First Indoor Harvest Report (Good quality/low yield —w. some questions)

• Thread starter greenthumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenthumb

greenthumb

So I harvested my four girls in mid-July. Here is my first grow journal entry from May for reference:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...ous-indoor-grow-with-pix-and-questions.63482/

I know the word out there is that Sativas mature mature slowly: 10-12 weeks, but almost all my girls seemed ready by 7-9 weeks, (a Sour Diesel, a Trainwreck, a Blue Dream and a J-1). So they came out one after another, except for my J-1 which was my strongest plant, and I did two harvests, one in 8 weeks, and the lower part I let it go for another two weeks.

PICT0324 Mmbranch BDbranch2 BDharvest BDbud Scissors Mmhand2 Mmhand3
No bugs or anything like that, and good quality medicine, tastes good too, but my yield was disappointingly low —I got a total of 70 grams from my four plants!!! (2.5 oz.!!!)
My most high yielding plant (J-1)gave me 34 grams total! The others: Sour Diesel and Trainwreck only 15 gr.(0.5 oz) each, and Blue Dream only 21 gr.(0.7 oz)!

My guess is that my temps were too high (average 80F), and humidity probably low because of the two fans. I didn't have a humidity meter, so I'm going to acquire one for my second grow which will begin mid-September, and now I have a nice cool humidifier which might make things better for them during the veg.cycle.
Any ideas as to how to increase my yield will be greatly appreciated.

BD
The Terps

The Terps

If growing for yields it will be more obtainable to use synthetic nutrients being more readily available to the plant next 80 degrees is not to hot especially if you run co2 I think of 83 degrees as the max temp for optimum environment but keep the humidity below 55% during flower also keeping the light at the right height over your canopy will help so growing 1 variety at a time per light will make it easier. However I'm not saying you won't be able to increase your yield with organic gardening techniques or growing a variety of strains under 1 light. Just a couple of simple tips but simple normally works good luck

greenthumb

greenthumb

Thanks Terps, I have to say on somedays the temps were 86F, and don't know how to lower them. Don't use CO2.
I think next time, I'll try to grow one or two varieties, and measure the humidity, I think it was too dry up there with the fans...
But I don't want to use synthetic nutrients since I'll be smoking them, and don't think it's healthy. I make teas of the organic nutes so they dissolve better.
:)

trippinballz

trippinballz

I've grown a lot of plants and can't remember anything ever being TRULY finished at 7 weeks. Yes, they could be taken and smoked then, but were they really ready? Many strains won't put their weight on until the last few weeks.

But the real kicker in your space is the SPACE X LIGHT ratio.

CFLS and t-5's aren't gonna bang out the weight like an HID is gonna do. If you want more weight/are thinking you will yield what you see others here yielding, you simply need to step up/into a larger light.

Personally I think you did OK with the amount of light offered to the plants.

greenthumb

greenthumb

I've grown a lot of plants and can't remember anything ever being TRULY finished at 7 weeks. Yes, they could be taken and smoked then, but were they really ready? Many strains won't put their weight on until the last few weeks.

But the real kicker in your space is the SPACE X LIGHT ratio.

CFLS and t-5's aren't gonna bang out the weight like an HID is gonna do. If you want more weight/are thinking you will yield what you see others here yielding, you simply need to step up/into a larger light.

Personally I think you did OK with the amount of light offered to the plants.

Thanks for you responses, trippin'
As far as the early harvest, they were not all harvested at 7 weeks, only the sour diesel because it was starting to really yellow and looked like it wasn't doing as well as it had before, so it had to go early before it looked worse.... But the rest were harvested at 8-9 weeks, because they were not drinking as much as before, or buds getting any bigger, and the trichomes looked done. I was afraid if I left them any longer, they'd lose their potency.

Yes, I know that CFL's don't give you dense buds, but HID lights are out of the question for me because of the space and ventilation constraints in an urban situation. And yes, I do consider my grow a success, because the quality was excellent for most of the plants and had no problem with any bugs. And I don't mind looser buds, they are easier to break up, just wish there were more of them!

I still think that my low yield might have had something to do with the basically *acidic soil* I had gotten, and no matter how much I tried to balance the PH with PHup, it was still slightly on the acidic side. Also, I had no idea what the humidity situation was, all I had was a thermometer (that can be corrected). Also, I started feeding them late into the vege period, because I had not figured out the right nutrients yet, I am hoping it will be better next time, with a **shorter vege period** (I vegged them for 8 weeks! this time!!), and hopefully a longer flowering period as you suggested.

I also had a feeling that my LST method was hard on the girls, after awhile. After I tied the most dominant branches down with strings so the inner part of the plant was getting more light, I noticed that the smaller inner branches were much weaker than the main more vigorous ones, and now I'm thinking maybe I should tie them much looser next time or not much at all, and let the bigger branches have the best light.
What do you think?

(Are T-12's stronger than T-5's, that what I have plus about 7 or 8 CFLs in a very small space 3'X6' tabletop.)

(Thanks again for your feedback) :)

The Terps

The Terps

Growing organically is great! I work at a hydro shop and talk to reps and company owners on a regular basis. There is nothing to be afraid of using synthetic based nutrients most companies use pharmaceutical grade salts and provide high quality clean product mills, heavy 16 and my favorite nutrifield all use a blend of synthetic and organic inputs to give you the best of both worlds. I'm not trying to convince you to switch from growing organically I just want to relieve some of the scare from using synthetic nutes. Also bottled organically are readily available for the plant so brewing it while isn't a bad idea isn't necessary. Look into brew compost tea from worm casting kelp and molasses!

Further more I would like to also support green thumbs recommendation for a hid light! Using a vented hood and a 6" duct booster or a 4" inline to vent the heat out of the room although venting a light is less efficient than running it hot( heat=light, glass filters UVs)would be a world of difference! Light intensity directly effects the size and density of your plants flower sights and a hid light will provide a broader spectrum increasing quality as well.

The Terps

The Terps

As far as soil goes I use roots original it's great blend of high quality soil and lots of perlite for drainage and a great air to water ratio for the root zone. But keep an eye out for a new 90 day super soil by the DNA genetics and Mills they sent our shop a couple of bags and it's awesome! If your local hydro shop hasn't heard about it ask them to look into it I think using that soil and brewing compost tea for it would be the cats whiskers!

greenthumb

greenthumb

As far as soil goes I use roots original it's great blend of high quality soil and lots of perlite for drainage and a great air to water ratio for the root zone. But keep an eye out for a new 90 day super soil by the DNA genetics and Mills they sent our shop a couple of bags and it's awesome! If your local hydro shop hasn't heard about it ask them to look into it I think using that soil and brewing compost tea for it would be the cats whiskers!

Thanks Terps, I'll look into these soils. I might be able to get them Online, maybe Amazon, if not locally. :)

greenthumb

greenthumb

Growing organically is great! I work at a hydro shop and talk to reps and company owners on a regular basis. There is nothing to be afraid of using synthetic based nutrients most companies use pharmaceutical grade salts and provide high quality clean product mills, heavy 16 and my favorite nutrifield all use a blend of synthetic and organic inputs to give you the best of both worlds. I'm not trying to convince you to switch from growing organically I just want to relieve some of the scare from using synthetic nutes. Also bottled organically are readily available for the plant so brewing it while isn't a bad idea isn't necessary. Look into brew compost tea from worm casting kelp and molasses!

Further more I would like to also support green thumbs recommendation for a hid light! Using a vented hood and a 6" duct booster or a 4" inline to vent the heat out of the room although venting a light is less efficient than running it hot( heat=light, glass filters UVs)would be a world of difference! Light intensity directly effects the size and density of your plants flower sights and a hid light will provide a broader spectrum increasing quality as well.

Which synthetic nutrients are you talking about? i.e Fox Farm or Flora Nova? (Did you say Nutrifield?) Doesn't the non-organic chemical nutes have residues that can be harmful when you smoke them?? ?

Yes, I was using Bat Guano (which didn't smell at all!)and molasses for the budding stage, but I have now also got worm-castings and kelp for next time. I did soak them in the water overnight.
...you mean trippingballz recommendation of HID lights...unfortunately, in the set-up I have, it is not possible for me to use *hot lights* like HID, I already run hotter than I'd like 80-86F, maybe in the future I can use LED's which are cool, (but expensive); but I think for now CFLs and Floros have to do for me, and I have to try to improve all the other deficiencies in my set-up, like soil PH and combo of nutes, and humdity etc....

I do appreciate every bit of advice that I get from you guys and gals here in this forum ;)
Thanks and keep rolling bro,

Harvest

Puffntuff

Puffntuff

You took them down too early. That's part of the reason your yield was lower then you wanted. Plants will swell and put on weight in the final 2 weeks. Sour d usually runs 70 days or so.

organicpanic

organicpanic

Not bad at all! I don't want to harp about your lighting situation but I'm going to anyway as I think it's your limiting factor. You could go with a 250 watt hid or a 4' 8 bulb t5 which is around 250 watts as well and get more weight. Stay organic please. I run organic soil with a tea here and there in a 4 x 5 under a 1k. It does get hot like 85-mid ninetys vented. I have and can pull 3-4 ounce plants out of there. And don't pull plants early. They really bulk the last couple weeks regardless of tric color. It can work as a general rule but you never truly know if a stain is ready for you unless you have experienced it at different harvest times to judge how you like it!

greenthumb

greenthumb

Thanks everyone.
I do want to stay organic, and yes next time harvest a bit later.
Learned a lot from this one, maybe the next one will be a better yield...;)

R

RatCity

Which synthetic nutrients are you talking about? i.e Fox Farm or Flora Nova? (Did you say Nutrifield?) Doesn't the non-organic chemical nutes have residues that can be harmful when you smoke them?? ?

Yes, I was using Bat Guano (which didn't smell at all!)and molasses for the budding stage, but I have now also got worm-castings and kelp for next time. I did soak them in the water overnight.
...you mean trippingballz recommendation of HID lights...unfortunately, in the set-up I have, it is not possible for me to use *hot lights* like HID, I already run hotter than I'd like 80-86F, maybe in the future I can use LED's which are cool, (but expensive); but I think for now CFLs and Floros have to do for me, and I have to try to improve all the other deficiencies in my set-up, like soil PH and combo of nutes, and humdity etc....

I do appreciate every bit of advice that I get from you guys and gals here in this forum ;)
Thanks and keep rolling bro,

View attachment 438259
Check out the G8 leds. So far they are producing good finished medicine. I use the 600w's . Thinking about going to the 900w to increase growing footprint. Anyone else use with good results?

Top Bottom