First indoor grow, plants are dying?

• Thread starter gardennoob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mancorn

mancorn

Have you been using the Brita the entire time? It may be reducing the kh of your water, which will then make the ph jump all over the place (as there's no buffering). Do a soil runoff ph test to check. (Aqua Man is correct that the ph in soil is not as critical, but you have pretty small pots at this point, so worth checking.)

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I haven’t tested PPM but am running my water through Brita filter which will soften hard water and remove minerals
I disagree that you don't need to pH soil for best results; there are certain conditions where this is correct but not in your circumstance in my opinion, also I suspect you need to check your tap water, good luck hope you straighten this out!

G

gardennoob

Have you been using the Brita the entire time? It may be reducing the kh of your water, which will then make the ph jump all over the place (as there's no buffering). Do a soil runoff ph test to check. (Aqua Man is correct that the ph in soil is not as critical, but you have pretty small pots at this point, so worth checking.)

I have used the brita for the majority because when I run my tap water through it the ph level comes out to 6.7

I will try using my tap water and just adjusting the ph level with ph down instead

mancorn

mancorn

I have used the brita for the majority because when I run my tap water through it the ph level comes out to 6.7

I will try using my tap water and just adjusting the ph level with ph down instead
Yeah I think you'd be better off adjusting your tap. I'm not familiar with what the Brita actual does (or what you have), but do a search on kh (as opposed to ph). Most of the info is for fish guys, but explains why it's important to keep your kh high so that your water is buffered and keeps your ph from wild fluctuations.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah I think you'd be better off adjusting your tap. I'm not familiar with what the Brita actual does (or what you have), but do a search on kh (as opposed to ph). Most of the info is for fish guys, but explains why it's important to keep your kh high so that your water is buffered and keeps your ph from wild fluctuations.
Brtia will be basically a charcoal filter and will remove some chlorine, chloramine and vocs. Because it has a mediocre dwell time it's not overly effective but helps. It will not affect KH (carbonate hardness) of water so the KH will be the same as the tap water minus some of what I mentioned.

WankirA

WankirA

level comes out to 6.7
My tapwater does the same but i use the smallest amount of lemon juice (literally a pippet drop or two into a 2 litre bottle of water). Been cautious about it because of conflicting advice but my girls sucking up the feed and still stretching.
Lot cheaper than ph down (which also meant a trip outta town) lemon juice was handy and I've not had any issues from it.

Btw think its been mentioned but i try not to get water on leaves at all or leave foliar sprays till the plants are away from lights and drying leaves before they are back under lights as little drops of moisture can act like magnifying glasses and burn the shit outta those leaves..
Just saying.
Good luck with that new growth.
Cheers
W

Top Bottom