First legal outdoor grow in the northeast. When do you start your seeds indoors

• Thread starter Diesel21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Diesel21

Diesel21

I’m doing my first legal outdoor grow this year and I started my seeds April 1st. I have since topped them and the are about 12” tall. Looking to see when others in the northeast start their plants indoors so I can get maximum yield. Also pruning techniques. Thanks

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I’m doing my first legal outdoor grow this year and I started my seeds April 1st. I have since topped them and the are about 12” tall. Looking to see when others in the northeast start their plants indoors so I can get maximum yield. Also pruning techniques. Thanks
Not in the Northeast, but generally longer veg=bigger plants= bigger yield. I am in the High Sierra of N. Nevada and the plants I will grow outdoors this year have been vegging since Late January/Feb. They begin flowering here about July 31, so they have nice long veg.

Began hardening off late April and they will go outside about May 10th weather permitting. (I am using 15 gallon cloth pots this yr with Sunshine mix/Promix)
The 2 in the #1's will be transplanted traditionally, but the one in the 5 gallon cloth pot will just get dropped into the larger pot . (the roots grow thru easily)

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

It depends what state your in, your not in Connecticut beacuse cultivation is illegal, however I have a bit of experience growing outdoors in New England, in Connecticut I would start my plants mid April and put them out after memorial day as that is the date when there is no possibility of frost and you want your plants to be small plants so they can handle the elements, if your in mass I would put them out after may 31frst, if your up in Maine and I have grown there too you have to wait longer I think we used to put them out after June 15th, that's central Maine it still cold up there and mud season.

NHWhites

NHWhites

Starting seedlings earlier will result in bigger plants. I usually start my outdoor seeds around March/April but I need to keep them smaller since my setup isn’t necessarily in the confines of the law lol. I start to harden them off around mid-May.

Expect 90-100% overnight humidity starting in September and lots of fucking caterpillars that want to get high af and destroy your crop

What strains are you running?

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Oh and one more thing, beware of deer they will luv to eat your fresh flower and ruin all that hard work.

Diesel21

Diesel21

I have blue dream and original glue. My yard is completely fenced in and I have Rottweilers so not many animals come around. How about topping. Should I continue to top until flower?

NHWhites

NHWhites

I have blue dream and original glue. My yard is completely fenced in and I have Rottweilers so not many animals come around. How about topping. Should I continue to top until flower?
I wouldn’t top past early July. That said, the earliest onset of flower I’ve seen is the end of July, for a strain that was said to be done by the end of September

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I used to grow in the maritimes and would usually start plants indoors early to mid April and transplant outdoors the second week of June.

For pruning, I just topped them once when they're about 12" tall, a few weeks before they go outdoors. Then I used 2x2" steel mesh for homemade cages.

Madbud

Madbud

Eastern Mass, started these the end of Feb-Mid March from seed under 48” shop lights and some old crappy 75w metal halide lamps. Been hardening them on warmer days in the bulkhead. Holding off a couple more weeks to get the light cycle down to at most 15/9 to prevent reveg. (The other option i’ve read is fifteen minutes of light around midnight.) caterpillars were aplenty last year so i’m planning on spraying neem and/or spinosad thru June. Topping is just a matter of preference. The girls make plenty of tops by themselves. Bending them keeps them under the fence.

4247CBBF 1EB9 447D 81D3 C6347C5B0EA9
Last edited:
Top Bottom