First time grow with female seeds . Do they show signs of preflower during Veg

• Thread starter Greenthumb90
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Greenthumb90

Greenthumb90

Hi Guys , first time growing with female seeds . Have several plants if not most of them in vegetation but have female pistols on each node up the stem as they are growing . Not sure what this means . They have had them for two weeks now but only two pistols on each node and still pushing out two pistols as they grow . Not showing signs of actually flowering though and vegging nicely . Could someone explain what these are as I haven’t had it happen before and it’s first time using female seeds . The girls are under lights in my grow tent on 14/10 light cycle as I am about to move them outside to continue vegging. Located in Australia if your wondering why I would be moving plants outside now . Any advice appreciated ✌️

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

they are showing there sex as female if they had balls in the same area they would be male.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Usually there are no signs of pre-flowering until close to actual flowering, but some of the plants growing nowadays have pistils on them from the time they are a week old! I had a Grandaddy Purple plant that was beautiful and large, but it was covered in pistils from the time it was 6 inches tall and kept putting more pistils out during flowering. I wouldn't consider that as pre-flowering, as I think of pre-flowering as an occasional pistil found in one of the plant's joints, not tons of pistils from start to finish.
This was the only strain tha I have had that grew pistils like this, which isn't normally a characteristic of a female seed. With genetics getting mixed up like scrambled eggs, it's hard to say what causes this to happen. Pure strains are getting difficult to find. If you are finding pistils, then I would say that you are doing OK and it's a female plant. There is a possibility that the 14/10 cycle is causing the plants to start flowering, so the sooner you get them outside, the better. Are all the plants the same strain that have the pistil issue? They should re-veg when placed outdoors, but that shouldn't slow things down too much as you have a lot of time to go in your season. I'd try, however, to get them in their permanent home ASAP to prevent any possible stresses that might cause hermaphroditic plants.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

14/10 could start flowering. Veg to be safe requires more than 16 hours of light.

Female pre flowers are at the nodes and look like a tiny single calyx with 2 tiny white hairs (pistils) sticking out. They can happen usually after week 5 or so in veg.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi Guys , first time growing with female seeds . Have several plants if not most of them in vegetation but have female pistols on each node up the stem as they are growing . Not sure what this means . They have had them for two weeks now but only two pistols on each node and still pushing out two pistols as they grow . Not showing signs of actually flowering though and vegging nicely . Could someone explain what these are as I haven’t had it happen before and it’s first time using female seeds . The girls are under lights in my grow tent on 14/10 light cycle as I am about to move them outside to continue vegging. Located in Australia if your wondering why I would be moving plants outside now . Any advice appreciated ✌
Can I ask you what 14/10? I'm on 24hrs 7 days a week in veg. I see no sense having lights off in veg and I get almost 3 extra days of growth per week running 24 hrs a day than what only 14hrs per day gives you. I use about 200 watts to veg my plants.

Greenthumb90

Greenthumb90

Usually there are no signs of pre-flowering until close to actual flowering, but some of the plants growing nowadays have pistils on them from the time they are a week old! I had a Grandaddy Purple plant that was beautiful and large, but it was covered in pistils from the time it was 6 inches tall and kept putting more pistils out during flowering. I wouldn't consider that as pre-flowering, as I think of pre-flowering as an occasional pistil found in one of the plant's joints, not tons of pistils from start to finish.
This was the only strain tha I have had that grew pistils like this, which isn't normally a characteristic of a female seed. With genetics getting mixed up like scrambled eggs, it's hard to say what causes this to happen. Pure strains are getting difficult to find. If you are finding pistils, then I would say that you are doing OK and it's a female plant. There is a possibility that the 14/10 cycle is causing the plants to start flowering, so the sooner you get them outside, the better. Are all the plants the same strain that have the pistil issue? They should re-veg when placed outdoors, but that shouldn't slow things down too much as you have a lot of time to go in your season. I'd try, however, to get them in their permanent home ASAP to prevent any possible stresses that might cause hermaphroditic plants.
Thanks for the reply Jimster . I’m moving them out of the tent in 10 days too there permanent home where they can hopefully Veg a little longer before flower . I am increasing the light hours per week by 15 minutes now until then and done so last night so they are on 14.15 of light now and will be on 14:30 before they go out . Just added some co2 too the room as well to help them along the way before the transition . I have several strains in the tent . Mainly Sativa . Chocolope, Durban poison, great white shark and White Island . It’s mainly the great white and White Island showing pistols and a couple of Sativa but not all . They are still vegging nicely and seeing growth daily so hopefully they turn out ok . If not and some go to flower then they should still be of decent size in flower as some are already 9-10 inches in height

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks for the reply Jimster . I’m moving them out of the tent in 10 days too there permanent home where they can hopefully Veg a little longer before flower . I am increasing the light hours per week by 15 minutes now until then and done so last night so they are on 14.15 of light now and will be on 14:30 before they go out . Just added some co2 too the room as well to help them along the way before the transition . I have several strains in the tent . Mainly Sativa . Chocolope, Durban poison, great white shark and White Island . It’s mainly the great white and White Island showing pistols and a couple of Sativa but not all . They are still vegging nicely and seeing growth daily so hopefully they turn out ok . If not and some go to flower then they should still be of decent size in flower as some are already 9-10 inches in height
They will probably re-vegg even if they do start flowering. This will produce a VERY bushy plant but you should be fine otherwise. Sativas seem to start flowering a few weeks later than Indicas, so you should maybe bump the daylight period up a little quicker to try to prevent full blown flowering. Keep in mind that you need to consider the pre dawn and post sunset light when outside. This can add over an hour of daylight to your sunrise/sunset times alone, so don't short yourself on daylight!

Greenthumb90

Greenthumb90

They will probably re-vegg even if they do start flowering. This will produce a VERY bushy plant but you should be fine otherwise. Sativas seem to start flowering a few weeks later than Indicas, so you should maybe bump the daylight period up a little quicker to try to prevent full blown flowering. Keep in mind that you need to consider the pre dawn and post sunset light when outside. This can add over an hour of daylight to your sunrise/sunset times alone, so don't short yourself on daylight!
Thanks Jimster . I might bump them up another 15 minutes tomorrow then and just made the decision to move them out in 7 days not 10 now . Do you reckon snipping the pistols off the plants could help ?

BudBogart

BudBogart

I wouldn’t be extending artificial light before going outside. I think you were on the right track if you’re trying to get the plants outside early in the season.
I think I went from 15/9 or 16/8 to outside pretty early on, but I supplemented natural sunlight with individual little solar lights to extend the time under lights.
I left the solar lights go until the season was long enough to prevent flowering.

Greenthumb90

Greenthumb90

I wouldn’t be extending artificial light before going outside. I think you were on the right track if you’re trying to get the plants outside early in the season.
I think I went from 15/9 or 16/8 to outside pretty early on, but I supplemented natural sunlight with individual little solar lights to extend the time under lights.
I left the solar lights go until the season was long enough to prevent flowering.
Thanks budbogart, you think just leave them on the light schedule they are on and move them outside ASAP ?

BudBogart

BudBogart

Thanks budbogart, you think just leave them on the light schedule they are on and move them outside ASAP ?

If the weather permits I would move them out ASAP because the sun, in good weather, will provide the best environment. I assume your moving through your springtime?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks Jimster . I might bump them up another 15 minutes tomorrow then and just made the decision to move them out in 7 days not 10 now . Do you reckon snipping the pistols off the plants could help ?
Do NOT snip the pistils off. What will possibly happen is that from every Pistil, you will get a new branch that will grow out and make the plant very bushy. If you don't want it bushy, then you might want to snip a few off although I have never done it myself. Regarding the photoperiod, I don't think it will matter too much if you add the 15 extra minutes or not, but for vegging growth, you want to have about 16 hours minimum if possible. Anything less can sometimes cause the plants to get confused for a while until they decide to flower or vegg. Thats why, with outdoor grows, you need to consider the pre dawn and post sunset photoperiods since it doesn't take much light to afftect a plant's cycles. As long as you are seeing an increasing photoperiod, then your plants should do fine when moved.

Greenthumb90

Greenthumb90

Do NOT snip the pistils off. What will possibly happen is that from every Pistil, you will get a new branch that will grow out and make the plant very bushy. If you don't want it bushy, then you might want to snip a few off although I have never done it myself. Regarding the photoperiod, I don't think it will matter too much if you add the 15 extra minutes or not, but for vegging growth, you want to have about 16 hours minimum if possible. Anything less can sometimes cause the plants to get confused for a while until they decide to flower or vegg. Thats why, with outdoor grows, you need to consider the pre dawn and post sunset photoperiods since it doesn't take much light to afftect a plant's cycles. As long as you are seeing an increasing photoperiod, then your plants should do fine when moved.
Cheers Jimster . I will follow your advice . They are moving out in 5 days to there home . That’s a picture of the girls a few days ago . They are 5 weeks old from seed grown in soil in 2 gallon fabric pots . Roots are starting to pop out sides of pots now so definitely need taken out

0491FB60 8B7E 462D AA65 95115DB31F1C
Greenthumb90

Greenthumb90

Cheers Jimster . I will follow your advice . They are moving out in 5 days to there home . That’s a picture of the girls a few days ago . They are 5 weeks old from seed grown in soil in 2 gallon fabric pots . Roots are starting to pop out sides of pots now so definitely need taken out
Do you reckon I could take a couple of clones off them and start them straight outside to get a few more plants from the strong ones ?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Do you reckon I could take a couple of clones off them and start them straight outside to get a few more plants from the strong ones ?
Yes. Cloning works easiest during vegging growth. I usually just snip a small branch and either plant it directly into the dirt, or if the sample isn't as big, just clone them the regular way. Just take a cut off of a less robust area on the donor plant so you won't lose any vigor from it while retaining the genetics of that particular plant. I'm not too experienced in cloning... I usually grow from seed or if a branch breaks off I'll stick it a few inches into the soil and it will usually root within a few days.

Greenthumb90

Greenthumb90

If the weather permits I would move them out ASAP because the sun, in good weather, will provide the best environment. I assume your moving through your springtime?
Yeah moving them out with only 5 weeks left of springtime budgoart . I won’t be able to harden them off though so I hope that they will cope . They are decent size and will probably take a hit being not hardened off but if they fail then there are backups

Greenthumb90

Greenthumb90

Yes. Cloning works easiest during vegging growth. I usually just snip a small branch and either plant it directly into the dirt, or if the sample isn't as big, just clone them the regular way. Just take a cut off of a less robust area on the donor plant so you won't lose any vigor from it while retaining the genetics of that particular plant. I'm not too experienced in cloning... I usually grow from seed or if a branch breaks off I'll stick it a few inches into the soil and it will usually root within a few days.
Hey Jimster . Just after some more advice . I moved all my indoor plants outside after your advice . Some have gone to flower and some haven’t . The ones that haven’t will be monsters but the ones that started to flower , they started to flower for roughly 2-3 weeks but then reverted back to vegetation . You can tell it stunted there growth but I’m just wanting to know if they will still fill out properly when they do want to flower . At the moment they look like big airy buds but I know from the leaves that it’s re Veg from daylight hours . The other ones seemed to of adapted fine and will be beautiful girls . Never had this issue as it’s first try starting indoors and moving outside .

Top Bottom