First time grow!! Any tips??

• Thread starter SlayyGirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SlayyGirl

Hey all!!
I am a first-time grower here! Like, I literally have no clue what I am doing and just kind of winging it. I'm an avid marijuana user and never thought of growing my own until I got older and adulting and started doing my own home gardening. I thought why the heck can't I do it? So I happened to get a bag of marijuana from a friend that had a lot of seeds in it. I saved them and did the germination thing thinking nothing would happened, and to my surprise, they sprouted!! So May 15th 2022 is the day I planted those little beauties in little containers. 5 of them in total! I have NO clue what strain they are or anything other than I got these seeds out of my bag :p. I started growing them outdoors for about 4 weeks, and then brought them in, so I could control the enviornment. I think that is why they are kind of stretched at the bottom? So as of now they are 10 weeks old and this is how they are looking....I water and feed them as needed and are in a 1 gallon container...I have 2 LED grow lights and then a 5 - wand grow light that changes light color, so currently I have that set in the blue lighting for vegetative growth. My light schedule currently is 18/6...But I am thinking of switching them over to12/12 since I dont have too much space. Could these plants handle that? Oh and the figuring out if they are male or female...I have no clue what they are!! I thought they were females growing but now it looks like more leaves? As you can tell Im pretty clueless. Im pretty shocked that they have made it this far honestly! I do take care of them every day and consider them my babies, but the information out there is just soo much and I would love to hear tips and advice from actual growers. Especially since my plants look nothing like what I see online lol If you made it this far in this thank you!!

First time grow any tips
First time grow any tips 2
First time grow any tips 3
First time grow any tips 4
GrimReffer

GrimReffer

Hey all!!
I am a first-time grower here! Like, I literally have no clue what I am doing and just kind of winging it. I'm an avid marijuana user and never thought of growing my own until I got older and adulting and started doing my own home gardening. I thought why the heck can't I do it? So I happened to get a bag of marijuana from a friend that had a lot of seeds in it. I saved them and did the germination thing thinking nothing would happened, and to my surprise, they sprouted!! So May 15th 2022 is the day I planted those little beauties in little containers. 5 of them in total! I have NO clue what strain they are or anything other than I got these seeds out of my bag :p. I started growing them outdoors for about 4 weeks, and then brought them in, so I could control the enviornment. I think that is why they are kind of stretched at the bottom? So as of now they are 10 weeks old and this is how they are looking....I water and feed them as needed and are in a 1 gallon container...I have 2 LED grow lights and then a 5 - wand grow light that changes light color, so currently I have that set in the blue lighting for vegetative growth. My light schedule currently is 18/6...But I am thinking of switching them over to12/12 since I dont have too much space. Could these plants handle that? Oh and the figuring out if they are male or female...I have no clue what they are!! I thought they were females growing but now it looks like more leaves? As you can tell Im pretty clueless. Im pretty shocked that they have made it this far honestly! I do take care of them every day and consider them my babies, but the information out there is just soo much and I would love to hear tips and advice from actual growers. Especially since my plants look nothing like what I see online lol If you made it this far in this thank you!!
There is much to learn but your starting out like a lot of other growers did. What did you plant them in? Dirt,coco? What are you feeding them for nutrients? They are looking pretty healthy. What is the watts of your led lights? Do you know what your temps and humidity are? I would let them grow a little more before flipping, maybe think about topping them to help with height constraints.

CTABB83

CTABB83

I'm on my second grow but it's my first serious attempt at it. I used my first grow as a learning experience. What I learned is lighting is key along with temp and air circulation, and not over watering. To me it looks like your plants are stretching because the lights aren't strong enough also with your room situation you should learn how to top and use a bend and hold low stress training technique it'll help keep them lower in veg. Once they flower they're gonna shoot up a lot. Soil ph is important too. You want it to be around 6 for optimal nutrient uptake. Here's one of my girls. She's a Sativa strain purple alien. She's just starting week 4 of veg. You won't be able to tell if they're male or female until you flip to 12/12. If you. Have any questions this site is great for help.

Received 1481799712248375
20220521 165350
CTABB83

CTABB83

I'm on my second grow but it's my first serious attempt at it. I used my first grow as a learning experience. What I learned is lighting is key along with temp and air circulation, and not over watering. To me it looks like your plants are stretching because the lights aren't strong enough also with your room situation you should learn how to top and use a bend and hold low stress training technique it'll help keep them lower in veg. Once they flower they're gonna shoot up a lot. Soil ph is important too. You want it to be around 6 for optimal nutrient uptake. Here's one of my girls. She's a Sativa strain purple alien. She's just starting week 4 of veg. You won't be able to tell if they're male or female until you flip to 12/12. If you. Have any questions this site is great for help

I'm on my second grow but it's my first serious attempt at it. I used my first grow as a learning experience. What I learned is lighting is key along with temp and air circulation, and not over watering. To me it looks like your plants are stretching because the lights aren't strong enough also with your room situation you should learn how to top and use a bend and hold low stress training technique it'll help keep them lower in veg. Once they flower they're gonna shoot up a lot. Soil ph is important too. You want it to be around 6 for optimal nutrient uptake. Here's one of my girls. She's a Sativa strain purple alien. She's just starting week 4 of veg. You won't be able to tell if they're male or female until you flip to 12/12. If you. Have any questions this site is great for help.
I tied down a few more of the branches I want to produce. On a scale 1-10 how did I do? I'm going to top 1 more time to hopefully increase the canopy volume. And suggestion or advice are welcomed.

Received 1481799712248375
20220730 152314
weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

CTABB83 could use some more powerful lights for flower.
Slayygirl you need them bigger lights. Your plants are at the point where they're starving for it.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
a few things of note:

Look at my signature, there's a link to a thread with a template that has all the questions we "actual growers" need to help you more effectively. You are an "actual grower" now as well -- you're growing, yes?

Based off what I can see, the soil mix is heavily peat based. I don't see much perlite or anything else to provide air to the soil, which will lead to compaction and difficulty getting watering down right. This leads to my second point, you either have the beginning of nitrogen toxicity or overwatering going on. Could also be a VPD. The fan leaves are developing the typical symptom of "the claw" often associated with N toxicity though, so keep an eye out for browning tips. Overwatering, as it progresses, will show as collapsed cells (super dark green, almost camo army green/grey patches).

You need more powerful lighting.

Those plants should already be showing presex but due to being hindered by lack of inputs to encourage truly healthy growth, they're just barely starting to branch out. The misnomer of "you won't know sex until you flip" is just that, a misnomer. Bullshit. Cannabis will show its sex when it reaches maturity, which is when it switches from binodal to internodal node spacing. This typically happens around six to eight weeks in my experience.

Other than that, without having more details, I've said what I can. I'm not a soil grower, so won't speak to pH or nutrients, but growing this plant is pretty straightforward and all of them require roughly the same parameters regardless the medium used.

Top Bottom