 65 and 75. dropped a little lower in the pic because tent was open. Not too worried about the low humidity once the plant gets established but from what I've gathered they like a little bit of a higher RH when they are seedling/early veg. Temps have been 69-75. Lights are low so they are not adding much temp over ambient which is 68. They are both autos (purple punch) which is why i just started them in the 5 gal. I cheaped out on the carbon filter for now because I'm not too worried about the smell. that will be a possible upgrade in the future but for now i just have a cheap 6" inline fan for exhaust it's a little noisier than I'd like but oh well.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Looking good. Humboldt seed company has never done me wrong. I’ve grown a number of their gear. Happy grows.
burnz

SpiderFarmerLED

Supporter
Sp
Hey all,

Thanks for all the help getting started! Now it’s time to put it in action and see how it turns out!

Equipment:
3x3x6 Tent, Spider-Farmer SE3000 (no, it wasn’t free lol), AC Infinity 6” exhaust & carbon filter w T/H controller, 6” Horticulture Dust Shroom, 5” clip on fan, 1500w oil filled radiator, 3 gallon fabric Smartpots, surge protector with mechanical timer, zip ties and a whole lot of duct tape.

Setup:
I have the tent in the basement. Exhaust fan and lights are setup in a typical manner. I have the tent venting about 8’ away into a janitor style sink and I have 2 short pieces of 6” duct, one on each side of the tent, for intake from the floor. One intake has a piece of cheap furnace filter over it and the other is just the dust shroom. I have the radiator about a foot from the intake vent.

Medium:
70% Canna Coco Professional Plus / 30% Expanded clay marbles (eyeballed 70/30)

Nutrients:
Mantis Buffered Nutrients.
(This is a 1 part nutrient that supposedly needs no PH adjusting because it buffers it I guess. Also apparently you use it from seed to harvest without using anything else.)

Tent Environment:
New York climate. Temps on dry runs of 11am-11pm lights @ 25% are 68-76F and 40%-50% Humidity with nothing in the tent.

Strains:
3 HumboldtSeedCompany Pineapple Upside Down Cake (feminized)
1 Sour Power seed from a dank delicious gassy bag (found 3 in an eighth)

Objective:
Grow the best quality possible with the chosen setup and equipment. Quantity is not important, only quality. I am only popping 3 Pineapples in case 1 doesn’t germinate.

This is my very first grow. I hope it goes well!

View attachment 1188480
Spider Farmer SE3000!!!!!!Goooooo~

Chem77

Chem77

Edit: I just added a seed. It came from Humboldt Seed Company called Lemon Grass. So now I have Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Sour Power, and LemonGrass soaking in the paper towel, in a cupboard that’s fairly warm maybe 78F

Do you guys think 30” on 25% would be a good starting point for my light? It’s a 300w bar style full spectrum LED.
I think that would be a good starting point, I don’t have that light though.

Dothraki

Dothraki

All 5 seeds grew a tail...woohoo! Into solo cups w coco/clay mixture they go..tomorrow, pre-wetted with the Mantis solution and under a dome. Now, 5 plants in a 3x3 might not be the best idea. But I plan to shoot for 4. Any tips on how to keep them small?

Dothraki

Dothraki

One seed (Sour Power bag seed) left it‘s shell before I could put it in the medium. I’m hoping that didn’t predestine it for doom. I made the coco moist by mixing it with a little water/mantis before scooping it with solo cups. I’m not sure if it was enough water because it’s damp but not really wet. I sprayed the tops with some water/Mantis from a windex style bottle and will check later to see if it’s dry or still moist.

Here is a pic of the seed that decided to become a seedling in the paper towel.

F8F995E0 0251 4F23 867E AEDF03D503DC

Dothraki

Dothraki

Decided to start the light at 25% 3ft above the medium (36”). 18 on / 6 off (5am-11pm light).

One of the Pineapples had a tiny little tail, maybe didn’t get enough water during paper towel soak? The tip was slightly brownish I think. I marked this one the “Runt”. I figure maybe there’s something different about it and see how it grows. I always hear the runts end up better usually. But probably just didnt get enough water in paper towel. The Sour Power was the rapid one.

Last edited:
Dothraki

Dothraki

The Sour Power already pushed the rest of the way up and opened up. No sign of the rest of em yet. But SP looks like a little Venus flytrap now. Hoping they have enough water...didn’t wet the medium that much at all. Not sure if these are notes to myself or if I’m looking for feedback but, maybe this journal will be helpful for someone else in the future, sort of a first grow from a first grower‘s perspective trying to get everything right. The reality of environment control is probably the most difficult and unexpected aspect before walking into this project. If I had the money I’d get an air conditioner, heater, humidifier and dehumidifier all in the room to control the intake. Even under the dome the RH isn’t getting much past 50%.

Slickrick82

Slickrick82

For all u beginners make it easy on urself.u would want to mimic the outside world with temp humity and light.if u haven't already grab urself a temp and humity controllers just dial it in.and when it comes down to soil best bet would b organic soil ,living soil/super soil all u have to do is just water all day way to the end.insead of feeding the plant u feed the soil instead. Way easier cheaper. Look into it I had many great results. Right now I'm useing purple cow IndiCanja had no issues at all best of luck happy 4.20

Dothraki

Dothraki

For all u beginners make it easy on urself.u would want to mimic the outside world with temp humity and light.if u haven't already grab urself a temp and humity controllers just dial it in.and when it comes down to soil best bet would b organic soil ,living soil/super soil all u have to do is just water all day way to the end.insead of feeding the plant u feed the soil instead. Way easier cheaper. Look into it I had many great results. Right now I'm useing purple cow IndiCanja had no issues at all best of luck happy 4.20
Do you mean temp/humidity controller for the exhaust fan? Unfortunately they can’t raise the temp or humidity. I think they are probably more useful in flower. But yeah I think growing organic would be ideal for flavor and aroma. Although you can run into issues with PH, deficiencies, toxicities etc. and takes longer to correct the issue and sometimes is too late, hydro would be the opposite...I think Coco Coir mix is the perfect in between. I’m also using a 1 part nutrient that never changes ratio or schedule, doesn’t need to be PHd, and is the exact same seed to harvest. Best setup for my first grow, but everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. I do plan to grow organic at some point. Maybe a side by side with a couple clones would be cool.

Slickrick82

Slickrick82

Do you mean temp/humidity controller for the exhaust fan? Unfortunately they can’t raise the temp or humidity. I think they are probably more useful in flower. But yeah I think growing organic would be ideal for flavor and aroma. Although you can run into issues with PH, deficiencies, toxicities etc. and takes longer to correct the issue and sometimes is too late, hydro would be the opposite...I think Coco Coir mix is the perfect in between. I’m also using a 1 part nutrient that never changes ratio or schedule, doesn’t need to be PHd, and is the exact same seed to harvest. Best setup for my first grow, but everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. I do plan to grow organic at some point. Maybe a side by side with a couple clones would be cool.
Yes one contoler for cool and heat other humity/dehumidifier. Takes all the guess work threw out whole grow. Set temp and humity u good.but with the ph swing shouldn't un less u used something that is killing the microbes and fungi in soil. Like chlorine in tap water witch will slowly turn ur flower lave yellow etc..but u know what u doing sounds like but yeah should definitely . Grab ur self bag of solhum or purple cow . Ull b amazed on results. Use molasses toward end of flowering too they love it

Dothraki

Dothraki

Yes one contoler for cool and heat other humity/dehumidifier. Takes all the guess work threw out whole grow. Set temp and humity u good.but with the ph swing shouldn't un less u used something that is killing the microbes and fungi in soil. Like chlorine in tap water witch will slowly turn ur flower lave yellow etc..but u know what u doing sounds like but yeah should definitely . Grab ur self bag of solhum or purple cow . Ull b amazed on results. Use molasses toward end of flowering too they love it
Cool thanks for the tips! The Mantis does regulate PH but I should probably leave my water out overnight to help evaporate the chlorine. I thought about using a Britta filter but didn’t want to strip out any useful minerals from the water....not sure if that’s a valid concern or not.

Slickrick82

Slickrick82

Cool thanks for the tips! The Mantis does regulate PH but I should probably leave my water out overnight to help evaporate the chlorine. I thought about using a Britta filter but didn’t want to strip out any useful minerals from the water....not sure if that’s a valid concern or not.
Caborn filter but yeah Brita what I use . If not spring water or rain water. But yeah a day or two should b good to go.here few of my grows
20210719 022510
20201018 151732
20211001 082848

Dothraki

Dothraki

growsince79

growsince79

5 plants in a 3 x 3 can get crowded in a hurry. You might consider a very short veg.

Latest posts

Top Bottom