First Outdoor Grow....preventing Bud Rot?

• Thread starter ForrestGUMP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

ForrestGUMP

Hello all. I apologise if this information is already in the forums. I'm in the middle of my first outdoor grow and the closer I get to flowering the more I worry about bud rot. I've never had any problems indoors but I worry because some of my colas get pretty dense.

My girls have plenty of space and air flow. I have them in a chicken wire cage and each plant has its own grow space. I planned on covering the whole cage with a tarp everytime it rains. I also plan to defoliate as much as possible.

A big question I have is whether or not I need to cover my plants every night because of the dew. I've read different opinions on this. I've heard some people say to shake the plants every morning to shake off the dew....(that sounds like a lot of shaking for me to do lol).

I live in mid Michigan, zone 5b I believe.

So should I cover them every night? Or only when it rains? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

below frigid

below frigid

Lots depends on where your at, strains your growing, day time temps and humidity. Bud size and type. You can try Actinovate as a preventative. Watch your biggest fattest cola's. One little yellow leaf in the middle of the bud that looks out of place is the beginning. When I have found it and i live where it is very dry, I remove any bud that has it. If I am far enough along I may consider taking the biggest buds a tad early if I were to see it on multiple plants. Tried to push some plants to the finish line one year and ended up having that shit all over. Some strains are highly succeptable and others may not get it if it rained every day. If the dew is heavy I might cover them depending on how many I had. I would not worry to much about it until your last month. Sure they like the dew right now. My humidity is 5-10% on most days. Dew? LOL https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:93426.1.99999
Cooled down today 108 yesterday.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Check out procidic2. You can cover if you want to but not necessary. I've learned over the years plants can actually take a few rain events and be just fine the problem comes from having some kind of bug issues mainly caterpillars, any damage from those and plants being wet you'll be sure to have some issues. Some genetics just do better than other when it comes to rot.

F

ForrestGUMP

I hope my genetics are somewhat resistant lol. As I said I've never had any problems but I've also only grown indoors. Thanks for the advice!

F

ForrestGUMP

I think I'm going to cover them every night once the buds form just to be safe. I worry so much about some of my big girls lol. And I will definitely watch out for any bugs!

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Well now is the time to be proactive with spraying for bugs, I'd spray a few times while your still in Veg. So much easier to prevent a problem.

F

ForrestGUMP

That's a good idea with the leaf blower....the tarp wont touch the buds...

F

ForrestGUMP

So If anybody cares lol....I think my method of attack is going to be cover during the rain, and I'm also going to buy to outdoor oscillating fans. The fans are rated for 500 square ft. And that's about the size of my cage. I'm thinking I should run them 24 hours just to be safe? Any input appreciated lol.

F

ForrestGUMP

Run some electric and run some fans in that bitch
Looking good man!

I added 2 fans for 500 sqaure feet. It think I might need one or 2 more so I can use them on a lower setting. ...the plants close to the fans are getting the crap kicked out of them. And the weather has been so humid!

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

Looking good man!

I added 2 fans for 500 sqaure feet. It think I might need one or 2 more so I can use them on a lower setting. ...the plants close to the fans are getting the crap kicked out of them. And the weather has been so humid!
You're going to want to put fans on the ground for "skirting" as well

Madbud

Madbud

Shaking just drives the dew deeper into the bud. Leaf blower from below the plant works. Next year i’m thinking spray silica. I toss the whole bud, nasty stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom