Hi, this Is my First grow.
It's an automatic WW by rqs
I dont know if shes ready
First grow ready to harvest

First grow ready to harvest 2
First grow ready to harvest 3
WankirA

WankirA

Nice looking ww @Nanni70 , get onto amazon (or similar) n get a jewelers loupe, about 30x magnification upwards should be good.
I ordered mine this morning for about 3fiddy...

Clear tricomes are too early. About 30% milky upwards is the general advice where they good to go, though they turn amber if left a little longer.

Milky tricomes make for more energetic highs, more amber creates the couch lock effect.
Would suggest you wait till you have a little amber, most clear will be milky by then, but your call.
Harvest when you hit your sweetspot.
Also be aware if you have used specific nutrients, you may need to flush and leave in darkness for a couple days before you chop your girl. This will clear some nutes/salts out and allow plant to use up reserves in leaves (they should turn yellow as plant pulls nutes from leaves.)
Good luck.

Last edited:
N

Nanni70

Nice looking ww @Nanni70 , get onto amazon (or similar) n get a jewelers loupe, about 30x magnification upwards should be good.
I ordered mine this morning for about 3fiddy...

Clear tricomes are too early. About 30% milky upwards is the general advice where they good to go, though they turn amber if left a little longer.

Milky tricomes make for more energetic highs, more amber creates the couch lock effect.
Would suggest you wait till you have a little amber, most clear will be milky by then, but your call.
Harvest when you hit your sweetspot.
Also be aware if you have used specific nutrients, you may need to flush and leave in darkness for a couple days before you chop your girl. This will clear some nutes/salts out and allow plant to use up reserves in leaves (they should turn yellow as plant pulls nutes from leaves.)
Good luck.
If i cant magnify the tricomes, should i have a look on pistils? They are almost all brownish

WankirA

WankirA

Not an ideal method imo, have a rummage for a magnifying glass if you broke, but you really need something to look at the tricomes.
An anecdote I heard (bare in mind i'm a noob grower too and am 6 weeks away from where you are now) is that while it looks dusted in 'sugar' in the natural light its too early, they need to look like dusted with sand. Also the nugs need to feel firm under a little pressure.

For a swing and a miss i would say If you gonna flush, start now, a heavy watering ONLY, and proceed to water sparingly (leave her 2-3 even 4 days) you will see the leaves at the bottom of the plant start turning yellow in reaction to losing nutrients, it'll canabilise itself via the leaves to get all vestiges of nutrients out of itself.
This will move you forward (say saturday) another heavy drink and then 'no more light' with only the water to sustain her.
Best guess says after a couple waters and a few days in dark and she will probably be ready for you.

Unfortunately I think you need some basics if you are taking it seriously and the tool to tell you "when" is a magnifyer loupe (2 dollars on Amazon!). Imho!

But AT THIS MOMENT, she doesn't look quite ready: dont fuck up your crop for the sake of a spy glass that i'm sure you can find in a drawer somewhere or borrow one from a neighbour/friend .

It WILL make the difference between a great crop and shit.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

If i cant magnify the tricomes, should i have a look on pistils? They are almost all brownish
You have several weeks to go, don't rush it you'll only short yourself on quantity and quality in the end

WankirA

WankirA

You have several weeks to go
Am tremendously glad you stepped in here BW, i am more than equal to the tasks I set myself but remote readiness isn't one of them.
Listen to @Beachwalker @Nanni70: my voice is more opinion, BW is more likely to be fact.
And get yourself a spyglass , ASAP!

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Not an ideal method imo, have a rummage for a magnifying glass if you broke, but you really need something to look at the tricomes.
An anecdote I heard (bare in mind i'm a noob grower too and am 6 weeks away from where you are now) is that while it looks dusted in 'sugar' in the natural light its too early, they need to look like dusted with sand. Also the nugs need to feel firm under a little pressure.

For a swing and a miss i would say If you gonna flush, start now, a heavy watering ONLY, and proceed to water sparingly (leave her 2-3 even 4 days) you will see the leaves at the bottom of the plant start turning yellow in reaction to losing nutrients, it'll canabilise itself via the leaves to get all vestiges of nutrients out of itself.
This will move you forward (say saturday) another heavy drink and then 'no more light' with only the water to sustain her.
Best guess says after a couple waters and a few days in dark and she will probably be ready for you.

Unfortunately I think you need some basics if you are taking it seriously and the tool to tell you "when" is a magnifyer loupe (2 dollars on Amazon!). Imho!

But AT THIS MOMENT, she doesn't look quite ready: dont fuck up your crop for the sake of a spy glass that i'm sure you can find in a drawer somewhere or borrow one from a neighbour/friend .

It WILL make the difference between a great crop and shit.
If you're a noob, maybe you should hold off on propagating advice that you know little about. You're parroting bullshit.

OP, pistils turning orange, and the calyxes swelling are a decent proxy for "done-ness". It is often said, "wait till you think she's done, and then wait another week". That's not bad advice if you're in doubt. But a magnifier is certainly a help, and they are cheap enough these days. Your plant above is some weeks away, based on the number of new pistils in the pic, is my opinion. It's probably decent weed now, will just get better. It isn't going to turn to shit if you don't get a magnifier. Don't listen to one-crop wonder boys.

The above advice on flushing is ignorant, IMO. The poster admits he's never done this before. I have a post elsewhere on here (search for VPD) that cites a peer reviewed paper that measured the effects of flushing on nutrient load in the plant. There was zero effect. Flushing is a myth. There is no transport mechanism in the root membranes that sucks nutrients out of the plant back into the soil. This is well understood science, except to newb weed growers.

Healthy plants produce healthy bud. My advice is to just stay on program for the rest of your grow. Water as needed. Feed lightly if at all; plants slow nutrient uptake towards the end. Maybe one more time, is all you need. Leaves will yellow, and that's OK. "few days in the dark" is ignorant bullshit. The only thing plants do in the dark is some sugar metabolism, and that completes over a normal night. My advice is to just treat the plant like you would a tomato plant, and learn to do that well, before you try tricks. After 40 years of growing, I do -no- tricks, and reliably produce large yields of quality weed. See second link in my sig for last year's example.

WankirA

WankirA

Hey @Nanni70 Am really sorry, I appear to have given you a few wrong pointers, as I said previously, pay attention to the more experienced here, most will not steer you wrong.
Hello @OldManRiver
Firstly, thanks for taking the time rectify the situation based on your wealth of experience.
However I dont think you are helping the forum when you respond to what was VERY CLEARLY a new growers shot in the dark.

There is no justification for you to laud your most excellent knowledge over us in such a base and frankly unsociable manner, none at all. While your 'analysis' of my comments is half right, I am indeed A NOOB.
But wasnt I clear about that? Think I was EVER so clear that someone else would be in a better position to answer appropriately.

Regards the annecdotal points, look at OPs post, if not delayed, that plant may well be chopped by now.

Regards your flushing comments, your premise is just wrong, I never once mentioned or proposed any mechanism where a plant releases its nutrients back to the ground, in fact I stated very clearly in the absence of nutrients in its feed it would begin to cannibalize its own store of nutrients.

Now, I may be new but I will learn, however you are coming across as a smug wanker and every smug wanker I EVER met is still a smug wanker.

I do hope I caught you on a bad day, because if I post anything that god forbid, doesnt match YOUR expertise then I may as well leave the forum now. After all who wants to feel chastised when they make a mistake?!?

And as I sign off, I will reflect on a few things:

1. What it must be like to be so cocksure of yourself that you feel its alright to diminish someone 'for their admitted flawed opinion'.

2. How alienating it really is on those who come here to learn when overbearing attitudes treat them poorly simply because 'they know better.

3. How many people have perhaps already left this forum for others because of said attitudes to the detriment of all of us.

Cheers
W

FrankieG

FrankieG

They need to go a bit longer. A lot of farmers will talk about trichomes, clear vs. milky and they're right, they're a good gauge on where your plant is. I'm strictly an outdoor farmer and I look at the trichomes under magnification and through photos. I have also ended up waiting a little too long to harvest as I was waiting on the perfect trichome combination , and what I lost waiting was nose. The deciding factor for me on chop time these days is smell. This garden, year after year hits a point of LOUD that gets super intense for about a 2 week period, I can always smell them when near the garden, but during this time, they wreak so hard it's paranoia inducing..I can smell them from my mailbox completely on the other side of the property...These days I take them about a week into that window. I've taken flowers from the same plants at different times through out harvest for years, and potency, IMO, is rarely discernible, but the nose, the taste and smoothness really comes out when taken at the height of their smell. It's a balancing act, but not too hard to figure out once you get a few gardens under your belt. Happy farming.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Hey @Nanni70 Am really sorry, I appear to have given you a few wrong pointers, as I said previously, pay attention to the more experienced here, most will not steer you wrong.
Hello @OldManRiver
Firstly, thanks for taking the time rectify the situation based on your wealth of experience.
However I dont think you are helping the forum when you respond to what was VERY CLEARLY a new growers shot in the dark.

There is no justification for you to laud your most excellent knowledge over us in such a base and frankly unsociable manner, none at all. While your 'analysis' of my comments is half right, I am indeed A NOOB.
But wasnt I clear about that? Think I was EVER so clear that someone else would be in a better position to answer appropriately.

Regards the annecdotal points, look at OPs post, if not delayed, that plant may well be chopped by now.

Regards your flushing comments, your premise is just wrong, I never once mentioned or proposed any mechanism where a plant releases its nutrients back to the ground, in fact I stated very clearly in the absence of nutrients in its feed it would begin to cannibalize its own store of nutrients.

Now, I may be new but I will learn, however you are coming across as a smug wanker and every smug wanker I EVER met is still a smug wanker.

I do hope I caught you on a bad day, because if I post anything that god forbid, doesnt match YOUR expertise then I may as well leave the forum now. After all who wants to feel chastised when they make a mistake?!?

And as I sign off, I will reflect on a few things:

1. What it must be like to be so cocksure of yourself that you feel its alright to diminish someone 'for their admitted flawed opinion'.

2. How alienating it really is on those who come here to learn when overbearing attitudes treat them poorly simply because 'they know better.

3. How many people have perhaps already left this forum for others because of said attitudes to the detriment of all of us.

Cheers
W
If you don't want to be chastised for posting ignorant advice that you demonstrably know little about, perhaps you shouldn't post ignorant advice that you know little about. I said nothing about you, I criticized your advice. You repeated a bunch of crap that you read. You got called out for it being false info. Sorry if that was uncomfortable. It's not my desire to demean you, just to protect new growers from new grower mythical shit. I apologize for my manner, I know I can be harsh. If I seem smug, it might have to do with the confidence that 40 years of growing experience, research and checking my facts brings.

Don't know what you do for a living, but I wonder what your opinion of me would be if I walked into that workplace and started blathering on about your area of expertise without any experience of my own.

Ace9137

Ace9137

If you're a noob, maybe you should hold off on propagating advice that you know little about. You're parroting bullshit.

OP, pistils turning orange, and the calyxes swelling are a decent proxy for "done-ness". It is often said, "wait till you think she's done, and then wait another week". That's not bad advice if you're in doubt. But a magnifier is certainly a help, and they are cheap enough these days. Your plant above is some weeks away, based on the number of new pistils in the pic, is my opinion. It's probably decent weed now, will just get better. It isn't going to turn to shit if you don't get a magnifier. Don't listen to one-crop wonder boys.

The above advice on flushing is ignorant, IMO. The poster admits he's never done this before. I have a post elsewhere on here (search for VPD) that cites a peer reviewed paper that measured the effects of flushing on nutrient load in the plant. There was zero effect. Flushing is a myth. There is no transport mechanism in the root membranes that sucks nutrients out of the plant back into the soil. This is well understood science, except to newb weed growers.

Healthy plants produce healthy bud. My advice is to just stay on program for the rest of your grow. Water as needed. Feed lightly if at all; plants slow nutrient uptake towards the end. Maybe one more time, is all you need. Leaves will yellow, and that's OK. "few days in the dark" is ignorant bullshit. The only thing plants do in the dark is some sugar metabolism, and that completes over a normal night. My advice is to just treat the plant like you would a tomato plant, and learn to do that well, before you try tricks. After 40 years of growing, I do -no- tricks, and reliably produce large yields of quality weed. See second link in my sig for last year's example.
I love the way you put it out there. I know you are right, in fact dead on. Thank you for being a voice of reason in all this madness.

Ace9137

Ace9137

I would say a week. Although I have grown a few BB auto's and they sometimes look like they are on the verge and they go a little longer.

Ace9137

Ace9137

I am just a gardener. There is no magic.
Everybody buys into the sales gimmicks. I worked in sales for many years, product markup is 300% once the product goes to the retailers. Most of what you buy is designed to fail, and most salespersons tend to make outrageous claims. When I first started growing I was soooooooooooooo duped by so many claims, karma I guess.

FrankieG

FrankieG

That's a fact Ace, the most I ever learned about growing marijuana was a few years ago when I took a season off and just grew 2 little ones in the ground. They didn't get all the lavish shit I'd been sold before, they got water, they got some horseshit, they got water only when they needed it.....and it was easily the best grass I ever grew....Less is more and genetics is everything.

Ace9137

Ace9137

That's a fact Ace, the most I ever learned about growing marijuana was a few years ago when I took a season off and just grew 2 little ones in the ground. They didn't get all the lavish shit I'd been sold before, they got water, they got some horseshit, they got water only when they needed it.....and it was easily the best grass I ever grew....Less is more and genetics is everything.
Exactly how I grow, I use very little nutrients, nothing fancy.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Exactly how I grow, I use very little nutrients, nothing fancy.
My stuff started getting more consistent when I quit studying pot growing, and started studying gardening/farming. The only thing different about weed is the extreme reaction to photoperiod. The principles that apply to tomatoes and peppers apply to weed. Good light, good drainage, good pH, and available nutrients.

What gets new weed growers into trouble, IMO, is a naive belief that you have to do special stuff, and conversely, that special stuff is more important than the basics. I see grow after grow where the grower is rambling on about the 17 things in his mix, which has given him a 3 foot scrawny stem with maybe 2 oz on it. I take simple care of a seed, and get trees.

Lotta ways to get there, no particular right one, but they all boil down to getting the foundation of good light, good drainage, good pH, and available nutrients right first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom