First time drying. Signs of mold or rot?

• Thread starter Dtraderbudz23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dtraderbudz23

This is my first harvest and dry. I'm about 6 days in. RTH stays around 60 the temp is around 72. Cannot get the temp any lower than that and I am.not willing to buy an Portable ac. What should I be looking for while the buds are drying in terms of negative things. I know like mold and rot but what are the signs to look for when they're drying.

freezeland2

freezeland2

This is my first harvest and dry. I'm about 6 days in. RTH stays around 60 the temp is around 72. Cannot get the temp any lower than that and I am.not willing to buy an Portable ac. What should I be looking for while the buds are drying in terms of negative things. I know like mold and rot but what are the signs to look for when they're drying.
Getting crunchy to fast.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Your temps and RH are the same as mine where (and I’m running an AC unit lol) you should be golden at 5 days if they still aren’t crunchy at all, I use a moisture meter to check mine and do final trim and jar up when internal moisture is around 12-14% where the tips I was given and worked out perfect

This is the meter I used (I use it for my firewood as well for the wood stove lol)

F32FE06C A6EE 4097 B4CC B717BF852283
freezeland2

freezeland2

Your temps and RH are the same as mine where (and I’m running an AC unit lol) you should be golden at 5 days if they still aren’t crunchy at all, I use a moisture meter to check mine and do final trim and jar up when internal moisture is around 12-14% where the tips I was given and worked out perfect

This is the meter I used (I use it for my firewood as well for the wood stove lol)
10 - 12% will give you a better result. It’s also what Grove Bags recommends on their website. I would think it would work for jars if that is what you are using. Personally I use Grove Bags. Has been perfect every time at 10 - 12%.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
congrats on the harvest. you don'pt need any gaguets for this. when you hear a branch snap than it's dry enough. Make sure you have enough air circulation so it doesn't get damp around the crop

2Bad

2Bad

congrats on the harvest. you don'pt need any gaguets for this. when you hear a branch snap than it's dry enough. Make sure you have enough air circulation so it doesn't get damp around the crop
I like to go by if you go to pull a nug off and it peels the skin with it , it’s not done drying . Also when I jar it and it sticks together it’s a bit too wet for me. Idk if hydro and soil should be diff tho I feel like ones way fluffier then the other but that’s just me

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
I like to go by if you go to pull a nug off and it peels the skin with it , it’s not done drying . Also when I jar it and it sticks together it’s a bit too wet for me. Idk if hydro and soil should be diff tho I feel like ones way fluffier then the other but that’s just me
I don't think the drying process would matter much between soil or hydro grow. Once the plant is chopped it has stored sugars that will use which is the same for both method of growing. @Aqua Man thoughts on this?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I don't think the drying process would matter much between soil or hydro grow. Once the plant is chopped it has stored sugars that will use which is the same for both method of growing. @Aqua Man thoughts on this?
no difference in drying requirements. Its the bud size and a few other factors that really determines the length of drying time needed. In all cases low and slow is best. can take around a week to 3 weeks depending on size and conditions.

The goal is to evenly bring the moisture content down to around 14% or so then start curing.

Reactions: PK1
AlfaDog

AlfaDog

I get fluctuations in temp but the help of a dehumdifer ment for growing I manage to keep humidity relatively stable and a fan just circulating air not hitting them 14 days is what it takes before taking down the plants that are dried whole trimmed and bagged
Screenshot 20220827 070121 Govee Home

K

Knight

Keeping the RH at 60 is to keep them from drying too soon. I just dried some some between 78 and 82 F. and they came out fine. I did buy a moisture meter on Amazon to check the buds moisture content. After several days it was below 10 percent.

Top Bottom