First Harvest. No sweet smell?

• Thread starter OGKE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OGKE

OGKE

Aloha.
Harvested my first crop. Hung to dry. Curing in jars now, but theres no really dank smell? Will it return with cure? If so how long? they've been in jars and regularly burped/vented 2x a day for over a week, but when i stick my nose in the jars..its still kind of..not grassy , but more leafy if that makes sense. I sampled some and it gets me high, and its super sticky and if I pinch it its got that nice aroma..but just picking it up and smelling it its barely there. Can this happen if I over-dried it? If so, what is the best way to re-hydrate if at all? Also, and I know this is a controversial subject, but it was an outside grow and I did a lemon juice/baking soda wash on one of 2 plants and a lemon juice/baking soda and H2O2 wash with the other (and was amazed at all the shit that came off)...could this have somehow fucked up the terpenes ? At any rate opinions and scoldings are welcome! Mahalo

Slap

Slap

I was told by an old school grower, he never washes his buds, he believes it washes away some of the terpenes . But if it' s sticky and gets you high. Then job well done, in my opinion.

Peace Out!

Anthem

Anthem

Aloha.
Harvested my first crop. Hung to dry. Curing in jars now, but theres no really dank smell? Will it return with cure? If so how long? they've been in jars and regularly burped/vented 2x a day for over a week, but when i stick my nose in the jars..its still kind of..not grassy , but more leafy if that makes sense. I sampled some and it gets me high, and its super sticky and if I pinch it its got that nice aroma..but just picking it up and smelling it its barely there. Can this happen if I over-dried it? If so, what is the best way to re-hydrate if at all? Also, and I know this is a controversial subject, but it was an outside grow and I did a lemon juice/baking soda wash on one of 2 plants and a lemon juice/baking soda and H2O2 wash with the other (and was amazed at all the shit that came off)...could this have somehow fucked up the terpenes ? At any rate opinions and scoldings are welcome! Mahalo
If the plant gets hot for a couple of weeks it can cook the terps right out of the flowers. I had it happen on an a greenhouse grow. I want to say I was seeing numbers like 90 inside the greenhouse for a couple weeks and it just cooked the terps.

OGKE

OGKE

If the plant gets hot for a couple of weeks it can cook the terps right out of the flowers. I had it happen on an a greenhouse grow. I want to say I was seeing numbers like 90 inside the greenhouse for a couple weeks and it just cooked the terps.

Thats good to know, but I dont think heat was an issue-- Im in Hawaii. Temps were ranging between mid 70s and low 80s at the most. Thank you!

OGKE

OGKE

Mahalo plenty!

There were mentions of SOME terpenes getting washed away during the wash...but many advocates were also saying basically that the smell would return during/after the cure...so I dont know...maybe in a few more weeks? At any rate, I am thinking of washing some and not washing some next harvest to see if there is a difference. Thanx again for your reply.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
curing weed right is like letting wine age, everything has to be right and have patience.
curing is a form of art, it’s takes time/experience to get it right..

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

curing weed right is like letting wine age, everything has to be right and have patience.

Not really. It takes growing quality herb.

Washing buds ruins them. Even hitting a vape through a water rig turns the flavor into basic hash. Funny how many people talk about chasing flavor yet they make water hash use water pipes and wash their buds.. Buds don't get dusty. Otherwise foliar feeding wouldn't work. They eat the dust. All that stuff that came off your bud is sugars acids glycosides indoles phenols thiols amines etc etc.

OGKE

OGKE

Washing buds ruins them. Even hitting a vape through a water rig turns the flavor into basic hash. Funny how many people talk about chasing flavor yet they make water hash use water pipes and wash their buds.. Buds don't get dusty. Otherwise foliar feeding wouldn't work. They eat the dust. All that stuff that came off your bud is sugars acids glycosides indoles phenols thiols amines etc etc.

Like a lot on here, for every person that swears by washing, theres someone who discounts it. i understand what you are saying, but I had some issues with bugs and actually had to harvest maybe a few days to a week early since they popped back up right at the end and even though I use organic methods exclusively, I didn't want to apply anything so close to harvest, so i used the wash to get as many of the critters off as possible. I took a microscope look at the water afterwards and saw a bunch of larvae, so at least in that regard it what somewhat effective and for that I am grateful. Like I mentioned earlier, it smokes well and gets the job done, so not a complete fail. As I learn to grow I hope to avoid the bug issues and wash in the future. Any thoughts on re-hydrating and/or whether its possibly because I over-dried it? Thank you for your feedback!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Like a lot on here, for every person that swears by washing, theres someone who discounts it. i understand what you are saying, but I had some issues with bugs and actually had to harvest maybe a few days to a week early since they popped back up right at the end and even though I use organic methods exclusively, I didn't want to apply anything so close to harvest, so i used the wash to get as many of the critters off as possible. I took a microscope look at the water afterwards and saw a bunch of larvae, so at least in that regard it what somewhat effective and for that I am grateful. Like I mentioned earlier, it smokes well and gets the job done, so not a complete fail. As I learn to grow I hope to avoid the bug issues and wash in the future. Any thoughts on re-hydrating and/or whether its possibly because I over-dried it? Thank you for your feedback!
oh the trichomes catch everything!!! don’t kid yourself..
buds are dirty!

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Aloha.
Harvested my first crop. Hung to dry. Curing in jars now, but theres no really dank smell? Will it return with cure? If so how long? they've been in jars and regularly burped/vented 2x a day for over a week, but when i stick my nose in the jars..its still kind of..not grassy , but more leafy if that makes sense.

See if the buds still feel wet. By your description you think you may have dried them too much. If you find they are too dry add humidity packs. (62 percent is common) and wait a couple weeks. Also if they are dry slow down on the burping.

In a couple more weeks you should have what you are looking for. One week isn't long enough.

OGKE

OGKE

See if the buds still feel wet. By your description you think you may have dried them too much. If you find they are too dry add humidity packs. (62 percent is common) and wait a couple weeks. Also if they are dry slow down on the burping.

In a couple more weeks you should have what you are looking for. One week isn't long enough.

ordered humidity packs a few days ago... will slow down on burping because they seem pretty dry. I will be more patient with the process! Thanks for your input!

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Sorry but I primarily use a water bong and have zero issues with tasting my buds. I’m not a fan of washing weed that’s for sure. Seems like a recipe for mold and crappy product but to each their own

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Did you harvest too soon? Premature bud never seems to lose that lawn clipping smell lol

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I had to rinse my buds this run due to mites. I saw a definite decrease in flavor and smell but they still retained about 75% of their original characteristics, I think. Different terpenes react differently to water with some being slightly miscible with water, while others withstand it totally. I have found that it takes about a month in the sealed jar to cure fully. Buring is OK for the first couple of days to make sure the moisture levels are OK, but after that I think they benefit a lot from being sealed, which wil slow down the oxidation of stuff but still alowe anerobic decomposition to take place... this is when the grass/hay smell disappears and your bud's flavors come frward.
I think that if you must rinse/wash your buds, it is best to do it while they are still growing. This would allow some of the terpenes to be replaced and shouldn't affect the quality. The THC and stuff doesn't get washed away, just mostly the taste and aroma profiles. FWIW, I compared the buds that were rinsed with some of the ones that I left dry on the plant and there is a notable difference in the flavor of the two. The effects are about the same but the taste is better in the ones that fried on the plant, although they were bright yellow/gold in color... all of the chlorophyll was broken down

OGKE

OGKE

Did you harvest too soon? Premature bud never seems to lose that lawn clipping smell lol

I was on the last week..checking tricomes and hairs daily. Noticed some off-looking buds. Snipped em and took a look. Saw some what I think were aphid larvae and didn't want to treat with anything sooo close to harvest, so I cut em a few days early. So, yes, I harvested early, but not terribly so. Tricomes were about 40+ % milky and 10% amber and hairs were over 50% red.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Aloha.
It takes some time (usually over a month of curing for me) before the chlorophyll and other undesirable chemicals are broken down by aerobic bacteria enough for the smell of the terpenes to really come through.

OGKE

OGKE

I had to rinse my buds this run due to mites. I saw a definite decrease in flavor and smell but they still retained about 75% of their original characteristics, I think. Different terpenes react differently to water with some being slightly miscible with water, while others withstand it totally. I have found that it takes about a month in the sealed jar to cure fully. Buring is OK for the first couple of days to make sure the moisture levels are OK, but after that I think they benefit a lot from being sealed, which wil slow down the oxidation of stuff but still alowe anerobic decomposition to take place... this is when the grass/hay smell disappears and your bud's flavors come frward.
I think that if you must rinse/wash your buds, it is best to do it while they are still growing. This would allow some of the terpenes to be replaced and shouldn't affect the quality. The THC and stuff doesn't get washed away, just mostly the taste and aroma profiles. FWIW, I compared the buds that were rinsed with some of the ones that I left dry on the plant and there is a notable difference in the flavor of the two. The effects are about the same but the taste is better in the ones that fried on the plant, although they were bright yellow/gold in color... all of the chlorophyll was broken down

Super informative! Mahalo !

Moshmen

Moshmen

And what works for me , may not work for you patience and don’t be afraid to mess up I agree a definite art and way more than just opening some jars , u will get it. I never washed any bud before so no experience there
Hey catchin ya buzz is the most important part ! Taste and smells will come

Latest posts

Top Bottom