First Time Grow - Flowering Advise

• Thread starter Nerraw86
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nerraw86

Nerraw86

how big is your porch /deck? there is always the option of a small tent or a diy build with plywood to build a box,just make sure it tall,that one plant would do great in a 2x2 tent as long as it was at least 7ft tall,sativas are usally tall and lanky unless you train them,you could start to top and slow the stretch for the sun,but id let it go myself
There’s enough space for me to make a box from plywood. I think I’ll do that.
Should I drill a few small holes in the box for air movement?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

There’s enough space for me to make a box from plywood. I think I’ll do that.
Should I drill a few small holes in the box for air movement?
id drill holes,but keep in mind you need 12 hours of dark any light leak can hurt you,what i would do is build the box,the width of a 2x4 standing on end,i would put a floor in with a million holes hahahahvin the floor bottom,the sides and front of that frame id leave solid,and on back side of frame against the wall id have it open ed up were a exhaust fan could pull the air from under the box and up threw the box,exhaust it out the top just as you would a tent,so heat isnt a problem ,so by doing this your also gonna have to run lights,because the box will cut off your sun over movement if you dig,but the one plant in the box with a light and say 6in hole in top for a exhaust fan pulling air out would do the job ,you would run the exhaust fan 24-7,holes in floor will bring in you fresh air and co2,just got to get a light and timer to run it and done,paint or decorate the box for wondering eyes

Nerraw86

Nerraw86

id drill holes,but keep in mind you need 12 hours of dark any light leak can hurt you,what i would do is build the box,the width of a 2x4 standing on end,i would put a floor in with a million holes hahahahvin the floor bottom,the sides and front of that frame id leave solid,and on back side of frame against the wall id have it open ed up were a exhaust fan could pull the air from under the box and up threw the box,exhaust it out the top just as you would a tent,so heat isnt a problem ,so by doing this your also gonna have to run lights,because the box will cut off your sun over movement if you dig,but the one plant in the box with a light and say 6in hole in top for a exhaust fan pulling air out would do the job ,you would run the exhaust fan 24-7,holes in floor will bring in you fresh air and co2,just got to get a light and timer to run it and done,paint or decorate the box for wondering eyes
Thanks for the advice man.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thanks for the advice man.
your making a good choice building one,i will never buy another tent ever,to damn hard to put up,flimsy as hell and every time you turn around a pin hole is showing in the dark,not to mention the zippers thread tearing loose.
at least the box can be used for storage when plants arent in them,but same as the sun and heat outside you have to deal with heat inside,but the mind has imagination for a decorative closet setting on your deck

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

maybe you could build a frame, over which you place bag/cloth/covering.

Nerraw86

Nerraw86

maybe you could build a frame, over which you place bag/cloth/covering.
That’s what I was thinking of doing. I don’t necessarily have the funds or time to do an indoor grow.

My view on things is that plants are from nature and nature should take care of them.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

for the time being, keep it simple. you're getting the most valuable element of 'this thing of ours', experience!

outdoor photo-period is now 14 hours (?), but its slowly shortening its light period. So, it would soon start to sex up, left outside. i would only move it if the outdoor elements gets rough.

what i find is that you implement an idea - then sometimes it provides the framework around which things work, or you end up trying something else which works better for you. but keeping it simple allows you to dismantle, adjust. while you try it out, you find out what works, what doesn't work, experience, again. plus all this is dependant on your personal circumstances.

Nerraw86

Nerraw86

for the time being, keep it simple. you're getting the most valuable element of 'this thing of ours', experience!

outdoor photo-period is now 14 hours (?), but its slowly shortening its light period. So, it would soon start to sex up, left outside. i would only move it if the outdoor elements gets rough.

what i find is that you implement an idea - then sometimes it provides the framework around which things work, or you end up trying something else which works better for you. but keeping it simple allows you to dismantle, adjust. while you try it out, you find out what works, what doesn't work, experience, again. plus all this is dependant on your personal circumstances.
So the outside light is about 13:30 hours a day of which I would say possibly 10 are direct sunlight.

So absolute darkness is around 10 hours or so.

I do think as you said in an earlier message that it’s currently undergoing a pre-flowering spurt because there seems to be slightly more swelling and white hairs appearing.

I think as this is only my second grow (the first was some Durban Poison which was a bit faster) I may just be over eager and not appreciate the full growing period of the plant. It’s most likely impatience.

Next time I’m going to try some auto flowering seeds and see how that pans out.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

9/10 weeks until end of April, maybe that's a rough timetable of its harvest time.

leave it outside, take care of her, be patient.

Nerraw86

Nerraw86

9/10 weeks until end of April, maybe that's a rough timetable of its harvest time.

leave it outside, take care of her, be patient.

I think that's probably a reasonable harvest time.

I'll get nugs instead of eggs for Easter, lol.

Nerraw86

Nerraw86

Hey guys, I thought I’d give you an update. So last week she started to really pushing out the start of the budding process.

I gave her a trim and she’s looking good and smelling great!

BC7F3FF8 F710 4DF2 A009 7BFEB2C53E47
686C73C6 C02F 4EAE A59F A572C9518E32
13059F9B D9E6 4732 A9F0 D1C7228F15B2
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Hi All,

I am a first time grower from South Africa.

Growing small amounts of cannabis for personal consumption is not illegal, nor is possessing a small amount. As such, it's not always easy to determine the strain of seeds you may have unless you buy auto flowering seeds - something I intend to do in the future.

I would like some advise on my plant, which I think based on the leaves is a sativa dominant strain.

I germinated the seed and planted the seedling on 25 October last year. In December I went away for three weeks and when I came back the plant was going through what I assumed was the stretch part of its vegetative phase.

The plant was dense with leaves, which I trimmed back to allow for air-flow and light. At the time, there were a few pistils developing at the node sites. It's been three weeks since I trimmed it back and it appears to be in the same state as it was when I trimmed it.

The plant is outdoors and gets full sun all day and is in complete darkness at night.

I feed it once a week with a multi-feed and water as an when necessary (its summer at the moment and we've been having a decent amount of rain).

I want to know if any more experienced growers have adivse on accelerating the flowering stage. I am worried that by trimming it, I switched it back to a veggie state just as it was starting to switch from flowering. If this is the case, will it flower at all or stay in a veggie state?

I have attached some pictures, albeit not great ones, to show you the plant.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Welcome to the Farm. Looks good. Yup, a sative leaner. Go easy on the nutes. Too much just burns the roots.

Plant should be fine and will flower with the shorter days. No worries.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Hey guys, I thought I’d give you an update. So last week she started to really pushing out the start of the budding process.

I gave her a trim and she’s looking good and smelling great!
You post this and I feel like a prophet. Looking good. Hands off until ready😂

Hell, take a stock and dry it😉

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Thanks man. Yeah, just some nutrients and water - nature will do the rest.
It's gonna need another 8+ weeks of love. Mine have gone for too many weeks to count here in winter but they're also sativa learners and take their sweet time. Get a loop and watch the trichromes turn cloudy and then amber. I never tire of watching the changes. 10-20% amber on the flowers and time to chop. Then another 3+ weeks to get smokable. Fun times.

Nerraw86

Nerraw86

It's gonna need another 8+ weeks of love. Mine have gone for too many weeks to count here in winter but they're also sativa learners and take their sweet time. Get a loop and watch the trichromes turn cloudy and then amber. I never tire of watching the changes. 10-20% amber on the flowers and time to chop. Then another 3+ weeks to get smokable. Fun times.
Thanks man,

Yeah watching the change is fascinating.

These pictures were taken a little under a week ago. This morning I saw a little bit of frosting starting to develop on the leaves around the bud sites.

So, end April early May should be harvest time.

Thanks for all the input along the way guys.

Top Bottom