First Run In Coco OG Kush

• Thread starter The409Line
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The409Line

The409Line

Great site. Trying my first run with Coco Coir. After a 100 YouTube videos and forum post threads, I’m still not sure the feeding required for Coco/Perlite 70/30. Questions:

1). Does Coco have to remain completely soaked as in a hydro set up or is it closer to soil (water as needed)?

2). PPM and PH on run off. I’ve only fed once at 400 PPMs and PPM was 1200! on run off. PH was around 6 on pics 1&2 but close to 4.7 on pics 3&4. Is that from the CC not being rinsed? If so, can I do initial rinse with tap? Did notice pots had caps at bottom and wasn’t getting enough runoff so that may have accounted for low PH on 3&4.

3) Fabric or plastic pots. - just wondering if there is a difference with Coco.

First run in coco og kush
First run in coco og kush 2
First run in coco og kush 3
First run in coco og kush 4
First run in coco og kush 5
Enforcer

Enforcer

Great site. Trying my first run with Coco Coir. After a 100 YouTube videos and forum post threads, I’m still not sure the feeding required for Coco/Perlite 70/30. Questions:

1). Does Coco have to remain completely soaked as in a hydro set up or is it closer to soil (water as needed)?

2). PPM and PH on run off. I’ve only fed once at 400 PPMs and PPM was 1200! on run off. PH was around 6 on pics 1&2 but close to 4.7 on pics 3&4. Is that from the CC not being rinsed? If so, can I do initial rinse with tap? Did notice pots had caps at bottom and wasn’t getting enough runoff so that may have accounted for low PH on 3&4.

1. Yes, it must always remain moist. Using coco like you are requires you feed at least once a day. But you will need to increase the frequency as the plant grows. Remember, it’s not soil and has different requirements from you as the grower.

2.Yes, the high ppm is from not rinsing and not pre buffering the coco.

2.5 Yes, you can fix it by flushing a low ppm solution (500 or so) through the coco until the runoff ppm is the same as the input ppm. Then see #1.

3. Fabric, for better root aeration and rapid growth. Plastic will work too. But at a slightly reduced growth rate.

The409Line

The409Line

1. Yes, it must always remain moist. Using coco like you are requires you feed at least once a day. But you will need to increase the frequency as the plant grows. Remember, it’s not soil and has different requirements from you as the grower.

2.5 Yes, you can fix it by flushing a low ppm solution (500 or so) through the coco until the runoff ppm is the same as the input ppm. Then see #1.

3. Fabric, for better root aeration and rapid growth. Plastic will work too. But at a slightly reduced growth rate.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Do as @Enforcer says and you will have success. He knows his stuff, trust em.

THCMonster

THCMonster

Been growing in coco for over 6+ years now... And i will never change! Lol

Coco is definitely a learning curve! Never try to treat it like dirt or even peat based substrates.

Depending on the brand of coco you went with i can almost assure you the reason you came out with such a high ppm run off was because the coco was dirty, you have to flush most coco until you come down in ppm before you plant. I personally use Canna Coco, so of the cleanest coco I've ever used, that and the coco bricks make it amazing to save space and my back when bringing into my basement.

Coco always needs extra CAL-MAG and i can tell for your pics you definitely need some. See the little dots on your leaves those are tell tale signs of Calcium deficiency! If you ever get yellow tiger striped leaves with green veins on the leaves then that 9/10 Magnesium deficiency! Just food for thought.

Your run off should never be more then 300ppm over what you are watering into your plants, sometimes the ph can fluctuate for run off, dont worry about that as long as the PH going in is around 5.8-6.2 then you will be golden.

If your Run off ppms are higher then 300ppm then what you put in then you are feeding them too high of ppm to start off with (your plants can only take up so many ppms in a given time frame!)

Dont treat it like dirt, what i mean by that is with dirt you water and dont water until its dry again, but you cant do that with coco, the more it drys out the higher your ppms get and since it doeant hold on to nutrients your plants will go deficient at some point. Feed that at least every other day, but really you sould be having it get to the point where they are drying out everyday... If they are not drying out everyday then you arent letting the root base get big enough before transplanting!

Most people like to go from a 1gal pot to a 5gal right away... But with coco you dont want to do that, your plant cant soak up that much water and in turn your pots are always going to be moist or wet. Wait for them to almost get root bound before transplanting!

Even if they feel the slightest bit dry, feed them!

You can also let them dry down to train the roots to grow faster!

Just make sure you use cal-mag every other feeding, use less ppms of feed if run off is over 200-300ppm what you are feeding in, make sure you feed them regularly like every other day at least, and make sure you root bound them before transplanting, and dont transplant to too big of a pot! And you will be golden!

Hope this helps

The409Line

The409Line

Been growing in coco for over 6+ years now... And i will never change! Lol

Coco is definitely a learning curve! Never try to treat it like dirt or even peat based substrates.

Depending on the brand of coco you went with i can almost assure you the reason you came out with such a high ppm run off was because the coco was dirty, you have to flush most coco until you come down in ppm before you plant. I personally use Canna Coco, so of the cleanest coco I've ever used, that and the coco bricks make it amazing to save space and my back when bringing into my basement.

Coco always needs extra CAL-MAG and i can tell for your pics you definitely need some. See the little dots on your leaves those are tell tale signs of Calcium deficiency! If you ever get yellow tiger striped leaves with green veins on the leaves then that 9/10 Magnesium deficiency! Just food for thought.

Your run off should never be more then 300ppm over what you are watering into your plants, sometimes the ph can fluctuate for run off, dont worry about that as long as the PH going in is around 5.8-6.2 then you will be golden.

If your Run off ppms are higher then 300ppm then what you put in then you are feeding them too high of ppm to start off with (your plants can only take up so many ppms in a given time frame!)

Dont treat it like dirt, what i mean by that is with dirt you water and dont water until its dry again, but you cant do that with coco, the more it drys out the higher your ppms get and since it doeant hold on to nutrients your plants will go deficient at some point. Feed that at least every other day, but really you sould be having it get to the point where they are drying out everyday... If they are not drying out everyday then you arent letting the root base get big enough before transplanting!

Most people like to go from a 1gal pot to a 5gal right away... But with coco you dont want to do that, your plant cant soak up that much water and in turn your pots are always going to be moist or wet. Wait for them to almost get root bound before transplanting!

Even if they feel the slightest bit dry, feed them!

You can also let them dry down to train the roots to grow faster!

Just make sure you use cal-mag every other feeding, use less ppms of feed if run off is over 200-300ppm what you are feeding in, make sure you feed them regularly like every other day at least, and make sure you root bound them before transplanting, and dont transplant to too big of a pot! And you will be golden!

Hope this helps
BIg Thanks. Definitely helped. I was actually going to ask about the Cal M This strain needed moreeven in soil so I’ll definitely keep that in mind. Probably should have left it cups a little longer but got impatient. Lol.

I’m into it for quality bud over yield so appreciate the help. I’ll post pics once a week to see progress. Love the knowledge on these boards.

THCMonster

THCMonster

BIg Thanks. Definitely helped. I was actually going to ask about the Cal M This strain needed moreeven in soil so I’ll definitely keep that in mind. Probably should have left it cups a little longer but got impatient. Lol.

I’m into it for quality bud over yield so appreciate the help. I’ll post pics once a week to see progress. Love the knowledge on these boards.

Keep up the good work! 👍

Once you run coco a few times it will become 2nd nature! And trust me you wont want to go back to anything else!

The409Line

The409Line

Looks like 3/4 are going to make it. May just let the last one go. Even the seed looked weak (lighter color and smaller) from beginning. I’m starting to understand the fascination with Coco. Definitely easier to make corrections to base.

Questions on transfer with Coco
1:) I’m flushing with tap water because I don’t have an RO yet. Do I need to let coco sit a few days? I was planning adding bottle water CalMag on transfer. Any suggestions ?

2:)

Probably transfer to larger pots next weekend since I’m 30 days in. Feeding twice and then water once a day. PPMs are around 600-700 runoff with PH 5.5-6.
Probably transfer to larger pots next weekend since I’m 30 days in. Feeding twice and then water once a day. PPMs are around 600-700 runoff with PH 5.5-6.

7E45F5D6 9CFA 4BD3 96E9 F85125491E4D
B5590406 A87D 4F9B B5E9 AF9421629CEA
30D0D856 A79E 419B B343 1D845D4F29FE
664218FB 3E4A 4489 A739 2FC8DF2FFCFA

bunkerking

bunkerking

Go listen to the postcasts on Coco for cannabis. You are shooting yourself in the foot with what you are currently doing.

Top Bottom