zurple

Just a few questions. This is my first grow ever, so be patient. lol

Room Temp: 72
Tent Temp: 75 / 60% humidity
Water Temp: 72
PPM: 250
PH: 5.9
Light: 425w 30"

How does this look, are they stretching or do you see anything odd?
My concern is that I don't show any roots under the baskets yet.
Should I lower the lights to 24"?

I have no idea how tall or fast they should be at this point. I'd imagine once the roots get into the bucket it will speed up?
I planted them into the buckets last Tuesday. This is my first grow. My setup description is in my sig.

The third bucket has a new seed in it. I am going to try to germinate that one in the bucket.

First time dwc   one week in
First time dwc   one week in 2
First time dwc   one week in 3

BigCube

BigCube

Stretching? They're barely visable. Lol.
My pro tip to you is, dont worry so much, and don't micro manage. Usually at that stage you do not use any nutrients.

Good luck, great start so far.

zurple

zurple

Stretching? They're barely visable. Lol.
My pro tip to you is, dont worry so much, and don't micro manage. Usually at that stage you do not use any nutrients.

Good luck, great start so far.
Thank you. I'm afraid my OCD has got the best of me with this project.

xjking

xjking

I just started my first udwc and my plants were four inches tall before I saw roots out of the net pots. It took about a week and a half after planting them, be patient and you will be rewarded.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok here is a run down of how to start. First one question. Is this seedling in a rapid rooter, jiffy, rockwool or bare root?

Hoping one of the 3 and not bare root. I would wait 2 weeks after the beans pop before putting it in to hydroton. But to late now.

Water temps try for 68-70
Air temps: get it up to 80f if you can
Humidity: not below 60 at this point 75-80 would be ideal for the next 2 weeks.

Download a lumen meter on your phone. I use "light meter" by my mobile tools dev. No more than 5000 lumen at this stage.

Waterline: 1" below the net pot. So bubbles are breaking the surface and as the do so it splashes the bottom of the net pot keeping it moist. Do not submerge the net pot under the water you will kill your seedling

Placement of seedling: Take your empty net pot and put 2-3" of rinsed hydroton in the bottom. This is important no more no less. Then place your seedling and gently fill the rest of the net pot. If you will cover the plant then stop. You don't want light leaks shining through the net pot so as it grows keep filling until the net pot is full.

Air movement: no direct airflow on the plant you just want to keep the air moving in the tent at this point.

Ppm: 100-150ppm

Ph: I like to ph to 5.7,5.8 and let it drift up to 6.0,6.1. you won't see much of this until your plants are more established

What is your source water? RO, tap, other?

What testing equipment do you have? Ppm,ph meters are needed a IR temp gun will come in handy later.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh and you won't see that explosive growth that hydro is know for until the roots hit the water... Then bam it's on.

zurple

zurple

Ok here is a run down of how to start. First one question. Is this seedling in a rapid rooter, jiffy, rockwool or bare root?

Hoping one of the 3 and not bare root. I would wait 2 weeks after the beans pop before putting it in to hydroton. But to late now.

Water temps try for 68-70
Air temps: get it up to 80f if you can
Humidity: not below 60 at this point 75-80 would be ideal for the next 2 weeks.

Download a lumen meter on your phone. I use "light meter" by my mobile tools dev. No more than 5000 lumen at this stage.

Waterline: 1" below the net pot. So bubbles are breaking the surface and as the do so it splashes the bottom of the net pot keeping it moist. Do not submerge the net pot under the water you will kill your seedling

Placement of seedling: Take your empty net pot and put 2-3" of rinsed hydroton in the bottom. This is important no more no less. Then place your seedling and gently fill the rest of the net pot. If you will cover the plant then stop. You don't want light leaks shining through the net pot so as it grows keep filling until the net pot is full.

Air movement: no direct airflow on the plant you just want to keep the air moving in the tent at this point.

Ppm: 100-150ppm

Ph: I like to ph to 5.7,5.8 and let it drift up to 6.0,6.1. you won't see much of this until your plants are more established

What is your source water? RO, tap, other?

What testing equipment do you have? Ppm,ph meters are needed a IR temp gun will come in handy later.
I did everything on your list, except the 2 week wait. lol
I am using tap water after it sits out for 24 hours with air stones to let the chlorine evaporate.
I'll post an updated picture later this morning.
Thankyou

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I did everything on your list, except the 2 week wait. lol
I am using tap water after it sits out for 24 hours with air stones to let the chlorine evaporate.
I'll post an updated picture later this morning.
Thankyou
Awesome

Top Bottom