First time attempting LST, want to make sure I am doing this right.

• Thread starter Sauromayne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sauromayne

Hello everyone. This is my first grow and she is a Zkittlez Auto from Fast Buds. Day 36 from seed in soil and she sprouted 3 days later. Using FF Happy Frog Potting Soil, water ph'd to 6.2 and FF trio dry amendment once a week as directed on the packaging. She started to flower a few days ago and has had no prior training. I realize that training should start sooner but I was busy trying to get the environment in my tent perfect and figuring everything out so did not want to mess with any training.

The first four photos are from yesterday and the plant received no training at that point. I got some hemp string today and tied her down as seen in the last three photos. Is this satisfactory, do I need to tie it down higher up on the main stem? Also, I want to make sure if I should even be training at this point? I wish I decided to start with a photo as I wasn't really ready for her to start flowering...but if I do decide to continue doing the LST, how long should I continue to do it for?

Next grow I am going to go for a photo and will be doing LST from early veg stage so just looking for any advice you all can provide. Thank you 😀

First time attempting lst want to make sure i am doing this right
First time attempting lst want to make sure i am doing this right 2
First time attempting lst want to make sure i am doing this right 3
First time attempting lst want to make sure i am doing this right 4
First time attempting lst want to make sure i am doing this right 5
First time attempting lst want to make sure i am doing this right 6
First time attempting lst want to make sure i am doing this right 7
tobh

tobh

Supporter
protip: start with two lines. one low on the plant, like between node 1 and node 2. then, your secondary line higher up.

the first holds the main trunk in position so the second line can pull much more drastically.

solid first attempt, but not exactly executed properly.

also, in the future fill that pot up much more. you have a good little microclimate down there that can cause issues.

S

Sauromayne

protip: start with two lines. one low on the plant, like between node 1 and node 2. then, your secondary line higher up.

the first holds the main trunk in position so the second line can pull much more drastically.

solid first attempt, but not exactly executed properly.

also, in the future fill that pot up much more. you have a good little microclimate down there that can cause issues.
Okay I see what you are saying, I am going to try that out right now, I'll post another photo in a few minutes and let me know if it looks any better.

Yeah after I transplanted to the 5 gal I realized that I didn't fill it up nearly enough. Definitely going to remember not to do that next time. Is it worth it to add more in at this point? I actually added more earlier today because I wanted the stem to have more support, but as you can see in the photos I definitely can add more.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
you could likely get away with burying those first two nodes. you have quite a bit of space in that pot still, and the plant should throw roots once that stem section is buried.

S

Sauromayne

you could likely get away with burying those first two nodes. you have quite a bit of space in that pot still, and the plant should throw roots once that stem section is buried.
Alright yeah the bottom leaves aren't doing too hot anyways so I guess I could cut those and fill the pot up with more soil.

I redid the LST, let me know if you think this looks better or if there is still something I should do differently.

PXL 20220131 031322262
PXL 20220131 031328962
PXL 20220131 031340588
PXL 20220131 031423345
PXL 20220131 031449665
S

Sauromayne

I did end up burying the first 2 nodes, so here is what we are looking like now.

PXL 20220131 033215928
tobh

tobh

Supporter
much better. let that settle for a few days and then do the two line method I mentioned. you won't be disappointed. good work.

S

Sauromayne

much better. let that settle for a few days and then do the two line method I mentioned. you won't be disappointed. good work.
Alright sounds good. Thanks for the help man, really appreciate you 👍

quirk

quirk

Equal and opposite. I start when I get a mature 5th node then clear out under 4. Just personal preference.
For future grows, grommets work well on fabric bags for training.

Equal and opposite
Under
S

Sauromayne

Equal and opposite. I start when I get a mature 5th node then clear out under 4. Just personal preference.
For future grows, grommets work well on fabric bags for training.
Thanks for sharing your pictures, that definitely looks like a much easier way to secure them than what I am currently using. I uploaded some pictures of what she is looking like today after my current training for 48 hours. At what point do I need to change positioning of the training?

My understanding of LST is that it creates a flatter canopy (which it seems I am succeeding in) and also creates more top colas. Is that correct? I just don't see a new top forming anywhere so not sure where to go from here. Let me know if you have any advice for me.

PXL 20220202 031340390
PXL 20220202 031354242
PXL 20220202 031406426
quirk

quirk

Thanks for sharing your pictures, that definitely looks like a much easier way to secure them than what I am currently using. I uploaded some pictures of what she is looking like today after my current training for 48 hours. At what point do I need to change positioning of the training?

My understanding of LST is that it creates a flatter canopy (which it seems I am succeeding in) and also creates more top colas. Is that correct? I just don't see a new top forming anywhere so not sure where to go from here. Let me know if you have any advice for me.
Throughout my auto grow I will pull down and separate nodes 360 degrees around the pot. When the nodes and branches grow in length and start turning up to vertical, I move my tie downs further out to pull them back down. All around the pot, all the time, to achieve anatomy seen in the last pic. Your apical stem has turned back upright and needs to be pulled back down. The way your plant is not centered in the pot and is pulled over you're gonna have a hard time training around the pot.

Before
After
Finished
S

Sauromayne

Throughout my auto grow I will pull down and separate nodes 360 degrees around the pot. When the nodes and branches grow in length and start turning up to vertical, I move my tie downs further out to pull them back down. All around the pot, all the time, to achieve anatomy seen in the last pic. Your apical stem has turned back upright and needs to be pulled back down. The way your plant is not centered in the pot and is pulled over you're gonna have a hard time training around the pot.
Okay I have a better understanding now, the pictures help a lot. The stem is so far to the side because I didn't fill the pot up enough and when I tried to bury it that happened, but wont be a problem in the future hopefully.

At least now I understand the general idea, thank you.

fastrt09

fastrt09

You need a tie down at the opposite size on the base like this

WIN 20220204 10 46 03 Pro
ascendancystrains

ascendancystrains

Good luck! FWT, I was able to use a bendable, rubber coated wire that worked real nice without any fear of cutting into the plant. I ended up being a little too aggressive with the technique and came home to a split plant. It was like walking into a murder scene! Alls well that ends well though - I just taped it up with duct tape the plant yielded a massive output. Have fun - these plants are extremely resilient.

Top Bottom