First hydro grow, plants doesnt look happy, help please

• Thread starter Andigundi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Andigundi

Hi, im growing in rdwc system for the first time. The plants does not grow as fast as i expected in hydro. They never look happy, always hanging leaves. The ph is always between 5,5 and 6,3. Most of the time its 5,7-6,1.
i use complete hesi hydro nutrient set.
im using ro filter and have a water chiller wich keep water about 19,5 celcius.
ec is also fine.
my ph raises quite fast. Last night before i went to bed i adjusted it to 5,5 and when i woke up its 6,2.
does anyone have an idea whats the problem for them?

First hydro grow plants doesnt look happy help please

A

Andigundi

Room temperature is about 26celcius and humidity about 50-60. I know that isnt perfect. But shouldnt be that bad. They rooted from cuttings about a month ago and has been in this system since.

Anthem

Anthem

PH rising and un happy plants. Classic sign of over feeding. Lower your nutrient PPM in half and see what happens. If PH is stable and water level is dropping. You have reached about the perfect state for the plant at that time.
Happy Grows

A

Andigundi

PH rising and un happy plants. Classic sign of over feeding. Lower your nutrient PPM in half and see what happens. If PH is stable and water level is dropping. You have reached about the perfect state for the plant at that time.
Happy Grows
I did read about that, but must say i doubt it. Will try take out 30 liters solution and add 30 ro water. But there is no burned leaf tips, wouldnt that be a sign as well? I also started very low on nutrients. Atm i dont trust my ec meter, think it need to be calibrated but om out of cal liquid. Will fix that tomorrow. Thank you for your input, you dont have any other ideas since i really doubt this. But will check for it

Anthem

Anthem

I did read about that, but must say i doubt it. Will try take out 30 liters solution and add 30 ro water. But there is no burned leaf tips, wouldnt that be a sign as well? I also started very low on nutrients. Atm i dont trust my ec meter, think it need to be calibrated but om out of cal liquid. Will fix that tomorrow. Thank you for your input, you dont have any other ideas since i really doubt this. But will check for it
Can you post a link to the nutrient line and specifically what products you are using? There might be some other issues but please be mindful those pictures are not really that clear and up close

A

Andigundi

Can you post a link to the nutrient line and specifically what products you are using? There might be some other issues but please be mindful those pictures are not really that clear and up close
I use hesi hydro serie (all products you see on the schedule card) started on about 25% and am now on about 75... still in veg
EN Hydro 2015
20220214 212905
20220214 212857
20220214 212814
20220214 212801

A

Andigundi

Rdwc system:

Lights:

Anthem

Anthem

If this was my grow I would do a couple things
#1. I would have the lights off or lower the intensity by about 50percent
#2. I would lower the EC by about 50 percent
33. I would add some cal mag to the mix. 5 mils per gallon and wait a good 5 to 7 days to see the outcome apart from that. You need to get your EC meter fixed and for now stay at around 1.0 on the EC

Anthem

Anthem

33. I would add some cal mag to the mix. 5 mils per gallon and wait a good 5 to 7 days to see the outcome apart from that. You need to get your EC meter fixed and for now stay at around 1.0 on the EC
The first should say raise the lights at least 12" OR Cut the intensity

A

Andigundi

Will try these things. I do use cal mag, i forgot to mention... my lights were on 30% first week, then 50 and 75.. turned it to 100% few days ago. Will try turn it back to 50% now and lower ec.
Thanks alot 👍👍👍

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Air pump should be above the water level of your system, if pump dies or power goes out it could siphon out all the water

Anthem

Anthem

Will try these things. I do use cal mag, i forgot to mention... my lights were on 30% first week, then 50 and 75.. turned it to 100% few days ago. Will try turn it back to 50% now and lower ec.
Thanks alot 👍👍👍
What you are seeing is a common problem in hydro systems if you push the plant too hard early on. I am not going to set here and tell you I have been growing for 40 years but I do have a basic understanding and I do grow in hydro. Pushing the plant hard too early will result in what you are seeing. I am not completely sure of the reason but I believe it has to do with the root system not being able to provide the nutrient uptake fast enough for the overall growth the plant can product. The first thing I usually see when this is happening is your leaf structure. Just take it back a few notches for a few days and slowly start ramping it back up. What has happened is the plant is using up alot of the available nutrients it has already absorbed and needs time to replenish them is the nearest I can tell.

A

Andigundi

What you are seeing is a common problem in hydro systems if you push the plant too hard early on. I am not going to set here and tell you I have been growing for 40 years but I do have a basic understanding and I do grow in hydro. Pushing the plant hard too early will result in what you are seeing. I am not completely sure of the reason but I believe it has to do with the root system not being able to provide the nutrient uptake fast enough for the overall growth the plant can product. The first thing I usually see when this is happening is your leaf structure. Just take it back a few notches for a few days and slowly start ramping it back up. What has happened is the plant is using up alot of the available nutrients it has already absorbed and needs time to replenish them is the nearest I can tell.
Im considering starting over with a new strain. Been growing mimosa x orange punch from barneys farm for about 8 months now...
This strain has a great unique taste, but would like a more "traditional" taste.
I noticed my roots has become brownish.. they should be white, right?
Do you know if these roots might be the problem?
20220215 083908

If that looks like a big problem i guess i will stop them and start over on a new strain. If they can finish bloom, im gonna do last set of this strain. What do you think?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Im considering starting over with a new strain. Been growing mimosa x orange punch from barneys farm for about 8 months now...
This strain has a great unique taste, but would like a more "traditional" taste.
I noticed my roots has become brownish.. they should be white, right?
Do you know if these roots might be the problem?
20220215 083908

If that looks like a big problem i guess i will stop them and start over on a new strain. If they can finish bloom, im gonna do last set of this strain. What do you think?
Repost your roots for us.

Are you sterile or live? After you fix your ppms and environmental conditions I'd add hydroguard to the mix. It helps promote new root growth and allows you to run warmer water Temps. It will make any issues you have worse though unless you correct it. Be good to start studying. I run 73f water Temps with no chiller. Never had to worry about slowed growth. I get some dudding here and there but that's another story. Every grow I get buds bigger than my forearm lol. I only mention it due to your new and learning.

Don't give up on these. Your not killing them, I doubt it's root related due to no damage on leafs. I'd say up room temps, up root Temps back off lights.. Fix ppms.. And then pick sterile or live, 68f killing all microbes or 72f adding microbes.

A

Andigundi

Repost your roots for us.

Are you sterile or live? After you fix your ppms and environmental conditions I'd add hydroguard to the mix. It helps promote new root growth and allows you to run warmer water Temps. It will make any issues you have worse though unless you correct it. Be good to start studying. I run 73f water Temps with no chiller. Never had to worry about slowed growth. I get some dudding here and there but that's another story. Every grow I get buds bigger than my forearm lol. I only mention it due to your new and learning.

Don't give up on these. Your not killing them, I doubt it's root related due to no damage on leafs. I'd say up room temps, up root Temps back off lights.. Fix ppms.. And then pick sterile or live, 68f killing all microbes or 72f adding microbes.
Thanks for input, i adjusted ppm and they already show good response. Im at 1,2 ec atm. Will adjust on the chiller abit then.
Im not sure what you mean with sterile or live?
20220215 221746
20220215 223014

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

yes, rapid improvement, on the right path.

you're talking about beneficial microbes vs sterile hydroponics, and i shall let others here properly inform you. there are posts here regarding this topic...

Top Bottom