FIRST Time Grow, Indoor and soil

• Thread starter Jon808Burn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jon808Burn

Jon808Burn

Hello all, finally joined this site after reading countless posts and threads. Found all info very helpful, even if it was pure opinion. Hoping to gain a bit more knowledge from all of you. Planning on starting a Indoor grow......... 600 watt lumatek digital balast HPS, with AgroMax Digital 600w MH bulb for veg. and Hortilux super hps lamp 600w for flower using an AIROFLOW reflector......... in a HTG 39x39x79 Grow tent.......... Thinking 4 Plants ending in 4 gallon pots. Will be using a Co2 enrichment kit. Will be air cooling light and using oscillating fan in tent. Plan on organic soil and fert. Wondering... A: Are these products quality? already totaling a bit more $ then i want to spend but willing to do it if IS in fact quality.....B: is this enough room for 4 plants? (not wanting to do anything to fancy for my first grow pruning/toping wise......... C: any suggestions on strains? (was thinking caramalicious and or pineapple kush, good or no?) D: is 2 -2.5 oz per plant a realistic goal?

V

vierundzwanzig

A; Everything is relative as far as quality goes.
B; Sure its enough room for the type plants you want to grow. But 4 christmas tree like plants in 3 sqf doesn't sound right.
C; I'm growing pineapple kush and pineapple express. liking the look and smell of the express better. they both branched out like bb&t. D; Easy especially with the c02 but not in a three by three.
4g pots will work but the bigger the better especially if you take my advice and get a bigger tent. I have a 7 by 7 tent and its perfect for the 600 hps plus you have more room to garden and space for another supplemental light. personally i think you could save money on your light setup and invest in seeds and soil/amendments. another suggestion is to think about scroggin a 3 x3 tent with the 600.
DSCF1074

Jon808Burn

Jon808Burn

B; are you thinking less or more? 2 maybe for some bigger plants, yeah i wish i could have a bigger space but room constraints are a bitch. Is the scrog method difficult? this would be my first indoor attempt. wouldn't mind trying it

V

vierundzwanzig

scrog is simple and two kush plants could easily fill up the 3 by 3 tent. if that's all the space you have it will work fine. just pick a good strain that does well in scrog and decide how you want to do it. if i knew how to link a thread i would bu you can search scrog and choose the method best fits your growing style.
good luck and check out a thread or two of mine i have some plants in cages and will post pics occasionally.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Are you trying to keep under a certain number of plants for legal reasons? From a beginners stand point I would try to fill the tent with smaller plants; Easy canopy control without training, easier to hit decent over all yeilds(all top colas), less vegging time means less feeding and less time to fuck something up. Are you starting seeds or clones?

Jon808Burn

Jon808Burn

Are you trying to keep under a certain number of plants for legal reasons? From a beginners stand point I would try to fill the tent with smaller plants; Easy canopy control without training, easier to hit decent over all yeilds(all top colas), less vegging time means less feeding and less time to fuck something up. Are you starting seeds or clones?
no legal issues. actually i was thinking it would be easier for a beginner to do one or two plants, haha guess not. will be starting from seed.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Fem seeds? Start ten flower them all? Gonna start a mom and take cuttings? If you are in a cool state I would suggest buying clones from a reputable dealer. Save some serious time and head ache...

Jon808Burn

Jon808Burn

Fem seeds? Start ten flower them all? Gonna start a mom and take cuttings? If you are in a cool state I would suggest buying clones from a reputable dealer. Save some serious time and head ache...
yeah i a friend suggested the clone idea as well. think that might be a better way to go for first time, but if i were to buy seeds it would def be fem. wouldn't start all at once, clone or seed i only wanna do a few, no mother for now. maybe in near future

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter

I've been burned many times by reputable dispos. . .bugs, weak plants, incomplete/incorrect orders. . .I said fuck it and started a mother tent so I don't have to deal with that shit.

outwest

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I've been burned many times by reputable dispos. . .bugs, weak plants, incomplete/incorrect orders. . .I said fuck it and started a mother tent so I don't have to deal with that shit.

outwest
100% agree with you Outwest, they are some scamming, un-organized mofos forsure!!! But i think still think there are a few good ones out there... a valuable resource for people with out mothers. But you have to be careful with cuts from anyone... I Got mites because i wanted this sick cut of Green Crack from my boy(WORTH IT)...Just assume they have bugs and do a neem dip/azamax root drench.

Dr.Infern

Dr.Infern

i'm about to start my first grow too kid... i have been researching a lot but i have no experience so i cant really tell you much other than i, myself, will be using bag seeds for my first attempt, rather than spending a lot of money on genetics. i just dont want to spend all that money when i have a higher probability of fucking something up.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
i'm about to start my first grow too kid... i have been researching a lot but i have no experience so i cant really tell you much other than i, myself, will be using bag seeds for my first attempt, rather than spending a lot of money on genetics. i just dont want to spend all that money when i have a higher probability of fucking something up.

Great thinking. . .2 pieces of advice. . .keep it simple, and read the shit out of this site and ask a ton of questions. Seems to work well for me.

outwest

Dr.Infern

Dr.Infern

also if you want to do less plants but still have a bunch of colas try uncle ben's topping method, which gives you 4 main colas on each plant.

many people seem to have success at this even on their first grows, as long as you are absolutely clear where and when to do your topping. basically, you wait till you ahve 5 or 6 nodes then cut the plant just above the second true node where you see fan leaves. this causes the auxins in the plant (plant hormones) to be re-distributed to the two remaining true nodes causing new colas to form. it's pretty easy, but if you cant figure out what "true node" means then i would wait until you do.
p.s. thats on the rollitup site

Chobble

Chobble

also if you want to do less plants but still have a bunch of colas try uncle ben's topping method, which gives you 4 main colas on each plant.

many people seem to have success at this even on their first grows, as long as you are absolutely clear where and when to do your topping. basically, you wait till you ahve 5 or 6 nodes then cut the plant just above the second true node where you see fan leaves. this causes the auxins in the plant (plant hormones) to be re-distributed to the two remaining true nodes causing new colas to form. it's pretty easy, but if you cant figure out what "true node" means then i would wait until you do.
p.s. thats on the rollitup site

Thats called FIM topping as well. You'll see it everywhere you look on growing forms :p Its definately the way to go imo though. And plenty of tie downs.

Anyways you ask about soil, In my experince good soil can go a long ways. Thats generally expert mixed soil etc with the perfect servings of Guano etc for each strain. If you hunt Caregiverken down, I know he has a great recommendation on the cheapest soil around, and he says it works pretty well. Its about 5$ a bag from lowes I believe. Now I always like to go to the next step and either mix my own, Or buy the expensive stuff... FF: Ocean Forest is some damn good soil, and your plants will love it through veg. That runs more like 15-20$ a bad but is really worth it.

*Just a warning though, Im kinda worried I got Root Aphids in a bag of Light Warrior from FF so keep your eyes open gents.

Try not to spend a bunch of money on seeds your first time, I mean you can by all means you may grow better pot just because of it (Better genetics lead to better pot, its like 75% of growing right there...) I always tell noobies to grow from bag seed though, You learn how to sex a plant off the bat along with the fact each plant doesn't have a very big price tag (At 10-15$ a bean it adds up)

^^ I was going to tell you not to buy Fem Seeds but then I saw this here. So I thought I may. In my experince, If I had never originally grown from seed for my first few grows, I would have never known what a male flower looks like, and when I ran into problems with hermies etc it made it much easier to spot and prevent.

For the learning curve I argue for normal seeds :p Clones are an even better choice if you can get them though, but yet again you loose out on the learning curve (They will just expedite your Day to harvest).

Chobble

V

vierundzwanzig

now this is how help is supposed to be dispensed. people helping each other and ignoring differing views for the most part.
I learned a lot from reading uncle bens stuff back in the days. and without even knowing it ive become an old dirt farmer of sorts myself.
@ chobble that learning curve is a mofo and i too have just started buying fem seeds here and there.
to the new growers Keep It Simple Stupid is how the army used the acronym. us pot lovers are so damned soft/pc now. lol
and
read the shit out of this site and ask a ton of questions.
ready break

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I think it would be easier if you start from bag seed, it'll save you money and when you get the hang of it then buy some feminized seeds (they are kinda expensive). I also think 4 plants is good for 9 sq.ft. if you do start from bag seed then I would germ 10 of them because all of them might not germ plus you have to expect 50% or so will end up being males. Topping is one of the easiest ways of training, if you have no exp. and you don't know what ScrOG is then I wouldn't try it your first grow. Just Top the plants a couple times and after you do some research on ScrOG then your next grow you should try it out. just my opinion, good luck.

Dr.Infern

Dr.Infern

fimming is different from uncle bens method of topping and is less reliable/harder to pull off. uncle ben's method works every time. theres a reason they call it "fuck i missed"

Chobble

Chobble

fimming is different from uncle bens method of topping and is less reliable/harder to pull off. uncle ben's method works every time. theres a reason they call it "fuck i missed"

FIM = "Fuck I missed" because it was first discovered by a guy who messed up topping. Not because it doesnt work every time.

For all intenets and purpose's they are the same thing, and when you begin working with the plant more you'll realize they're about the same.

The only argument would be that Uncle ben recommends waiting for your clone to get a little taller, (Which has nothing to do with the type of top).

Chobble

Purpstickipunch

Purpstickipunch

Yep if you take care of your plant your plant will take care of you. Period.

Dr.Infern

Dr.Infern

FIM = "Fuck I missed" because it was first discovered by a guy who messed up topping. Not because it doesnt work every time.

For all intenets and purpose's they are the same thing, and when you begin working with the plant more you'll realize they're about the same.

The only argument would be that Uncle ben recommends waiting for your clone to get a little taller, (Which has nothing to do with the type of top).

Chobble

except in uncle bens method you cut above the second true node, and fimming you cut the top of the new growth

Latest posts

Top Bottom