First Grow - Unknown Seed - Fingers crossed

• Thread starter stevieToker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stevieToker

stevieToker

First post and first grow.

I have been wanting to grow for a while, and spent the past 6 months or so reading up on different growing techniques. I settled on trying a super soil for my first grow.

This will serve as a test run for my growing technique. I am only going to be growing one plant for this first grow, it is a bag seed, which I am fairly certain is GG #4. If it turns out to be a male plant, no worries, my seeds arrived from canuk seeds today, so for future grows I have GG #4 fem, Jack Herer fem, Cheese fem, Kushy Kush fem, and Super Lemon Haze fem thrown in as a freebie.

I am about 9-10 days in since the taproot emerged using the papertowel method. The seedling is planted in a super soil mix I bought, I was going to build my own soil, i'll try that next time. The soil I am using is Stepwell SS-W Super Soil.

I have a Gorilla Tent 3'x3' shorty, running 1x Mars TS1000 LED light. I am using an Inkbird IHC 200 Humidity controller & the ITC 310T Temp controller, although I am not using the temp controller for now. Humidity controller is set to 70%, temp is around 80-85F when the light is on, a little bi/t cooler when it is off (running an 18/6 light schedule, btw).

I have the seedling in its final 7 gallon container, which may turn out to be a rookie mistake, but I am being careful with my watering.

I also started vermicomposting about 5 months ago. I plan on harvesting the compost in a week or two.

Any comments or tips are appreciated!

Some photos:

9th April
First grow   unknown seed   fingers crossed 3

13th April
First grow   unknown seed   fingers crossed

14th April
First grow   unknown seed   fingers crossed 2
First grow   unknown seed   fingers crossed 4

16th April (Today)
First grow   unknown seed   fingers crossed 5
First grow   unknown seed   fingers crossed 6

stevieToker

stevieToker

Decided to start one of the Cheese fem seeds; it would be good to have something to fall back on if the above seedling doesn't work out.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Looking good so far maybe start doing some research on plant deficiency there are some good site to look or read through , good luck .

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
Looks healthy, happy growing with Mars.
Welcome to join Mars Hydro 420giveaway, check here👇

stevieToker

stevieToker

Looking good so far maybe start doing some research on plant deficiency there are some good site to look or read through , good luck .

Is this general advice, or do you notice something that could be a problem? I am noticing a little bit of yellowing on a couple of leaf tips.

Cheese seed has germinated and is now in the soil.

3rd nodes emerging on the bag seed.

17th April
GG4   17th April 2020 AM

18th April
GG4   18th April 2020 AM
GG4   18th April 2020 PM

19th April
GG4   19th April 2020 AM
GG4   19th April 2020 PM

stevieToker

stevieToker

Few more days worth of pictures. Humidity was set a little high at 65% for a few days, it was set for the seedling stage and I forgot to change for vegetative stage. RH is now set at 55%.

I've put a plastic jug over top of the Cheese seedling to keep the humidity high. Got some other vegetable plants in the tent for now until it is warm enough for them to be transplanted outdoors.

The plant is currently working on its 6th node. I plan on topping to the 3rd node, I suppose I will be doing that any day now.

21st April
GG4   21st April 2020 AM1
GG4   21st April 2020 AM2

22nd April
GG4   22nd April 2020 AM1
GG4   22nd April 2020 AM

25th April
GG4   25th April 2020 PM1
GG4   25th April 2020 PM

stevieToker

stevieToker

Topped to the 3rd node tonight after the plant had started working on its 6th node. Attempting to use the topping as a clone, but I don't have a cloner or any cloning nutrients, so I am sure it won't work, fun to try though.

Cheese plant is at about 1.5 inches above the soil.

26th April
GG4   26th April 2020 PM1
GG4   26th April 2020 PM3
GG4   26th April 2020 PM2
GG4   26th April 2020 PM
Tent Overview   26th April 2020 PM

stevieToker

stevieToker

Interesting dome, i usually cut a soda bottle in half

I didn't think of that. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have anything of the sorts on hand right now, but will keep that in mind next time I have an empty soda bottle.

stevieToker

stevieToker

Uh oh! I think I have problems emerging. The fan leaves that I left on the plant are lightening in colour. I've posted some pictures below:

20200428 085803
20200428 085808

stevieToker

stevieToker

Made a compost tea...fed the plants last night, I will see how it goes. New growth is green, but fan leaves are getting worse. I hope the tea helps, don't really have any amendments to help at the moment.

Soil pH is around 6.5

BudBogart

BudBogart

It looks to me something is eating the underside of leaves. Anything tiny flying or crawling?

stevieToker

stevieToker

Nothing flying, nothing that I can see with the naked eye or a jewelers loupe underneath the leaf. Other than some pot worms underneath the fabric pot, there is nothing.

Stems are red and any pictures I look at of a magnesium deficiency look the same as my plant.

April 30th
GG4   30th April 2020 PM
GG4   30th April 2020 PM1
GG4   30th April 2020 PM2

Cheese FEM
Cheese FEM   30th April 2020 PM
Cheese FEM   30th April 2020 PM1

stevieToker

stevieToker

It has been a while since I posted an update.

It's definitely been a learning experience growing my own cannabis for the first time. Frustrating at times, but enjoyable. I love this hobby.

I've had issues along the way, but I think I have resolved them (or they were part of the first time grower panic and weren't problems in the first place).

I was concerned about broad mites as the Cheese plant had twisted growth, so sprayed with some neem oil. I either got it in time, or there were no broad mites to begin with; I checked with a jewellers loupe and couldn't see anything.

Due to thinking there were mites I moved the bag seed plant outside, and figured it would be a good experiment to have an indoor and an outdoor grow. This plant has been great outdoors. I kept it in the pot and let it do it's thing. I had already topped twice, expecting it to be an indoor grow. and ended up breaking a stem trying to train too vigorously, too early.

After topping the Cheese plant (and once again breaking a stem), I had some issues with leaves turning yellow in between the veins and at the tips, as well as tips curling up and down. I really wasn't sure what was going on here. I checked the pH, and found it to be a little on the acidic side. I had to be a little creative here, as I didn't really have anything to fix pH so I mixed biochar with RO water and brought the pH to 8.0, filtered out the chunks of biochar and watered. I also moved my lights up as they were a little bit close since the plant had grown. The yellowing hasn't got any worse and there has been no new leaves turning yellow. Fingers crossed this continues.

Lastly, I defoliated the cheese plant tonight as it was quite bushy and used some ties to flatten the canopy. I am thinking I will be flipping to 12/12 soon.

I've been taking pictures almost every day of the grow, but I will just post some more recent pictures showing the yellowing of the leaves and the plant tied down, as well as one of the outdoor plant.

Cheese:

20200611 104531 HDR
20200610 085449 HDR
20200611 210545 HDR

Bag Seed (Outdoor):

20200609 101321

stevieToker

stevieToker

Well, at this point I don't know. I am just hoping that I can make it to harvest. Both plants seem to have their issues and I don't know what to do.

The cheese strain growing indoors had some problems as stated previously, I have been watering more regularly and making sure the pH is between 6.0 & 7.0, leaning more towards the 6.0 - 6.5 range. It definitely improved and grew vigorously. Leaves are still dark with some clawing and some leaves slowly turning light green and falling off. I flipped to 12/12 about 2/3 weeks ago (I think a day or two after I posted last on Jun 11th). Perhaps someone can let me know if the plant and flowers are looking ok for the stage it is at.

The bag seed growing outdoors; I have practically lost hope. Water pH is fine and is watered on a regular basis. It has been hot and humid here in Ontario, so I suppose it could be a problem with the weather? If I get anything from it come harvest time, I will be happy, but if I lose it, it has been an interesting experiment.

Cheese FEM (as of 13th July):

20200713 212229
20200713 212152
20200713 212146
20200713 212143

Bag Seed (as of 8th July):
20200708 124011
20200708 124004

Thanks for reading, and any advice/information is greatly appreciated.

pablets

pablets

hey bro! you can flush the plants to clean all the extra nutrients that can burn the roots and block the plant, after put nutrients but half what it says on the chart. If it says 3ml put 1.5ml.. so on and so on. How did the plants do?

Top Bottom