First real SCROG attempt - should I thin it?

• Thread starter Paul63
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Paul63

Paul63

Hi there I’m curious if I should remove any of the leaves in my canopy above the mesh or just leave them alone - initially I did limit mesh penetration to one per square imbut others popped through or grew out of the horizontal branches and the fan leaves are really packed together on one of them. I am going to try and remove more under mesh growth but it’s hard to reach - Thanks

First real scrog attempt   should i thin it
First real scrog attempt   should i thin it 2
First real scrog attempt   should i thin it 3
Paul63

Paul63

Hi there I’m curious if I should remove any of the leaves in my canopy above the mesh or just leave them alone - initially I did limit mesh penetration to one per square imbut others popped through or grew out of the horizontal branches and the fan leaves are really packed together on one of them. I am going to try and remove more under mesh growth but it’s hard to reach - Thanks
Oops forgot to mention they are 2.5 weeks into flowering and stretching has pretty much stopped

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I waited until day 21 of flower and then remove everything below the screen. As for the top, do you have good ventilation and fans going in the room? It can cause issues if you do not have good airflow. I chose to leave the canopy alone above the screen. Day 21 would be the day to thin out the top as well.
I have 3 fans going 24/7 and an exhaust that runs every 15 min for 15 min.
4ED5749D CBEC 4FB2 82C3 909D39E859DE
DB46AB32 95A1 426A A772 B2D8DFFD6E68
76ED2C75 47B5 4C33 9827 270677362766
E6160C4F BD43 4B52 8A72 ABEC489F12E2

Paul63

Paul63

I waited until day 21 of flower and then remove everything below the screen. As for the top, do you have good ventilation and fans going in the room? It can cause issues if you do not have good airflow. I chose to leave the canopy alone above the screen. Day 21 would be the day to thin out the top as well.
I have 3 fans going 24/7 and an exhaust that runs every 15 min for 15 min.
View attachment 1232281View attachment 1232282View attachment 1232283View attachment 1232285
Beautiful ! I have one oscillating fan blowing on the canopy.- it seems if I remove some selected leaves I can increase light penentration to the buds that are closer to the mesh but not sure what that would do to flower development on those branches if you know what I mean.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

I would thin and defoliate aggressively. The canopy looks great you did a good job but if it were me I would remove probably like 1/3 of all those big water leaves. Fill half a bucket really get in there don't be afraid the plants can handle it. You especially want to remove any waterleaves that are covering or blocking light from the smaller branch tops below. Think of it this way... when you look down on it from the top you want to be able to count as many tops as possible. Try to make it so every bud top is open to the light and no being shaded by a leaf above. The biggest tallest branches are obviously gonne be your biggest flowers thats a give in cuz they are the highest and get all the light. Its these little guys below that I marked with the Red arrows in the picture below. Thats where you want to focus. Once the canopy is opened up the small buds below can get enough light to dense up. If you keep them shaded the way it is now they will be larf and fluff. Defoliating like this actually increases yield.

Screen Shot 2022 04 03 at 81706 AM

Paul63

Paul63

I would thin and defoliate aggressively. The canopy looks great you did a good job but if it were me I would remove probably like 1/3 of all those big water leaves. Fill half a bucket really get in there don't be afraid the plants can handle it. You especially want to remove any waterleaves that are covering or blocking light from the smaller branch tops below. Think of it this way... when you look down on it from the top you want to be able to count as many tops as possible. Try to make it so every bud top is open to the light and no being shaded by a leaf above. The biggest tallest branches are obviously gonne be your biggest flowers thats a give in cuz they are the highest and get all the light. Its these little guys below that I marked with the Red arrows in the picture below. Thats where you want to focus. Once the canopy is opened up the small buds below can get enough light to dense up. If you keep them shaded the way it is now they will be larf and fluff. Defoliating like this actually increases yield.

View attachment 1232332
That’s what I was thinking - though not quit that much - thanks for the input

Paul63

Paul63

View attachment 1232332
They responded nicely to the thinning so I did the same on my other SCROG that unfortunately had a couple of males which I removed last week

ABBE373A 2C84 402F A624 0E2CEDE4540B
05AAA795 78AD 4453 B09A D1DE742B1511
51BCCA42 6174 4F5B 9389 A4C9A1903C95

Latest posts

Top Bottom