First Time CoCo User Questions

• Thread starter LTG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LTG

I was going to do a hempy bucket, but have changed my mind and I am going to a smart pot. I want to use CoCo in there and I was wondering if anybody has used the Botanicare CoCo -

Will this work for me? I like this part of when they describe it: ".....CocoGro is exposed to rain water from at least three monsoon seasons, which naturally washes away harmful salts out of the final product. Most other coir fibers are only 4 to 5 months old and have excessive potassium and salts and thus have to be chemically treated. "

My next question is, Should I mix this with Perlite (chunky)? I was thinking like 30% Perlite in the mix.

Also, if I have 5 gallon worth of this medium, about how much will it take per feeding? I am trying to figure out the amount of nutrients I will need. I see you guys using different nutrients, but I am going to give Advanced a try. I still have not decided between the Organic, Monkey Juice, or Connoisseur line.

.....Do you add Cal/Mag in addition to any nutrient schedule that you follow? I see some say they add stuff for -N deficiency ....is that also a common problem or would I be fine since I will follow all the nutrients Advanced says to use ....

T

tngreen

Botanicare coco is excellent, i have used it with great results for 2 years. easy to reuse, doesnt need much flushing.

i havent used that much (5g) but more air to the roots can't hurt. adding perlite may cause you to have to water more often though, prolly depends on the ratio. 1 or 2 gal and straight coco would be great.

i highly recommend using Cal/Mag, it just makes things much easier. there may be other ways but this stuff works great and keeps my plants happy.

L

LTG

I'm glad to hear that Coco is good to use :)

I thought you had to mix with something like perlite. If you can do straight Coco, then away I go :) ....I wanted a 3-4 gallon pot, but I have a choice of a 2 gallon or 5 gallon. I figured the bigger the pot, the bigger the bud .....is that wrong thinking?

Do you have problems with -N and the Coco? I will use the CalMag in my nutrient schedule :)

T

tngreen

little bit of coco goes a long way. 5 gal pots of coco would give you some pretty massive plants id imagine so yes that would equate to bigger buds. if you got the room, go for it. never had a N deficiency but instead too much N. prolly was the strain but i wouldnt say you have to use extra N or anything like that. normal N dosage plus the calmag works well.

edit: some good opinions on pot size in this thread:

L

LTG

tngreen

Thanks for the help. I still believe that a bigger root mass can benefit the plant and yield. This is all theory to me and I will find out. I guess the biggest benefit of a bigger pot is that you don't have to constantly water. That is not really a issue with me, but I don't want to over-feed either.

I have read that thread and enjoyed reading it again. It reinforces the fact that the plants don't live in the 1 gallon container for more than 6 months and thus should be able to grow and keep healthy with no problems ( like being root-bound). Just need to keep up the feeding daily.

L

LTG

Just to add I have decided on a 2 - 2.5 gallon pot with a 20-30% Perlite in the mix.

L

LTG

Hererisssh - You been very helpful, thanks :) Let's see if I can make you proud :)

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
No problem, I know you will do well LTG.

A

akaKGB

LTG....I use botanicare coco with 25% expanded clay pellets in 3 gallon pots...with awesome results....25% perilite should werk great also...You are going to want to find cal/max or something simular as it is a must have for coco in hydro! I feed 1 to 2 a day with an organic fert line...good luck d00d KGB

A

akaKGB

I shouldnt have said cal-max is a must have....but highly recomended for newer coco setups until you get it down...the reverse osmosis water is the main reason for the defincances....it pulls out extra calcium and sulpher and minerals plants normally get from tap water..plus extra growth requires extra nitrogen and macros n micros...hope that helps some d00d ..KGB

L

LTG

akaKGB

Thanks man! Nice Pitt :) I want the perlite over the German Hydroton because I don't want to deal with that red runoff from it. That was my first thought and will be a option if for some reason I can't get perlite. I do understand that Cal/Mag is needed in addition to the nutrient schedule :) Also, I will do doing flushing as well to keep the salts down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom