First time DWC Some Questions Before Starting

• Thread starter Entropy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Entropy

Entropy

Hey, so i've decided to try Hydroponics and will begin with a DWC system with plans to go RDWC in the future.

I have some questions about living or sterile rez. I bought hygrozyme for enzymes and a powdered bacteria with the following colonies as a replacement for hydroguard.

Guaranteed Microorganisms Minimum

Bacillus subtilis
2.48 x 10^8 cfu/g
Bacillus amyloliquefaciens
5.00 x 10^6 cfu/g
Pseudomonas monteilii
1.00 x 10^6 cfu/g

My question is will this mixture work like hydroguard, or will the other cultures be an issue? What kind of dose would be useful? Should I only inoculate the roots and hydrotron once or would I use a little every rez change? Or should i just save the hygrozyme and innoculant and shoot for a sterile rez? My temps usually stayed below 70 at the root zone in previous runs in peat. I'm not putting any organic nutrient in my rez. Will update progress here, clones are currently rooting. Thanks for the help!

Entropy

Entropy

Is it normal for a living DWC res to look a bit discolored and not completely clear? The microbes I'm using are above and the roots haven't came out the bottom yet, there is no off smell.
20210128 131528
20210128 131153

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Somewhat, yes. We need more details though. What's the res temp? Are you using enzymes? What media are you using in the net pots? Did you rinse said media, thoroughly (this is a royal PITA with hydroton. Took mine weeks to quit sending shit back to the res)? Where is your air? Did you just turn it off for the photo?

Entropy

Entropy

Somewhat, yes. We need more details though. What's the res temp? Are you using enzymes? What media are you using in the net pots? Did you rinse said media, thoroughly (this is a royal PITA with hydroton. Took mine weeks to quit sending shit back to the res)? Where is your air? Did you just turn it off for the photo?
Hey thanks for the reply, I am using enzymes, hygozyme, but I'm thinking of cutting it in the next res as I've heard mixed reviews on it, mostly negative. There is hydrotron in the net pots and I only gave it an approx 20 min rinse in a collander, a soak with bleach solution and a final rinse, so I think it is shedding some material still. Temps are high 60s, 66-69f right before lights out, and yes I pulled the air for a picture.

The top picture is the res water in a glass jar, and it's seems to have cleared a bit since I dropped the level to below the net pot. Roots still haven't shown out the bottom as there is a decent amount of hydrotron.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
If you drop the hygrozyme, are you going to replace it with some other enzyme? Only reason i ask is because I too run hygrozyme and it hasn't caused any issues as far as I've seen. Hydroguard, on the other hand, was a real wrench in the works for a few weeks. Goes to show the quality of innoculant you use is of utmost importance.

It took close to a month, maybe longer, before my res (I'm in a reciruclating dtw setup) wasn't clouding up. I chocked that up to being caused by the hydroton. That stuff just sheds and sheds for a long time. Since the water was touching your net pots, I bet you were making hydroton tea.

Do another changeout and just keep the water close enough that the bubbles from the air splash the media, that should be sufficient. You can top feed by taking a cup and running solution from the bucket through the media multiple times a day till the roots get down to where they can be self sufficient.

Entropy

Entropy

If you drop the hygrozyme, are you going to replace it with some other enzyme? Only reason i ask is because I too run hygrozyme and it hasn't caused any issues as far as I've seen. Hydroguard, on the other hand, was a real wrench in the works for a few weeks. Goes to show the quality of innoculant you use is of utmost importance.

It took close to a month, maybe longer, before my res (I'm in a reciruclating dtw setup) wasn't clouding up. I chocked that up to being caused by the hydroton. That stuff just sheds and sheds for a long time. Since the water was touching your net pots, I bet you were making hydroton tea.

Do another changeout and just keep the water close enough that the bubbles from the air splash the media, that should be sufficient. You can top feed by taking a cup and running solution from the bucket through the media multiple times a day till the roots get down to where they can be self sufficient.
Yah, I thought that is what I may have been doing with the hydrotron, I'll get started on a change out in the morning. I have been top watering with a turkey baster a couple times daily, thanks for the advice I really appreciate it! I may stick with the hygrozyme for now too. I'll post some pics as soon as the clones start to take off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom