First RDWC Grow - Taking the Deep Water Culture Plunge

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I eun a transition to pretty much between the end of stretch and end of swelling depend on how the plants look
I was trying to figure out what you meant here bro but I will most likely be doing a res change tomorrow or the next day as I approach the 8 gallon top off mark. Not 100% sure on the nute ratios but plan on using that chart I posted previously at the medium feeding level unless you or Moe advise differently.

Looking ahead, I was wondering if I need to anticipate when this gal will finish so that I can time the flush to that last week. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am reading that I want to do a flush for the last week with just plain water in the system. If that is correct, then I would want to know about how many days this strain will finish. @ImpulsiveGrower, do you find this strain to finish in under 60 days? Seems like I remember she didn't want to go much past that 8 week mark but I could be wrong.

I'm also thinking this will likely be the last res change before harvest if I am right about the flush week. I am coming up to the finish line and don't want to screw it up now! Wondering if that medium feed level is too much? I def would like to push this gal to the finish line but don't want to over do it. What do you guys think?

Here is a short video update-

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was trying to figure out what you meant here bro but I will most likely be doing a res change tomorrow or the next day as I approach the 8 gallon top off mark. Not 100% sure on the nute ratios but plan on using that chart I posted previously at the medium feeding level unless you or Moe advise differently.

Looking ahead, I was wondering if I need to anticipate when this gal will finish so that I can time the flush to that last week. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am reading that I want to do a flush for the last week with just plain water in the system. If that is correct, then I would want to know about how many days this strain will finish. @ImpulsiveGrower, do you find this strain to finish in under 60 days? Seems like I remember she didn't want to go much past that 8 week mark but I could be wrong.

I'm also thinking this will likely be the last res change before harvest if I am right about the flush week. I am coming up to the finish line and don't want to screw it up now! Wondering if that medium feed level is too much? I def would like to push this gal to the finish line but don't want to over do it. What do you guys think?

Here is a short video update-
I dont flush… no need, just lower the ppm the last 4-7 days.

personally i would stick with the ratios that @Moe.Red gave ya and just slightly lower the ppm as you get closer to harvest.

he may do it slightly different than myself so wait to see what ge says because he is familiar with these nutrients

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So this is a bit different than the normal grow. We are trying to add some mass to these stalks, but the time when mass is really packed on we were playing around with all kinds of res changes and nute swap and PH issues. We missed our window a little bit, and now what I see is swollen calyxes and a ripening plant, not one still adding much mass. It's still gonna be a great harvest but we can do better next time!

Since we are not really putting on much mass any more, it is a judgement call if you want to drop the N down. Usually at this point I stop adding green to it at all, as the brown has plenty of N for late stage flower.

No more cal mag needed if you were wondering.

I see no new nute burn. Everything being equal, I probably would have gone a bit higher than 600PPM, but you didn't have it to add lol. We will nail this next time.

As far as flushing goes, I find that to be broscience unless you are trying to get a colorful fade. If this were me, I'd do that on the next one if you are interested and give this girl everything she needs to the last second to try to maximize cannabinoids and terpenes. Now is a time to add more sulfur based products (it is in brown) to increase terps if you want to play with that.

So what I see here overall is a plant nearing harvest, and keeping it 100% happy up to the end is your best move right now.

Now would be the time to experiment with colder root zone and colder night time temps if you want to. I'm already seeing anthocyanins in the petioles, you might find that you get some color on the buds too if that is important to you. Bag appeal only.

A couple of nitpicks - take them for what you paid for them

The canopy is not mostly level. This will cause lower buds to ripen at a different time than upper buds. This is corrected on the next grow via cropping, steering, LST, etc.

The lower net was not needed and will only get in your way at harvest and when working on the plants.

When you think you are getting close, please post up some closeups of the bracts / trichomes. Also keep an eye out for new white pistils emerging, and let me know if you see any. Most likely on lower buds if they happen at this point.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Thanks Moe! I will try to hit all your points here-

So this is a bit different than the normal grow. We are trying to add some mass to these stalks, but the time when mass is really packed on we were playing around with all kinds of res changes and nute swap and PH issues. We missed our window a little bit, and now what I see is swollen calyxes and a ripening plant, not one still adding much mass. It's still gonna be a great harvest but we can do better next time!
Next time is going to awesome! This time has been awesome too and I am happy, that this being my first attempt at hydro, it was not a complete disaster. I have you and Aquaman to thank for that!

Since we are not really putting on much mass any more, it is a judgement call if you want to drop the N down. Usually at this point I stop adding green to it at all, as the brown has plenty of N for late stage flower.
I would follow your lead here with the N. When I eliminate the green, should I stick with the week 6 nutrient amounts on the GH feeding chart or increase it to get to the target ppm? It's calling for 3.8 mL per gal of the brown and 4.5 mL per gal of the pink with a final ppm of 500-650.

No more cal mag needed if you were wondering.
Yes, I was wondering that. No more cal/mag on the next res change which should be the last one.

As far as flushing goes, I find that to be broscience unless you are trying to get a colorful fade. If this were me, I'd do that on the next one if you are interested and give this girl everything she needs to the last second to try to maximize cannabinoids and terpenes. Now is a time to add more sulfur based products (it is in brown) to increase terps if you want to play with that.
This is good to know. I do like colorful flowers but I agree with you, max the terps and cannabinoids are the priority and go for the fade next time.

So what I see here overall is a plant nearing harvest, and keeping it 100% happy up to the end is your best move right now.

Now would be the time to experiment with colder root zone and colder night time temps if you want to. I'm already seeing anthocyanins in the petioles, you might find that you get some color on the buds too if that is important to you. Bag appeal only.
Agreed and great advise. Our evening temps have been dipping into the 40's and I have been getting my room cool at night for this very purpose. Do you advise running the chiller a bit cooler as well?

A couple of nitpicks - take them for what you paid for them
Lovin the nitpicks....keep em coming 😁

The canopy is not mostly level. This will cause lower buds to ripen at a different time than upper buds. This is corrected on the next grow via cropping, steering, LST, etc.

The lower net was not needed and will only get in your way at harvest and when working on the plants.
Yea, and I tried too. Definitely room for improvement there. I know about the lower net, and even that upper one for that matter. That gal stretched way more than any other plant I have ever grown. I've learned to keep those things higher and let her grow into it which I did not do this time. For all intents, those nets I installed have been almost for not....lol. I had to get in there today with some garden wire, tie it to the back tent pole on one side and bring it all the way around the front of the plant and back down the other side to the other tent pole in the back to prop the whole plant up. It was starting to fall over toward the door!

When you think you are getting close, please post up some closeups of the bracts / trichomes. Also keep an eye out for new white pistils emerging, and let me know if you see any. Most likely on lower buds if they happen at this point.
Will do. I have seen new pistils coming out from several of the taller bud sites. I will look a little closer tomorrow when lights are back on.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Sorry I missed the reply:

I would eliminate the green and if you want to bump up the brown which contains N plus micros and sulfur to help with finishing.

The chiller can be set a little lower if you want. You probably will see no difference at this point tho.

We can focus on the training a bit more next time. It helps to have plants that look as nice as Aqua's to start with, plenty of options at that point. I'm hoping that is what you see next time.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I would follow your lead here with the N. When I eliminate the green, should I stick with the week 6 nutrient amounts on the GH feeding chart or increase it to get to the target ppm? It's calling for 3.8 mL per gal of the brown and 4.5 mL per gal of the pink with a final ppm of 500-650.
I would eliminate the green and if you want to bump up the brown which contains N plus micros and sulfur to help with finishing.

How does this sound? 4.5 mL per gallon brown and 4.5 mL per gallon pink. That is bumping the brown up from 3.8 on the GH chart and sticking with the pink 6 week recommendation from GH. Not sure what the ppm would be after this but I am guessing if it gets too high after adding nutrients I can always pull some water out and dilute it with fresh RO water to get it to a target number of 500-650 on the GH chart.

Didn't need to change the res today as I was guessing I would need to do and it's looking like it will likely be tomorrow or perhaps even Friday.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Here’s a short video update. I’m about 3/4 of a gallon shy of topping off the full 8 gallons. Also took some close ups to get a look at the trichomes. She’s not ready yet but getting close.

Looking like res change tomorrow and I’m going to try dosing at the rates previously mentioned.

1D5353BC 2BD8 4D94 B701 1B7D1CC557E8
F1661482 177A 402E 8A11 A97DAA535598
08DDF2B8 A45A 45B3 929C 18B76F73517D
42A7572D FA3C 4E4E 83C0 906F46D08EBF
30A4AA3A 338B 4237 879B FC11D134B771
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Here’s a short video update. I’m about 3/4 of a gallon shy of topping off the full 8 gallons. Also took some close ups to get a look at the trichomes. She’s not ready yet but getting close.

Looking like res change tomorrow and I’m going to try dosing at the rates previously mentioned.
Looking good man… getting there

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Got the Rez change done today. Ended up adding 4.5 mL per gallon of brown and pink. Ppm is a bit low for the target so I added four more milliliters of each. Took a short video showing PH & PPM after the change out.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Day 52 today and cruising to the finish line. Ph has been stable with minor adjustments to counter a slow drift down. Other than that just waiting for things to ripen. Lower flowers are definitely behind the rest, not sure if I should harvest all at once or do two rounds.

Here are some flower shots.

9E7A2FD2 CF2D 47B8 9489 592204750D8A
B045043A 8F6D 4C4C 99C8 10F1BC89C072
8BD8B143 6065 4A39 8BC2 E8D1D8C0381A

B670E3BD 97D0 4D23 9607 C7E8D0FE69F1
398FBDF5 5A45 4EE1 86C1 FD31FDBAE8E4
39182710 D20E 464C A69A F898EC888C51
1BD7C2A0 0726 4BF4 A00E C2686E37F8FB

Here are some close ups of upper flowers.

7DDAAFB5 9050 4CE0 81C8 D0B7322D4FAD
3DB2751D 87B4 4AE3 B989 76B8C4E4B96C
F55CC063 D10B 4AB2 B301 4362A62D53AF
2AB9FC54 3CD4 48C3 AC11 D5D4E0EE2918
D463097B 0E4D 481F 9D47 81EB047F6141

Here are a couple from lower flowers.

F59E9F15 262B 4F69 AD03 874EB8B261A7
7A67BE8B 8906 451C 878B 059B2F1839BD

I think I’m getting close but not quite there yet.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm loving that trichome density, and really nice recovery overall.

I know it doesn't seem like it ATM, but you are better off in the long run to have had these issues and recovered. The learning curve is worth it in the end, trust me. As you get this nailed down, you will never want for weed again!

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Thanks bro! This may change but as for now I'm going to be running a strain by Brother Mendel called Tropic of Censer in the next hydro grow. My plan is to start a seed (done) and pull some clones for the hydro system. Going to be running 4 this time so I need this seedling that I have started to get big so I can root at least 4 clones for this new grow, want all the same strain and preferably off the same mother for uniformity in the grow.

I'm going to have a bit of a gap in grows this time, got lots of things in the works yet to share, and I'm right in the middle of my kitchen remodel. Once that is finished I should have some good rooted clones and be ready to rock and roll!

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Today is day 54 and here are some close-ups as well as some flower shots. I thought are they are not quite ready yet some of the close-ups are from lower flowers and they seem to be catching up with the upper ones.

438EAB08 2B0C 4E71 97CD C401FE0F27F8
2C665F07 4E90 4E57 AD93 20D67A926574
C85D1A5B 7F72 4E06 A38C B12C8E75EBEF
37DB8E4E 17C8 4C16 8FCC E38FC2744E9D
CCC4AE3A D4D6 4259 8886 EB3A71F200F5
9484261E 315C 47D3 94E4 543E53909751
0E5A488A 7D5F 4063 AF9E 885A2A06209A
1059AE88 ABBB 4210 80A9 E663E021293E
B5F5D3C6 B8AD 4FC8 B744 4908438E4F5B
980B259A B05B 47A8 B1B8 3AC203C32ECD
0CB96CB0 5563 4E0C B24E A39931182799
29288FCC 2D36 43B8 9793 A8E81A8A9319