First grow

• Thread starter Supervillain624
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Supervillain624

Supervillain624

There's good ppl here that know a lot more than me. May not always like what they say lol but they mostly mean well. Post your questions & your grow diaries, if you don't get a response then feel free to ask on 1 of my threads to get more attention if you need it, I'm new here too but I've found a few cool ppl. Everyone is usually happy to help
That is awesome, thankyou . definitely a great atmosphere here .

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

topping vs fimming - my personal experience and opinion, though its my first grow, fimming itself can be a little hit & miss, while topping is a definite result. perhaps topping is more suitable to indoors, just in its predictability of end result.

even done a semi-manifolding - manifolding is kinda doing all the manipulation upfront in the grow, where the poor looking plant needs that time to recover early in the grow. while LST and SoG can be constant training throughout most of the grow, but doesn't really take that much time to recover.

Supervillain624

Supervillain624

topping vs fimming - my personal experience and opinion, though its my first grow, fimming itself can be a little hit & miss, while topping is a definite result. perhaps topping is more suitable to indoors, just in its predictability of end result.

even done a semi-manifolding - manifolding is kinda doing all the manipulation upfront in the grow, where the poor looking plant needs that time to recover early in the grow. while LST and SoG can be constant training throughout most of the grow, but doesn't really take that much time to recover.
Thankyou .Yeah i definitely should of topped. Thinking of either topping it under where i fimmed or doing lst. Ive never heard of SoG tho definitely gonna look into that too

Supervillain624

Supervillain624

Decided to top it last night right under where i fimmed a couple nights ago and im already seeing the results i wanted . super stoked and also changed nutrient solution to decrease the alkaline and nitrates and over night her roots tripled in growth . still a learning process in adjusting the nutes but i feel with the changes ive made shes going to be really happy and healthy 😄

20200229 182040
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

not sure if there is some sort of limit as to the number of times you top a plant - but that probably be dependent on numerous factors, including time of vegetative growth phase, etc. maybe you get smaller bud formation, more offshoots, and thus there is a trade-off between number of buds and yield, but i leave it to the experts here to maybe discuss. once those top offshoots grow taller, you can LST or top'em again, etc.

SoG - Sea of Green where you train the plant's tips and offshoots through a mess at a certain height, to cover the grow area's canopy with vegetative growth. SoG would be a training technique which adds to your vegetative growth phase time length, but then yields most out of a single plant. You'd be topping and LST to fill this screen/mesh.

so, for the same given grow area, you could have 16 small clones straight to flower, or have 4 medium size plants topped or a single plant SoG - as to which is most efficient in terms of time and yield, given the same genetics? also, it comes down to personal preference as to what plant, what growing medium/conditions, how many plants, how to train, etc.

BTW, looks good!!

Last edited:
Supervillain624

Supervillain624

not sure if there is some sort of limit as to the number of times you top a plant - but that probably be dependent on numerous factors, including time of vegetative growth phase, etc. maybe you get smaller bud formation, more offshoots, and thus there is a trade-off between number of buds and yield, but i leave it to the experts here to maybe discuss. once those top offshoots grow taller, you can LST or top'em again, etc.

SoG - Sea of Green where you train the plant's tips and offshoots through a mess at a certain height, to cover the grow area's canopy with vegetative growth. SoG would be a training technique which adds to your vegetative growth phase time length, but then yields most out of a single plant. You'd be topping and LST to fill this screen/mesh.

so, for the same given grow area, you could have 16 small clones straight to flower, or have 4 medium size plants topped or a single plant SoG - as to which is most efficient in terms of time and yield, given the same genetics? also, it comes down to personal preference as to what plant, what growing medium/conditions, how many plants, how to train, etc.

BTW, looks good!!
Thankyou . was thinking of trying to top it one more time but im undecided .

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

let those offshoots grow 3 nodes taller, then you could always top one, not top another....LST...you can decide a little later. depends on the shape you want.

i reckon your plant likes been topped - healthy bushy growth between that intersection at the nodes becomes offshoots. it looks like a nice plant to shape, even LST - make its main stem horizontal, and those offshoots will take off, too.

i just topped a topped offshoot, and left the other topped offshoot alone, if you know what i mean - just to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Supervillain624

Supervillain624

let those offshoots grow 3 nodes taller, then you could always top one, not top another....LST...you can decide a little later. depends on the shape you want.

i reckon your plant likes been topped - healthy bushy growth between that intersection at the nodes becomes offshoots. it looks like a nice plant to shape, even LST - make its main stem horizontal, and those offshoots will take off, too.

i just topped a topped offshoot, and left the other topped offshoot alone, if you know what i mean - just to see how it goes.
Thankyou for the tip..ill definitely let it grow out a few more nodes before topping again or Lst .im definitely excited to shape her.

Supervillain624

Supervillain624

Placed 2 more younglings in my old dwc res. Only using a 100w full spectrum bulb 24 hour light out side of the tent. Wish i had a bigger tent lol or one for veg and one for flower. Im gonna veg out my girl in the tent for a couple more weeks and switch to flower. Shes really bushy but low . shes only 7 inches tall but with 9 nodes. But im hoping she'll stretch out to atleast 12 before making the switch. Im using a 1200w led double switch but im still messing with the height . i read 3 feet is a safe distance above the plant so that what its at now.

20200307 221644
20200307 221616
Munch517

Munch517

BTW, looks good!!

I top my plants 4 times to get 16 tops, I do 4 plants in 4x4 area for a total of 64 tops. It makes for a very dense, even canopy. There's not limit to the number of times you can top, the key is filling your canopy to maximize yield (you'll need lots of airflow to do this safely). You want your plants to be absorbing all the light that's strong enough to be useful, if there's holes in your canopy where bright spots can be seen on the floor you could have filled things in better. Keep that strategy in mind whatever your training technique of choice is and you will enjoy better yields.

Top Bottom