First Indoor Grow Mainline - Deficiency or Toxicity?

• Thread starter Tropo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tropo

Tropo

Hi All

First time grower here. Trying my first indoor grow (first one overall really) and started having some brown spotting and lower fan leaves drying up and dying. I'm using dry organic nutrients (Dr. Earths), but may have scuffed the schedule since I was afraid to do too much in combination with Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil. I also did just add in a humidifier last night to try and keep the humidity between 55% and 60% until I flip. Just want to wait for the plant to look healthier with less leaf problems before flipping.

Attached are pictures of my temp/humidity, overall plant and then an overhead shot where you can see in the middle and outside the fan leaves with the problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Looking to learn as much as I can with this first grow.

Thanks

First indoor grow mainline   deficiency or toxicity
First indoor grow mainline   deficiency or toxicity 2
First indoor grow mainline   deficiency or toxicity 3
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I've had this while adjusting to the switch to LEDs. It seems to be an Mg deficiency. The plant draws magnesium from the lower leaves and they become more sensitive to light. Note that the parts of the lower leave shaded by upper leaves are not burned or are less burned.

So I would say more Mg.

Tropo

Tropo

I've had this while adjusting to the switch to LEDs. It seems to be an Mg deficiency. The plant draws magnesium from the lower leaves and they become more sensitive to light. Note that the parts of the lower leave shaded by upper leaves are not burned or are less burned.

So I would say more Mg.
Thank you! I did stop using my cal mag in my watering because Dr Earth's had fish bone in it for calcium. But that didn't account for the Mg in it too. I'll start including that with my water and hope it helps clear it up. Do you think I should wait for this to clear up before flipping to flower?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

It's usually a good idea to make sure they're healthy. Those leaves, of course, will not heal themselves. They'll always be burnt.

There seems to be an extra demand for magnesium under LEDs. You pretty much have to make sure they have plenty, until at least halfway through flower. My present grow is the first under LEDs where I didn't fry the fuck out of them.

Tropo

Tropo

It's usually a good idea to make sure they're healthy. Those leaves, of course, will not heal themselves. They'll always be burnt.

There seems to be an extra demand for magnesium under LEDs. You pretty much have to make sure they have plenty, until at least halfway through flower. My present grow is the first under LEDs where I didn't fry the fuck out of them.
Thanks for the advice! Super helpful.

Mothman

Mothman

Thanks for the advice! Super helpful.
Nice looking plant structure! How old was this plant at the time of photo? Also, for scale, how big is your soft pot? Finally, did you get the problem under control?

Tropo

Tropo

Nice looking plant structure! How old was this plant at the time of photo? Also, for scale, how big is your soft pot? Finally, did you get the problem under control?
Thanks! The plant was around 55 days at the time of those photos. The soft pot is a 5 gallon. She's been a slower grower, I believe partly do to lower temps in my basement which I've gotten better control of. I flipped her to flower 3 days ago. She's really recovered in the past week and a half or so. I started dosing cal mag in each water cycle, started using olympus up (ph up) to raise the ph of the soil (I did this twice and am planning on doing a half dose every 3rd watering) and lastly raised the light to let the leaves cool off from the burning from the problems. Sounds like a lot but i did a lot of 1/4 and 1/2 doses when trying to fix the problems. Some of the bottom fan leaves are still hurting, but all of the newer growth above seems to be doing great. I'm going to wait until day 21 into flower before pruning anymore. Let me know what you think. Left pic is today Day 91, right pick is the day I flipped her Day 88.

Mothman

Mothman

Thanks! The plant was around 55 days at the time of those photos. The soft pot is a 5 gallon. She's been a slower grower, I believe partly do to lower temps in my basement which I've gotten better control of. I flipped her to flower 3 days ago. She's really recovered in the past week and a half or so. I started dosing cal mag in each water cycle, started using olympus up (ph up) to raise the ph of the soil (I did this twice and am planning on doing a half dose every 3rd watering) and lastly raised the light to let the leaves cool off from the burning from the problems. Sounds like a lot but i did a lot of 1/4 and 1/2 doses when trying to fix the problems. Some of the bottom fan leaves are still hurting, but all of the newer growth above seems to be doing great. I'm going to wait until day 21 into flower before pruning anymore. Let me know what you think. Left pic is today Day 91, right pick is the day I flipped her Day 88.

View attachment 1196472View attachment 1196473
It really looks great to me! I just started mainlining my Shiskaberry—made the first top cut yesterday, so I’m particularly interested in yours.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

If you have coco in your medium, it eats mag so you need to supplement.

Tropo

Tropo

If you have coco in your medium, it eats mag so you need to supplement.
This makes sense. I think the addition of cal mag in to my waterings helped a lot, on top of getting soil PH higher (it was showing a ph of 4 right after I watered even though water going in was 6.6). Will definitely be paying closer attention to my cal mag dosing in the future.

Tropo

Tropo

It really looks great to me! I just started mainlining my Shiskaberry—made the first top cut yesterday, so I’m particularly interested in yours.
Awesome. Mainlining is fun. Sculpting a perfectly symmetric plant is extremely satisfying. Hoping the bigger buds with 8 main colas comes true. A little risky doing such HST on my first plant, but it's expediting my learning quite a bit. I'll keep you updated and would love to see how your mainline journey goes, as well.

growsince79

growsince79

Looks healthy now. You have more patience than me. I would be harvesting about now.

Tropo

Tropo

Just a quick update on the mainline, she is doing really well! I've selectively defoliated her a little bit here and there to get rid of some larf and long stemmed fan leaves that are blocking bud sights. How do you guys think she looks? I'm scared I'm defoliating too much. It's day 14 of flower and I'm going to do the deep defoliation at day 21 of flower. I'm hoping she stretches a few more inches to increase nodes for the bud to grow.

Let me know if anyone spots anything off, if any of those lower branches look like I could remove them or if it looks like I may have defoliated too much!

IMG 3979
IMG 3981
SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Just a quick update on the mainline, she is doing really well! I've selectively defoliated her a little bit here and there to get rid of some larf and long stemmed fan leaves that are blocking bud sights. How do you guys think she looks? I'm scared I'm defoliating too much. It's day 14 of flower and I'm going to do the deep defoliation at day 21 of flower. I'm hoping she stretches a few more inches to increase nodes for the bud to grow.

Let me know if anyone spots anything off, if any of those lower branches look like I could remove them or if it looks like I may have defoliated too much!
Mainlining is as much a science as it is an art. Your looking great so far and I think your defoliation looks fine man let it stretch more and see where your at, I try not to do too much defoliation after 2-3 weeks into flower.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Coco absorbs magnesium. In many cases, I have seen a grower switch from HPS to LED and the intensity of light is higher. This leads to light burn that is often mistaken for cal-mag shortage. If you have coco, you have to supplement magnesium somehow.

Tropo

Tropo

Hey All - so when I watered today I noticed that there was a layer of very small light grey bugs on the surface of the soil that must've been disturbed when I watered. Is this something to be concerned about? Should I work towards getting rid of them or are they okay to have in the soil? They disappeared back in to the soil very shortly after I watered.
Image 67568641

Top Bottom