First time grower, any & all inputs/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Thread starter yo0123yo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
yo0123yo

yo0123yo

Hello to everyone at THCFarmer, I came across this site & the forums a couple days ago and the site is very nice. When it comes to cannabis info & knowledge, this seems like where one wants to be for any kind of help and someone else's input.

All 4 plants are 'Topanga Wedding' strain from Greenpoint Seeds.

This is my first ever time actually buying seeds and beginning the grow process. Very interesting so far. Today makes it 10 days that my four seeds have popped above the soil. I have some concerns/questions, & simply would like some knowledgeable input from some of you generous people here on the forums regarding my grow specifically. Constructive criticism is very much welcome. I'm using a 3 X 3 x 6 grow tent in my room. I'm going to try and list every single item I purchased to go along with and specifically for my grow, and eventually, grows. I'm using four grow pots now about the size of the Red Solo Cups or just a tiny bit bigger. I'm also using FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil for the medium. The light which I am using on these four babies is the Spider Farmer LED 1000 Watt. I also added a 6" fan in the tent to simply keep air blowing around & moving. I have NOT used any nutrients, food, or anything like that besides watering them when the soil feels almost fully dry. I may have over-watered them a couple of days ago can that be why some leaves are discolored and dropping downwards? I'm not using nutrients now at all but all of the nutrients that I've purchased are FoxFarm Liquid Plant Food Big Bloom Concentrate - earthworm castings & bat guano, FoxFarm Grow Big Liquid Plant Food, & TigerBloom Extra Strength 2-8-4 Fertilizer, Sonkir Soil pH Meter, & the KoolaMo Digital pH Meter.

These are the images I took of them this today on [12/02/2019] @ 12PM EST]
20191202_104119.jpg
20191202_104119.jpg
20191202_104133.jpg
20191202_103034.jpg

Also the leaves on the plants are dropping downwards towards the soil. Any ideas as to how to fix this and is there anything that anyone sees that can use my help? Is it an over-watering issue? Thanks a lot again in advance anyone has any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask & also any and all feedback, replies, criticisms, opinions are all absolutely beyond appreciates.

Thank you guys very much in advance. Below this are the images I took on November 27, 2019.

First time grower any  all inputssuggestions are greatly appreciated 2
First time grower any  all inputssuggestions are greatly appreciated 3
First time grower any  all inputssuggestions are greatly appreciated 6
First time grower any  all inputssuggestions are greatly appreciated 7
First time grower any  all inputssuggestions are greatly appreciated 8
First time grower any  all inputssuggestions are greatly appreciated 9
First time grower any  all inputssuggestions are greatly appreciated 10
First time grower any  all inputssuggestions are greatly appreciated 11
Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Soil is a bit to hot for them (higher in nutrients than they need) They do look over watered but under watering looks very similar. How often are you watering them? will help figure that out. With that soil you gotta just get em by until they are able to better handle the nutrients that it provides. I think a good option when using going forward would be to start them in peat pellets or another soil until they are big enough for transplant. Watering will be key for this they are looking quite unhappy but hopefully someone with experience in that soil can lead ya in the right direction.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

you have any of that soil left?
if you do fill the same size pot your using with it and lean the dry soil towards you,feel the weight?
now do the same with your plant,feel the weight?
you can also weight that dry soil document it,then weight a pot you just watered real good,document it,when you take that weight and split it that will be 50% moisture right,so with the 50% moisture you can then water,ideal is 45 to 55% moisture for your plants,weight them and you want over water.
so looking at the pots the soil looks really dry,thats ok i suggest getting a turkey baster and about 1inch from the stalk take the turkey baster and water around your plant,no need to water whole pot,the roots havent filled it yet if you dig,the more you water the more you wash out the nutes cooked into the soil,so just use the baster and give it a good water and done.
your plants will be just fine,you just need to figure out how to water and when to water same with feeding,the ocean forest ive gone a whole month before my plants need food,some times i dont even start feeding until i flip to flower.
one more thing,move you light a little closer to plants to stop the stretching,you want thick healthy stalk not slender if you dig,hope this helps and welcome to the farm

yo0123yo

yo0123yo

The last six images were all pictures I took a couple days ago. I took them on November 27, 2019

yo0123yo

yo0123yo

Can anyone tell right away if it is symptoms of over-watering or under-watering or any other issues that stand out that anyone is aware of? Today is right at about day 14 after having them put in the soil. Thanks again for all your feedback and tips!

Last edited:
V

Vondank420

Can anyone tell right away if it is symptoms of over-watering or under-watering or any other issues that sound out that anyone is aware of? Today is right at about day 14 after having them put in the soil. Thanks again for all your feedback and tips!
@oldskol4evr laid it out for you...
If underwatered , in 30 mins or less the leafs will loose all turgeness, shrivel and at that point leafs hang straight down and look like cooked spinach .
Your pics were showing curling down but still had some turgeness.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@oldskol4evr laid it out for you...
If underwatered , in 30 mins or less the leafs will loose all turgeness, shrivel and at that point leafs hang straight down and look like cooked spinach .
Your pics were showing curling down but still had some turgeness.
Yeah you and @oldskol4evr are right... got on the PC instead of my phone... Over watered definitely you can even see the bugling ridges

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

OP over watering isn't from watering to much its caused by watering to often and/or poor drainage. Its not the water that is the problem its the lack of oxygen but when soil is saturated it does not breath well and causes poor gas exchange.

yo0123yo

yo0123yo

Got ya! When would you guys recomend I water them next since it seems it's definitely an over-water issue? Thanks again very much.

yo0123yo

yo0123yo

Thanks again everyone for all the input, as far as pots go, can anyone recommend any common pots used for beginners at all? Or something that would be good to use for someone like me who's a beginner and so that the pot has adequate runoff, etc.? Thanks again

Madbud

Madbud

Solo cups, fresh soil weighs 150 g full. Meter your water accordingly but never more than a 50% increase. They drink about 10ml (g) per day. Without feeling your pots i say they look thirsty still.

yo0123yo

yo0123yo

Not too go too much off topic but when the lights go out at midnight (I'm running typical 18/6), does having my camera's night vision infrared lights on have any negative effect at all towards how much light the plants receive or is it a non factor? Thanks again and any and all help/inputs are still greatly appreciated. Cheers

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not too go too much off topic but when the lights go out at midnight (I'm running typical 18/6), does having my camera's night vision infrared lights on have any negative effect at all towards how much light the plants receive or is it a non factor? Thanks again and any and all help/inputs are still greatly appreciated. Cheers
Being you are not in flower absolutely not. Even then plants do not use green light as efficiently as say red or blue so I think it would take a bit more than that to impact them but is still not a good idea to have any light during lights out in flower.

Havocsm1

Havocsm1

What's your watering schedule? Do you know? How much per watering? Post 3 explains everything you need to know and you pretty much brush it off. That's cool, before I learned how to water I didn't know what real vigorous growth was.

Overwatering is common, this is the second post about it I've read today. Overwatering and underwatering looks a lot alike. If we knew your schedule it'd be easier to help. I promise when you dial in your watering, with high intensity lights, oh boy your plants gonna love you.

Gl

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Hey man, just wanted to know how much youre watering your plants? im having the issue of overwatering, and i cant seem to grasp it, It looks like youre getting it. Size pot? and how much are you giving them, how often?

you have any of that soil left?
if you do fill the same size pot your using with it and lean the dry soil towards you,feel the weight?
now do the same with your plant,feel the weight?
you can also weight that dry soil document it,then weight a pot you just watered real good,document it,when you take that weight and split it that will be 50% moisture right,so with the 50% moisture you can then water,ideal is 45 to 55% moisture for your plants,weight them and you want over water.
so looking at the pots the soil looks really dry,thats ok i suggest getting a turkey baster and about 1inch from the stalk take the turkey baster and water around your plant,no need to water whole pot,the roots havent filled it yet if you dig,the more you water the more you wash out the nutes cooked into the soil,so just use the baster and give it a good water and done.
your plants will be just fine,you just need to figure out how to water and when to water same with feeding,the ocean forest ive gone a whole month before my plants need food,some times i dont even start feeding until i flip to flower.
one more thing,move you light a little closer to plants to stop the stretching,you want thick healthy stalk not slender if you dig,hope this helps and welcome to the farm

@oldskol4evr so watering to run-off is not neccessary every watering? Just because youre saying not to water the whole pot, and i get that the roots havent filled the pot. But i have a young plant, in a 1 gallon pot that i water till run off, and i just overwatered her. So i would be okay, giving her just enough water to drink, and not watering her till run off?

I watered my 1 gallon pot, with a half gallon of water. which is horrible, i know, but that was because i didnt get any runoff with a 1/4 gallon of water. so i just gave it some more to get run off, and then i apparently over watered her. Do you think i would have been fine just sticking to the first 1/4 gallon of water? if you get what im trying to say lol. She felt full at 1/4 of a gallon, but i had no run off and saw dry soil on the bottom, so i gave her more and i think thats where i messed up. I will weigh my pots tonight to get a weight number on a scale.

Its in here @oldskol4evr.

If you care to give an opinion, i would appreciate it!

Sorry, @yo0123yo, i am not trying to steal your post lol, i am just trying to learn also along with you. Im horrible at this. :(

yo0123yo

yo0123yo

Size pot = using gallon pots w/ a quarter gallon of water. About every 3 days. Lots of guides and information online, that's how I get my info and some by eye depending if they were overwatered for example and the most annoying thing is the wait to see the bud

@oldskol4evr so watering to run-off is not neccessary every watering? Just because youre saying not to water the whole pot, and i get that the roots havent filled the potential. But i have a young plant, in a 1 gallon pot that i water till run off, and i just overwatered her. So i would be okay, giving her just enough water to drink, and not watering her till run off?

I watered my 1 gallon pot, with a half gallon of water. which is horrible, i know, but that was because i didnt get any runoff with a 1/4 gallon of water. so i just gave it some more to get run off, and then i apparently over watered her. Do you think i would have been fine just sticking to the first 1/4 gallon of water? if you get what im trying to say lol. She felt full at 1/4 of a gallon, but i had no run off and saw dry soil on the bottom, so i gave her more and i think thats where i messed up. I will weigh my pots tonight to get a weight number on a scale.

Its in here @oldskol4evr.

If you care to give an opinion, i would appreciate it!

Sorry, @yo0123yo, i am not trying to steal your post lol, i am just trying to learn also along with you. Im horrible at this. :(
[/QUOTE]

Update: pics 01/09

20200109 014036
20200109 014003
20200109 014019
Top Bottom