First grow: using Scrog with automatic strains? Worth it? Possible at all?

• Thread starter Toscano
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toscano

Toscano

Guess the title says it all, but basically:

1. It will be my first grow (got the grow tent with everything already, will be using a 465W LED system from Lumatek);

2. Will be growing an automatic strain called Northern Lights (it's what I was offered): link here

3. Wanted to use the Scrog technique to optimize the light conditions, but since training takes a few weeks and this auto strain usually flowers during the first 6 weeks... is it really worth it?

Or is the Scrog technique more directed towards non-automatic strains?

Thanks.

Magellan14

Magellan14

If your plant is to tall and needs to be held up,or so wide and has many tops you need equal amount of light on them all. Or….. if you need it do it. If not no need. With autos you may or may not need to SCROG. With regular photoperiod plants you generally grow larger plants indoors and more often need to SCROG. larger plants take more support.

I hope this helps.

Toscano

Toscano

If your plant is to tall and needs to be held up,or so wide and has many tops you need equal amount of light on them all. Or….. if you need it do it. If not no need. With autos you may or may not need to SCROG. With regular photoperiod plants you generally grow larger plants indoors and more often need to SCROG. larger plants take more support.

I hope this helps.
Thanks.

The plant is this one here, Northern Light Automatic.

I'll post a picture from the place where I was given the seeds.

On the website they say this plant can reach between 80 - 120cm (2.5 - 3.5ft) when grown indoors.

Assuming it will reach the maximum height, will the Scrog technique make sense with this plant?
I ask because this is an automatic strain. So it will start flowering automatically at about week 4 or so, without my control.

They say on the website it's a "compact plant". Hence my question, maybe Scrog technique doesn't make sense here, I don't know.

Northern light automatic

Magellan14

Magellan14

If it reaches 2/3 of that height and produces like the picture having it locked into place might not be a bad idea. SCROG depending on how big your space is and how many total growing now? How many growing(now flowering) tips does the plant have. Does the plant feel like it is going to tip over? Do the stems feel like they can’t support the weight.

SCROGging is mainly for when you have a bunch of growing tips on a plant or plants and want to use the mesh SCROG screen to train all the tops so they can all get light. OR if you have tall plants that need support although if not that many growing tips they can be tied off if you don’t want to mess with a full mesh over the whole area of your tent or area. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Toscano

Toscano

If it reaches 2/3 of that height and produces like the picture having it locked into place might not be a bad idea. SCROG depending on how big your space is and how many total growing now? How many growing(now flowering) tips does the plant have. Does the plant feel like it is going to tip over? Do the stems feel like they can’t support the weight.
I haven't started growing yet.
So I'm not sure how the plant will grow.
But from what I'm reading around, maybe an LST training will be more less stressful to the plant.
I read everywhere that auto-flowers are very sensitive. They may break or stop growing if I don't use the Scrog system properly.

Maybe I'll try the Scrog thing with my second harvest, when I'm a bit more experienced.

Thanks for your help!

Magellan14

Magellan14

I haven't started growing yet.
So I'm not sure how the plant will grow.
But from what I'm reading around, maybe an LST training will be more less stressful to the plant.
I read everywhere that auto-flowers are very sensitive. They may break or stop growing if I don't use the Scrog system properly.

Maybe I'll try the Scrog thing with my second harvest, when I'm a bit more experienced.

Thanks for your help!
I added a bunch to my post you quotes that I hope gives you a good idea of your needs.

Top Bottom