First time cloning, Day 1. Lumens, LUX, Watts, PPFD's, I'm beyond confused. and starting to think my LED light is Underpowered. Plz Help.

• Thread starter Sams0n
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sams0n

Sams0n

So I've been growing for almost a year, with 3 harvests under my belt. This is my first time attempting to clone though. I was gonna order a light for my clones on amazon, but seen this light at Lowes for $40 and decided to use that. It seemed like a good enough light to clone with at the time, so i bought two, I was sold on the full spectrum lighting, Now i don't even think that is true.
I need help figuring this out Farmers.
Specs i could find are posted above but:

Watts: 20
Kelvin: 300K
Spectrum: 620nm
Lumens: 1800

My questions are:
Is this light putting out enough energy for my clones?
If not, should I add the second Light?
How high above the Dome should I hang my Light/s?

First time cloning day 1 lumens lux watts ppfds im beyond confused  and starting to think my l
First time cloning day 1 lumens lux watts ppfds im beyond confused  and starting to think my l 2
First time cloning day 1 lumens lux watts ppfds im beyond confused  and starting to think my l 3
First time cloning day 1 lumens lux watts ppfds im beyond confused  and starting to think my l 4
First time cloning day 1 lumens lux watts ppfds im beyond confused  and starting to think my l 5
First time cloning day 1 lumens lux watts ppfds im beyond confused  and starting to think my l 6
First time cloning day 1 lumens lux watts ppfds im beyond confused  and starting to think my l 7
Jrod2676

Jrod2676

no no Maine . It’s scientifically proven blue lighting is most important for fastest root growth . By far the fastest , & a very small watt or lumen of white lighting with the majority of blue . Ask google or read up on science with professional growers lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

no no Maine . It’s scientifically proven blue lighting is most important for fastest root growth . By far the fastest , & a very small watt or lumen of white lighting with the majority of blue . Ask google or read up on science with professional growers lol
Actually more red provides more root and shoot growth, also more leaves but smaller. Also creates stretch which is directly related to shoot growth.

More blue increases vegetative growth and leaf size, thickness, stomata regulation etc.

Blue leaning is typically used in seedlings to prevent stretching and falling over.

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

Actually more red provides more root and shoot growth, also more leaves but smaller. Also creates stretch which is directly related to shoot growth.

More blue increases vegetative growth and leaf size, thickness, stomata regulation etc.

Blue leaning is typically used in seedlings to prevent stretching and falling over.
Sorry but no . Red is for flowering stage and budding . Not tryna go back and forth but google what color light is best for seedlings and clones . Read a article or 2 on people that put 98% of us to shame . After u read a lil on statically proven and on facts of that, lmk . Not being a dick at all, just read on the scientific studies and the kings of growin . Google rq

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

U actually shouldn’t need any use of red brotha. At all

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

Stretch , yea . Other than that red is useless

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No it's absolutely crucial and it's the most efficient spectrum that a plant absorbs.

You do realize a plant has different photorecptors for different spectrums of light.

It's not as basic as photons as you think. Different spectrums not only have different efficiencies and receptors these receptors also produce different compounds and hormones. Not to mention some receptors are only stimulated and produce hormones when combined like red and infrared that produce the Emerson effect... blue and UV also on the other side of the spectrum.

Rather than debate have a read here. Trust me I have done plenty of research and some growing. It's not as simple as you think.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sorry but no . Red is for flowering stage and budding . Not tryna go back and forth but google what color light is best for seedlings and clones . Read a article or 2 on people that put 98% of us to shame . After u read a lil on statically proven and on facts of that, lmk . Not being a dick at all, just read on the scientific studies and the kings of growin . Google rq
Can you link what your referring to? I'm going to guess in terms of root exposure to blue light... that triggers a growth spurt in roots away from the light. This is because it signals the root it's growing in the wrong direction as more than just gravitropism effect root growth and direction so does phototropism and moisture.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Let me know if you still feel this way after reading a compilation of studies.

The reference to the individual studies for each section of information is there is you feel you want to learn more about something specific or in more detail.

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

Let me know if you still feel this way after reading a compilation of studies.

The reference to the individual studies for each section of information is there is you feel you want to learn more about something specific or in more detail.
I’ll message ya

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

Heres from a professional grower in Europe growing over 30 years . Good read if y’all wanna know what’s best light For clones & plants &what’s producing highest cannabanoid and terpene levels

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

So I've been growing for almost a year, with 3 harvests under my belt. This is my first time attempting to clone though. I was gonna order a light for my clones on amazon, but seen this light at Lowes for $40 and decided to use that. It seemed like a good enough light to clone with at the time, so i bought two, I was sold on the full spectrum lighting, Now i don't even think that is true.
I need help figuring this out Farmers.
Specs i could find are posted above but:

Watts: 20
Kelvin: 300K
Spectrum: 620nm
Lumens: 1800

My questions are:
Is this light putting out enough energy for my clones?
If not, should I add the second Light?
How high above the Dome should I hang my Light/s?
Right now with clones at the first weeks or so , essentially what’s most important is to produce nice strong roots and have it grow a bit . When weed clones are trimmed nobody is looking for them to flower or even be close to bloom. What I’ve came based on is warm white light with a lot of blue and a small amount of red . Clones do not want direct lighting within a 24”up to 34 “ height. They apparently All need warmth , wetness / humidity and a mixture of all colors , some colors being more than others . But from 3 foot or more distance . Most color as I’ve readed witching the 20 or so different links to better grower sites is about a 4/5 ths warm white with blue . And a small amount of red . Hope this helps ya man

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Imo you don't want to go by height but rather intensity... the height will different for different sources to reach equal intensity.

I find clones do best under very low light, just enough to prevent then from flowering until rooted. Less than 5k lux and more like 2K.

Florescents can often be 6-12 inches above the plants while more intense light may have to be 4 feet.

If you give unrooted clones to much light they will start to yellow out because they are not uptake nutrients at a rate that supports the demand on photosynthesis.

If you have a full spectrum light (not blurple) you can use this app. Even ambient room light will work in most cases.

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

Imo you don't want to go by height but rather intensity... the height will different for different sources to reach equal intensity.

I find clones do best under very low light, just enough to prevent then from flowering until rooted. Less than 5k lux and more like 2K.

Florescents can often be 6-12 inches above the plants while more intense light may have to be 4 feet.

If you give unrooted clones to much light they will start to yellow out because they are not uptake nutrients at a rate that supports the demand on photosynthesis.

If you have a full spectrum light (not blurple) you can use this app. Even ambient room light will work in most cases.

Right on and I agree with , intensity . I think the light “intensity” or it’s really “wavelengths ” that ultimately matter , his light might be a lil to strong at that distance . But hey 🤣 I’m just throwing my opinions on what I know or believe out for dude . Flourcents yes , as that high times article said the same . I have to agree with every sentence u said . I believe same .

Latest posts

Top Bottom