First Harvest - Drying/Curing + Aging - The Difference?

• Thread starter Pandaman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pandaman

Hi all,

This, I'm sure is a total noob question but one that I need to ask. First, I just want to throw out Props to The Farm for being such an immense resource and to all the Farmers sharing such great info. My first grow is going to be great and I owe it all to ThcFarmer :)

That said, my noob question is about the quality of properly Dried/Cured/Aged bud compared to Black Market and Dispensaries.

I've never purchased/smoked anything that claimed to be dried/aged so I can't claim to know the difference. For someone like me, who will smoke his first home Grown Bud, will I be able to tell the difference between the two?

Are the dispensaries just full of the Quick Dried bud that makes you cough and tastes like shit?

Green Crack is in it's last two weeks of flower and I will be harvesting soon. I got a small tent specifically for drying and I plan to use all best techniques I've read here to dry/cure/age my bud.

I bought some Green Crack from a Dispensary just so that I may compare the two. I know it's early, my buds wont be ready to be smoked for another two months but i just wanted to see how the Store Bought Green Crack measures up to a quick-dried nug from my harvest.

After all the research and all the hard work I've done, it would just seem like Blasphemy to Quick Dry my bud. Just can't do it. Still makes me wonder though... Will this all make a difference in the end.

What do you guys think? Can only connoisseurs taste/feel the difference between the two?

N

nor cali farmer

start with the flush2 weeks min 3 is better. get rid of all the crap. thc joe

S

SkyHi

the slower the dry the better the end product, if u can dial in drying conditions it should take 10-14 days before it's ready to jar and cure for at least 2 weeks the longer the better. It doesn't take an expert to taste harsh dank. You waited this long for harvest don't blow it in the end.

P

Pandaman

Totally SkyHi, I really want to know what I've been missing :)

T

TopShelf

That sucks that your gonna miss out on the Cha Ching. Thats where alot of the magic happens. Im guessing you stuck to the feeding schedule that is on the Fox Farm site. Next time modify it a little by working your calendar backwards. The foundation being the 2 week flush at the end. IMHO you can cut weeks away from Open Sesame.

P

Pandaman

That sucks that your gonna miss out on the Cha Ching. Thats where alot of the magic happens. Im guessing you stuck to the feeding schedule that is on the Fox Farm site. Next time modify it a little by working your calendar backwards. The foundation being the 2 week flush at the end. IMHO you can cut weeks away from Open Sesame.

Oh wow... Ok. No Cha Ching for Green Crack then. Not a huge loss really. There are 5 or 6 colas that should yield a good amount. Lesson Learned though. Ya, I won't be buying more Open Sesame...

Green Crack is the fastest flowering plant in the room. The others will get Cha Ching.

So just water huh? Maybe some molasses too?

Thanks man

S

Sketch415

dont trip

just make sure to cure the bud for at least a month or two, longer if u want it to taste REALLY good

Mud Man

Mud Man

having your own tent to keep control is genius.. wish i had that as apposed to my boxes from hell... we do what we gadda..... As long as it isn't stagnant and there is air movement and correct conditions, just let it hang baby. I DO NOT LIKE DIRECT FAN BLOWING, speeeds to fast.... When them sticks start snapping .. start packing..!! not long and props on ya 1st run... good on ya! K+
:420:
I like to TRY and smoke all the shite bits, bottoms and fluff, try and make that last me and let the goodness long cure , 8 weeks minimum..?:icon_dizzy:
But when you are ahead TOKE TOKE TOKE:kiss

B

Bill Bloome

Greetings Pandaman, I use the tried and true method of drying my buds in a large brown paper bag.Depending on the size of harvest determines the number of bags.I only fill the bag about 1/2 to 3/4 full,so you can fold over the top.Place in a closet or garage that doesnt get too hot,or an attic that doesnt get above 80.After two weeks,I put my buds in Mason jars in a closet with NO light.Evey third day open the jars for a couple of hours for 2 weeks.The finished buds smoke smooth,tasty,and with a clean white ash.The trick is finding a large,plain brown bag.

P

Pandaman

just make sure to cure the bud for at least a month or two, longer if u want it to taste REALLY good

Totally! This is what I'm looking forward too. That, and finally being able to smoke my own home-grown bud :). Longer, the better!

having your own tent to keep control is genius.. wish i had that as apposed to my boxes from hell... we do what we gadda..... As long as it isn't stagnant and there is air movement and correct conditions, just let it hang baby. I DO NOT LIKE DIRECT FAN BLOWING, speeeds to fast.... When them sticks start snapping .. start packing..!! not long and props on ya 1st run... good on ya! K+
:420:
I like to TRY and smoke all the shite bits, bottoms and fluff, try and make that last me and let the goodness long cure , 8 weeks minimum..?:icon_dizzy:
But when you are ahead TOKE TOKE TOKE:kiss

Thanks man :). I had first tried the timer with 8 cycles but that, unfortunately, super dried my Green Crack. Dried to a crisp in 12 days :(. So now I'm at 2 times a day. The timer turns on the booster fan twice a day sucking out the air. I do not use a fan inside the tent. So far, so good.

When I took Green Crack out of the tent and into the jars, they didn't sweat at all. In fact, they never did. So that tells me that I still need to dial in my dry/cure. I also need to reconstitute the Green Crack and get them a little moist again.

Greetings Pandaman, I use the tried and true method of drying my buds in a large brown paper bag.Depending on the size of harvest determines the number of bags.I only fill the bag about 1/2 to 3/4 full,so you can fold over the top.Place in a closet or garage that doesnt get too hot,or an attic that doesnt get above 80.After two weeks,I put my buds in Mason jars in a closet with NO light.Evey third day open the jars for a couple of hours for 2 weeks.The finished buds smoke smooth,tasty,and with a clean white ash.The trick is finding a large,plain brown bag.

You know, I have saved a bunch of large super-market brown paper bags just for this occasion but so far, I haven't needed them. But it would be nice to throw one plant harvest in a bag and see how it goes.

Clean white ash?... I hope so!

Thanks all!

Peace

Latest posts

Top Bottom