**First Grow** Journal (PUDC & Sour Power) with the Spider Farmer SE5000

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

Raised light 2”

I think I was way off at 36” 25% in the beginning. Should’ve probably been 25% @ 24”

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
For what it’s worth im germinating seedlings currently with the se3000 as well.
have my light at 4ft over the canopy at 80-90%, Feel it gives good light at this stage, and Easier to keep the light at higher power and only adjust 1 factor.
I popped seeds Monday, right from the packs.

B83E9D4B 3341 4DFC 9F6C ED3E574AFE8E
757C81B6 5624 46EB A681 20F1C38A0E72
Last edited:
Krispy420

Krispy420

hey how's it going man? You got some snow over there? It's starting to look and feel alot like winter over here. 36" at 25% worked out well for me but i only had it set that way until shortly after they sprouted. I'm at 5 days since sprout and I've already worked them down to 26" at 60% brightness. It's all trial and error for me manual says 24-30" for germination and 24" for seedling and 24-18 for veg doesn't mention brightness so that may be assuming 100%. Anyway my plan from here was to just keep slowly dialing up the brightness and moving the light closer.

20211120 214049
Dothraki

Dothraki

For what it’s worth im germinating seedlings currently with the se3000 as well.
have my light at 4ft over the canopy at 80-90%, Feel it gives good light at this stage, and Easier to keep the light at higher power and only adjust 1 factor.
I popped seeds Monday, right from the packs.
Haha, nice! Looks like we are on the same timeline. Mine were popped in paper towel then went into cups on the 17th, Wed.
hey how's it going man? You got some snow over there? It's starting to look and feel alot like winter over here. 36" at 25% worked out well for me but i only had it set that way until shortly after they sprouted. I'm at 5 days since sprout and I've already worked them down to 26" at 60% brightness. It's all trial and error for me manual says 24-30" for germination and 24" for seedling and 24-18 for veg doesn't mention brightness so that may be assuming 100%. Anyway my plan from here was to just keep slowly dialing up the brightness and moving the light closer.
Cool. Is it the same light by chance? Looks like you’re on the same timeline as Mr. G and I. I’ll have to see if you guys have a journal going and follow along. Trial and error for me too. I hope in a couple months I can taste that diesel...and pineapple...and whatever Lemon Grass tastes like, never heard of it lol.

Krispy420

Krispy420

Haha, nice! Looks like we are on the same timeline. Mine were popped in paper towel then went into cups on the 17th, Wed.

Cool. Is it the same light by chance? Looks like you’re on the same timeline as Mr. G and I. I’ll have to see if you guys have a journal going and follow along. Trial and error for me too. I hope in a couple months I can taste that diesel...and pineapple...and whatever Lemon Grass tastes like, never heard of it lol.
No it's not the same light. I have one mars hydro and one viparspectra. Sorry I'm not trying to jack your thread I just can tell you have been curious about how far/ where to set the lights like I have been also. My main thing was I just didn't want to shock/burn or stunt it right off the get go but also didn't want them to get too stretchy to stand up straight. So far so good though the stretch seems to be minimal, they're standing up nice and the growth has been noticeable every day. Just out of curiosity what does your manual say in regards to recommended distance/brightness if anything?

Dothraki

Dothraki

No it's not the same light. I have one mars hydro and one viparspectra. Sorry I'm not trying to jack your thread I just can tell you have been curious about how far/ where to set the lights like I have been also. My main thing was I just didn't want to shock/burn or stunt it right off the get go but also didn't want them to get too stretchy to stand up straight. So far so good though the stretch seems to be minimal, they're standing up nice and the growth has been noticeable every day. Just out of curiosity what does your manual say in regards to recommended distance/brightness if anything?
Cool...according to spider-farmer ... but It’s not clear at all what they are defining as Germ, seedling, etc. has % but not distance and use different terms for distance lol

633C6DC3 E2D4 421F B8E8 E01BEDA65625

Dothraki

Dothraki

So the “Runt” apparently decided to develop while underground. This seed only sprouted a tiny taproot with a little brown on the tip. I threw it in the medium just to see what would happen and just noticed it today starting to poke out. So I moved the coco off of it and noticed it already started growing it’s first true leaves....while underground and inside the cotyledon leaves!!!

6FDB3AF2 0E50 4637 8B53 E55C813A0947

Dothraki

Dothraki

Approaching 1 week in cups tomorrow. Couple of them are at least 3” tall, wondering if light needs to come closer but then there’s this.... looks like it’s getting too much light?

T=78F
H=55-65%

CA3719A9 13D5 4F23 8D46 6DBA554170B9
55824089 37FD 470E 9B4D F72181379192

Dothraki

Dothraki

Sooo, I went and bought a cool mist humidifier for the tent. Not sure if that was a bright idea since it lowered my temp 5 degrees. I have it turning off when the lights go out so it doesn’t get too cold at night. H went up in the tent i think to 65% at 73F. Now it’s lights out, 75F 45% H. Maybe it’ll drop through the night, both temp and H.

Was on another thread and a few of you mentioned taking them out of the dome. Thanks lol, I didn’t realize that was more for clones or germination the first 2-3 days. Not seedlings a week old HaHa!

And this is why I don’t hold babies.

Last edited:
Jakecan

Jakecan

I like to keep the dome on if i'm having trouble keeping the humidity up. Usually domes will have vents too that you can open a little bit to help control the humidity. I wouldn't worry too much about the burnt tips. Your seedlings look healthy. Like I said people tend not to use nutrients for the first couple weeks of their life because they don't necessarily need it. Just make sure not to over water and they will be as happy as can be. As for the humidifier cooling down your tent, Are you able to control the temperature outside of your tent? That might help while the lights are off.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I like to keep the dome on if i'm having trouble keeping the humidity up. Usually domes will have vents too that you can open a little bit to help control the humidity. I wouldn't worry too much about the burnt tips. Your seedlings look healthy. Like I said people tend not to use nutrients for the first couple weeks of their life because they don't necessarily need it. Just make sure not to over water and they will be as happy as can be. As for the humidifier cooling down your tent, Are you able to control the temperature outside of your tent? That might help while the lights are off.
I have a little oil radiator next to the tent but it puts the heat out upwards so doesnt help a ton but maybe raises it a few degrees in the area. It’s weird, the first few days they were growing fast as hell, first leaves getting bigger every few hours. But they were growing really tall too, like 3” in the first few days so I lowered the light from 36” to around 22” still 25% - 35% power. The 2nd set of true leaves don’t appear to be growing at all. Just tiny little things and don’t appear to be getting bigger. Growth is super super slow compared to the first 5 days.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Patience. Such an important part of growing,
It’s growing roots. Need the roots to see the fruits. 👌

Dothraki

Dothraki

Patience. Such an important part of growing,
It’s growing roots. Need the roots to see the fruits. 👌
It doesn’t have anything to do with patience. I’m not impatient or wanting them to grow faster...I’m just using the growth rate as a measurement in comparison to get help diagnosing their conditions. My guess is light height and intensity are probably wrong, but without a PAR meter there’s no way to know other than looking for signs in the leaves and growth rate. I thought about propping one of them up 7” closer to the light and see what happens.

Jakecan

Jakecan

It feels like so much happens from germination to seedling with first true leaves but then those true leaves start growing and after about a week or so is when you tend to see exponential growth. Shes just doing her thing and i'm sure is loving the environment so far :) patience totally is key.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Since it’s your first time growing, I just wanted to calm your nerves. You’ve gotten lots of help on the farm to this point, and have no doubt your “helicopter” growing isn’t helping them put on leaves any quicker. 👌
Get a lux meter app for your phone, for what it’s worth, Ive got my se3000 lamp around 36” at 60% or so to get 5000lux for baby’s.

Dothraki

Dothraki

It feels like so much happens from germination to seedling with first true leaves but then those true leaves start growing and after about a week or so is when you tend to see exponential growth. Shes just doing her thing and i'm sure is loving the environment so far :) patience totally is key.
Since it’s your first time growing, I just wanted to calm your nerves. You’ve gotten lots of help on the farm to this point, and have no doubt your “helicopter” growing isn’t helping them put on leaves any quicker. 👌
Get a lux meter app for your phone, for what it’s worth, Ive got my se3000 lamp around 36” at 60% or so to get 5000lux for baby’s.
I do like input from everyone...the larger the pool to pull from the more I can get a clear picture of the information. Always lies somewhere in between. So thanks for the input both of you! I jacked up the runt 3.5” closer to the light...someone has to be the guinea pig might as well be the deformed one lol.

Jakecan

Jakecan

I do like input from everyone...the larger the pool to pull from the more I can get a clear picture of the information. Always lies somewhere in between. So thanks for the input both of you! I jacked up the runt 3.5” closer to the light...someone has to be the guinea pig might as well be the deformed one lol.
Absolutely! Thats the whole point of these forums is to share experiences and to help others :)! Experimenting is the best approach if you're unsure of something. Remember small tweaks and one tweak at a time!

Latest posts

Top Bottom