First time checking runoff PPM question

• Thread starter homegrower420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
homegrower420

homegrower420

Not to sure where to put this but any way here we go. I’m growing auto flowers in fox farm happy frog soil and today was the first time I checked the ppms they were over 3000. They are in 3 gallon fabric pots and I have not given them any type of nutrients yet. The pots are re used from last grow. So my question would be could there be left over nutrients built up in there that didn’t get rinsed out that’s causing those type of readings

esther917

esther917

Not to sure where to put this but any way here we go. I’m growing auto flowers in fox farm happy frog soil and today was the first time I checked the ppms they were over 3000. They are in 3 gallon fabric pots and I have not given them any type of nutrients yet. The pots are re used from last grow. So my question would be could there be left over nutrients built up in there that didn’t get rinsed out that’s causing those type of readings

That's just the nutes already in the soil...and organic soil like that tends to read really high before the plant starts using up what's in the there. You should be able to go 3-5 weeks with that happy frog before needing to feed nutes. Just check the PPMs in the runoff again in a couple weeks and once it's under 800-900 that's usually a good time to think about feeding a bit. Good luck!

homegrower420

homegrower420

Ok cool I don’t realize that is was that high. This will be my third grow and that was the highest I ever seen it

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Don't read ppm of preferted soil you will be chasing ghosts. Ppm is pretty much useless in organic soils and will always read way higher.

growsince79

growsince79

That's just the nutes already in the soil...and organic soil like that tends to read really high before the plant starts using up what's in the there. You should be able to go 3-5 weeks with that happy frog before needing to feed nutes. Just check the PPMs in the runoff again in a couple weeks and once it's under 800-900 that's usually a good time to think about feeding a bit. Good luck!
Organic ppm and synthetic ppm don't measure the same. Its like apples and oranges- or centimeters and inches. My plants in cocoloco need nutes at around 1600ppm runoff. If I waited for 800ppm the plant will be dead.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Does that apply to ph also? So basically only worry about what’s going in?
Well imo don't ph the feed unless you need to for something like silica. The soil will adjust it. Ph can give some insight but generally in organics concentrate on not over watering and keeping a healthy soil microbe population.

Have a read here for some soil info you may find useful.

Top Bottom