First Grow- What Would You Change?

• Thread starter rmeddins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rmeddins

rmeddins

F
PXL 20210826 023251695
First post and first grow. Seed is White Widow Auto from ILGM. Soil is Fox Farm Ocean Forest. Is there anything you guys can tell just from looking at the pics that I should be concerned about? Or based on the limited info and pics would you pretty much say it's looking good & I should continue what I've been doing?

Any response is appreciated.

PXL 20210826 023317634

PXL 20210826 023413169
rmeddins

rmeddins

Also wanted to ask if anyone was willing to take a guess on how long until completion? I know with such limited info, it would be just a guess . Seed was advertised as 6 weeks from seed to harvest. I've learned most seed banks estimate is realistically how long it will be flowering, not "seed to harvest". It's been visibly flowering for 2 weeks. This past week the white hairs seem to be increasing exponentially each day. To anyone willing to guess, does 4 weeks til harvest look about right ?

FATAL

FATAL

Short on soluble calcium. Everyone growing weed on the internet is, especially under Led.
They add the bare minimum of lime to those bagged mixes,like 8 cups per yard. And probably no microbes to make it available.

All bagged soil grows look the same under Led. Good photosynthesis but the juices aren't flowing. The calcium doesn't match the npk at all for slow drinkers.

Led leaf temps are low, causing poor uptake of mass flow nutrients. Boron calcium phosphorus is the chain of command being most affected. Boron probably isn't short in any soil.. Phosphorus definitely isn't short in Cannabis branded stuff.

Ph is progressive, 8 cups gets them to 5.5-6, but you'll need another 30+ cups to get up to 7. At neutral, microbes and plants will make sugars and acids to break down the calcium compounds and create a healthy slightly acidic ph gradient in the soil.

Finishing time is completely dependent on nutrition. That thing has barley started blooming. The fastest strain I've grown was 10-11 weeks from seed. 6 weeks sounds unreasonable.

rmeddins

rmeddins

Short on soluble calcium. Everyone growing weed on the internet is, especially under Led.
They add the bare minimum of lime to those bagged mixes,like 8 cups per yard. And probably no microbes to make it available.

All bagged soil grows look the same under Led. Good photosynthesis but the juices aren't flowing. The calcium doesn't match the npk at all for slow drinkers.

Led leaf temps are low, causing poor uptake of mass flow nutrients. Boron calcium phosphorus is the chain of command being most affected. Boron probably isn't short in any soil.. Phosphorus definitely isn't short in Cannabis branded stuff.

Ph is progressive, 8 cups gets them to 5.5-6, but you'll need another 30+ cups to get up to 7. At neutral, microbes and plants will make sugars and acids to break down the calcium compounds and create a healthy slightly acidic ph gradient in the soil.

Finishing time is completely dependent on nutrition. That thing has barley started blooming. The fastest strain I've grown was 10-11 weeks from seed. 6 weeks sounds unreasonable.
Thanks for the reply. Ive noticed CalMag mentioned constantly on grow forums. Is that because of the problem you described? I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying I should add lime until I reach a neutral pH? Thanks again

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I would change the soil. I do not care for FF. Their new formula sux dog meat.

Other than that, a slight watering issue. Nothing else.
Basic Watering

Watering SOIL

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

Short on soluble calcium. Everyone growing weed on the internet is, especially under Led
Except everyone using hard water. 🤯

Lime is a mineral salt. Add water and it becomes Calcium and Carbonate ions in the soil solution. Microbes don't interact with it much at all.

Any response is appreciated.
I concur with @ComfortablyNumb.

My only suggestion? Use photos next time instead of autos 😇

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I would change the soil. I do not care for FF. Their new formula sux dog meat.

Other than that, a slight watering issue. Nothing else.
Basic Watering

Watering SOIL
I have been wondering about FFOF. Results aren't the same. You've just validated my suspicions. I was talking about it with the guy I usually see when I'm in Grow Generation.

@rmeddins Gypsum is a better choice if you're adding calcium to your soil. It's calcium sulfate, and both of those elements can be readily put to use by the plant. It also does not alter pH like lime does. It can hurt potassium uptake if ratios are too far out of balance so don't use too much. I believe it's 1lb of gypsum per 100 sq feet of garden space so think "tablespoons" mixed into your soil if you decide to use it.

rmeddins

rmeddins

I want to thank all you for responding. Let me make sure I understand all the advice.

In a nut shell:
-the FFOF soil I heard raved about so much "sux dog meat" currently lol.
- I should possibly add some gypsum to m soil- I need to adjust my watering habits

I presume gypsum would be added as a top dressing to avoid disturbing the roots? Either that, or your giving me advice for my next plant which I'll be starting quite soon.

rmeddins

rmeddins

Diagnose FIRST
You said I need to diagnose before adding anything (which makes perfect sense). To my untrained eye, she looks pretty healthy. In other words, I don't see a problem that needs diagnosing. That's why I'm here. You guys with expertise see no telling how many things I don't notice. The consensus amongst those who replied to my thread seems to be that my plant needs more calcium. Would you take that as enough evidence for a diagnosis, and add gypsum? Or would you do something else to ensure the plant needs Calcium. If so, what would that be?

rmeddins

rmeddins

Since nobody mentioned my LST, I'm guessing that means I'm doing an ok job of it for a first time grow. I have a couple branches to adjust in the morning, but overall am I at least on the right track with this aspect of growing?

I plan to start scouring the forum to find additional nutes I can use at this stage to maximize bud quality. I'm certain it's been covered a million times before. I only mention this here in case someone tells me it could be detrimental in my situation. Because I have years of familiarity growing hydro tomatoes with Flora Series, that's what I've been feeding this plant. I know it's generally considered a hydroponic nute, but the bottles say it's good for soil & coco as well. I've fed very little nutes overall because I heard FFOF soil was fairly "hot". That it had all the nutes I'd need for the first several weeks of an autoflower grow

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You do not have a calcium problem. That plant looks great.
start checking your trichomes.
If you want to boost trich production, give it some sticky icky.
We use this on our tomatoes also. The flavor is intense.

growsince79

growsince79

Also wanted to ask if anyone was willing to take a guess on how long until completion? I know with such limited info, it would be just a guess . Seed was advertised as 6 weeks from seed to harvest. I've learned most seed banks estimate is realistically how long it will be flowering, not "seed to harvest". It's been visibly flowering for 2 weeks. This past week the white hairs seem to be increasing exponentially each day. To anyone willing to guess, does 4 weeks til harvest look about right ?
LOL gooks like it has another 4-6 weeks to go.

rmeddins

rmeddins

You do not have a calcium problem. That plant looks great.
start checking your trichomes.
If you want to boost trich production, give it some sticky icky.
We use this on our tomatoes also. The flavor is intense.
Looks like the site describes using this at the time of planting. Is this something I can top dress my current plant with, or are you recommending it for future plants? I'm all for boosting trichs, anything to increase maximize bud quality.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Looks like the site describes using this at the time of planting. Is this something I can top dress my current plant with, or are you recommending it for future plants? I'm all for boosting trichs, anything to increase maximize bud quality.
You can top dress it in before planting while you are cooking the soil. If you are already planted, then 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water and feed it that way. We do not use it for VEG. We give the first dose at flip, and once a week from then. We used to mix it in but I think the VEG cycle is quicker without it. We have not been using it that long, But I do see improvements in trich quantity.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I want to thank all you for responding. Let me make sure I understand all the advice.

In a nut shell:
-the FFOF soil I heard raved about so much "sux dog meat" currently lol.
- I should possibly add some gypsum to m soil- I need to adjust my watering habits

I presume gypsum would be added as a top dressing to avoid disturbing the roots? Either that, or your giving me advice for my next plant which I'll be starting quite soon.

View attachment 1163099View attachment 1163101
I made the suggestion of gypsum over lime because it's a readily available source of calcium and has minimal effect on pH. I do not mean just add it to add it. I would only add it if you are using the same brand soil, are running the same strain, and had prior calcium issues. Then, I'd mix it directly into your soil prior to your next run at about a 1/2 tablespoon per gallon of soil. An over abundance of calcium can affect the uptake of other nutrients (potassium) so only use it if you actually need it.

Calcium problems are pretty easy to spot. If in doubt after a bit of research online, post a picture and someone here will help you sort it out. I'm not a fan of throwing everything including the kitchen sink into your soil in hopes that something will stick. You usually end up with toxic soup that way. Instead, watch your leaves. Some old growth does eventually die off and the plant sheds the leaf in the process of renewing itself. New growth will tell you a lot! When you see something, ask for confirmation or a second opinion and then move to fix that problem only. Wait before you try anything else.

With all that said, your plants look fine. I wouldn't make any extreme changes on anything.

rmeddins

rmeddins

You can top dress it in before planting while you are cooking the soil. If you are already planted, then 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water and feed it that way. We do not use it for VEG. We give the first dose at flip, and once a week from then. We used to mix it in but I think the VEG cycle is quicker without it. We have not been using it that long, But I do see improvements in trich quantity.

YES! Finally, someone else who gets it.
You guys have been incredibly helpful. Particularly, ComfortablyNumb & MIGrampaUSA. I'd been hesitant to post on any grow forums. I'm really glad I did & encourage others who are debating it to do so. I'm feeling more confident about what I'm doing. The over/underwatering info gave fantastic pointers. Getting experienced eyes on pics of your plant, as a beginner, is really valuable instead of reading generalized articles. Generalized articles with surprisingly contradictory info at that. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom