First time grow and everything sofar is going good.

• Thread starter Kasper0909
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kasper0909

I grow in a light airy soil. 5 gallon pots. No nutes yet. Plants are about 9 days a old. I'm using a mars hydro tsw2000 in a 4x4. Only thing is I noticed some spots on a couple of the plants. Not sure if d this it's cause for concern or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First time grow and everything sofar is going good
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

A couple of comments. First, you should have filled the pots up a lot more. At least halfway to lip of your pots. You can gradually add some to increase the depth of the soil by another 2 inches or so.
Second, get yourself a cheap ($3) paper hole punch. Use it to punch a nice circular hole every two inches around the lip of your pots. Then get a package of wire ties and use it to tie down your branches in low stress training or manifolding.

Plants look healthy at this stage.

K

Kasper0909

Awesome thanks for the reply. I was wondering if I had too little soil haha. I was definitely going to train to the pots but the hole punch idea is genius. Do those tiny copper spots seem concerning?

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I don't know about the spots, but I do sometimes get something like that if some fertilizer dripped on a leave and dried there. Possibly even a bit of water concentrating the light? They don't look like they're having an issues. In big pots like these, I would expect to maybe have overwatering issues. You can't just dump a bunch of water in there because it will pool to the bottom of the pots and cause issues for the roots to grow down there. But until the plants get bigger and have roots there, they can't transpire much water through, meaning slow evaporation. Watering too little risks dry spots. It's a better situation with fabric than traditional pots, but watering issues is the biggest problem I've faced at this stage.

I also have been very hesitant to fertilize at this stage as I don't want to burn anything either. With the plants growing in soil, they should have enough nutes to grow another couple of weeks before feeding. Maybe feed a very light dose, but it's a point where a little may do something, doing nothing may slow things down a week, but doing just a bit more might burn and stunt them for a 2-week-recovery period. Less risky not to fertilize at all for a bit.

Those pots really look too empty. I would add at least one more inch of soil, and perhaps a layer of diatomaceous earth on top to prevent fungus gnats. I hear a layer of perlite on top also helps control fungus gnats. You'll get gnats if you overwater and the top couple of inches of soil never really dries out.

You are doing an organic grow, which means don't use H2O2 for any kind of control as it will kill the good stuff. At this point you might start adding mycorrhizae to your water to try to build up a community of good 'stuff' in the root zone:

K

Kasper0909

Sounds like amazing advice. I've been letting out pretty dry recently haven't watered in a couple of days trying to lighten the pots and let it completely dry before watering. When I do water I water a small circle around the plant. I added some soil to the top. Haven't had an issue with the gnats yet, only 1 or two when I'm getting fresh soil out of the bag. They seem to be in the bag a little.

Habosabin

Habosabin

Sounds like amazing advice. I've been letting out pretty dry recently haven't watered in a couple of days trying to lighten the pots and let it completely dry before watering. When I do water I water a small circle around the plant. I added some soil to the top. Haven't had an issue with the gnats yet, only 1 or two when I'm getting fresh soil out of the bag. They seem to be in the bag a little.
You will want to water the whole pot soon to promote root growth. Roots don't grow in dry soil.

They look real healthy and look right on track for 9 days. Good luck.

Last edited:
K

Kasper0909

Added a little soil to the top. Will continue to add soil here and there. No sign of any gnats. I'm sure I'm getting close to topping, maybe two more sets? Also probably getting close to LSTing.

20220331 111816
20220331 111820
20220331 111828
K

Kasper0909

I topped or more like Fimmed two of my plants today. Too early? This is my first grow and like most people I learn best by my own mistakes. Seems like I did it right. Any observations are greatly appreciated.

20220401 134732
20220401 134738
20220401 134747
Anthem

Anthem

I topped or more like Fimmed two of my plants today. Too early? This is my first grow and like most people I learn best by my own mistakes. Seems like I did it right. Any observations are greatly appreciated.
See those brow spots on the leaves in picture #2. That is either bugs or calcium. If you cannot find bugs than more than likely it is a Calcium Def.

Anthem

Anthem

See those brow spots on the leaves in picture #2. That is either bugs or calcium. If you cannot find bugs than more than likely it is a Calcium Def.
Also I would probably change the title of your thread if I were you. This is about the easiest part of the grow process. Nearly all of the challenges come later in the growing process.

K

Kasper0909

Yes I gave some cal mag just in case. Turned out it was probably from water sitting on the leaves.

Habosabin

Habosabin

The fims look good. My auto did fine with fimming and should not pose a problem if they are strong seedlings. LST is also a good option for autos. You should get a nice haul with 8 plants in your 4x4.

K

Kasper0909

I do have a couple autos but the ones i FIMed and Topped are photos. I also have a restless 5x5 area next to the tent for I guess vegging when these get bigger. I have Bestva 3000 de in side room. Mixing it up a little

20220326 162142
freezeland2

freezeland2

Why did you start with such a large pot? Are they auto flower? As previously mentioned water the whole pot to the edges. Roots will not go to dry soil.

Top Bottom