First time grower in coco I thought I was over watering it……

• Thread starter Ctsbestsmoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AmokNewb

AmokNewb

I water my plants 4-5 times a day with an auto halo drain to waste system in 70/30 coco/Perl. I set my fertigation times at around 50 seconds per fertigation this gives me about a 10% runoff so I don’t get any buildup. I find that the general hydro nutes are easiest to use but for late flower I use the advanced nutrients line ph perfect for coco the last 3-4 weeks. Here is my feeding chart that I use as a rough guide and as served me very well. Also attached is my fertigation chart for scheduling.

D1785F83 861A 4D24 B74B 72032735E117

1E197489 359F 416F 82FA 23A165904A4D

Enforcer

Enforcer

My 2 cents would be to drill drainage holes in those pots so the runoff can freely move away. You said they were drying out now, so after the drainage issue is taken care of. I would run your nutrients through the coco at around 1.2 EC. You’re going to reset the nutrient charge in the coco. Get plenty of runoff to wash out whatever has built up due to the drainage issue. Then resume your daily feeds to 20% runoff or so.

Caveat: You may need to wait a couple days for the first dry back so the roots can grow and heal from being over saturated. Once she starts growing again after the initial dry back, you should be good to resume once a day feeds.

Ctsbestsmoke

Ctsbestsmoke

I water my plants 4-5 times a day with an auto halo drain to waste system in 70/30 coco/Perl. I set my fertigation times at around 50 seconds per fertigation this gives me about a 10% runoff so I don’t get any buildup. I find that the general hydro nutes are easiest to use but for late flower I use the advanced nutrients line ph perfect for coco the last 3-4 weeks. Here is my feeding chart that I use as a rough guide and as served me very well. Also attached is my fertigation chart for scheduling.

View attachment 1300996
View attachment 1300997

Thank you so much gonna go to the hydro store now and get a good ph down because fox farm only works for the moment go and test next day and it’s out of whack

Ctsbestsmoke

Ctsbestsmoke

My 2 cents would be to drill drainage holes in those pots so the runoff can freely move away. You said they were drying out now, so after the drainage issue is taken care of. I would run your nutrients through the coco at around 1.2 EC. You’re going to reset the nutrient charge in the coco. Get plenty of runoff to wash out whatever has built up due to the drainage issue. Then resume your daily feeds to 20% runoff or so.

Caveat: You may need to wait a couple days for the first dry back so the roots can grow and heal from being over saturated. Once she starts growing again after the initial dry back, you should be good to resume once a day feeds.
Headed to hydro store now to get a good ph down foxfarm sucks

M

MasterCookie

There is perlite 70/30 temps are 77 during the day 71 at night but I haven’t been getting run off due to the stupid pot not have proper drain holes they have them on the bottom but the sides.
Is it 70% perlite and 30% coco?

M

MasterCookie

Judging from your plants.. it just seem like you have an underwater issue.. together with salt build up that's further preventing water uptake.

My advice for flushing is to drop you ppm to 75% of your normal feeding.. and flush you media with the same volume of your pot as nutrient solution. Flushing a big plant like that with just water can lead to further stress and deficiency problem later on . It's a bit wasteful money wise but it is the safest way to flush.

If you aren't buffer you pH to around ph 6 to 6.3. Get yourself some concentrated sulphuric acid or phosphoric acid. Those are the best ph down and it will be alot cheaper than buy brand name ph down that are extremely diluted.

M

MasterCookie

However on rare cases some people using coco/perlite actually suffer from to low of a media ph in their soil. You usually get this if your Nitrogen source is higher in Ammonia( usually nutes meant for soil and not coco). This leads to nitrification occurring in your media and cause acidification of your coco your pot. So best do a slurry test to make sure the pH in your pot before you assume that ph down is the answer.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Judging from your plants.. it just seem like you have an underwater issue.. together with salt build up that's further preventing water uptake.

My advice for flushing is to drop you ppm to 75% of your normal feeding.. and flush you media with the same volume of your pot as nutrient solution. Flushing a big plant like that with just water can lead to further stress and deficiency problem later on . It's a bit wasteful money wise but it is the safest way to flush.

If you aren't buffer you pH to around ph 6 to 6.3. Get yourself some concentrated sulphuric acid or phosphoric acid. Those are the best ph down and it will be alot cheaper than buy brand name ph down that are extremely diluted.
Man, there is so much to know with hydro. I tried my fair share years ago but migrated to soil. Especially now bc I have limited time to spend in the garden I need more of a hands free garden. But man so many of you hydro guys make it look so easy, your like scientists you have it down so good. Much respect to all you hydro growers 🙏

M

MasterCookie

Man, there is so much to know with hydro. I tried my fair share years ago but migrated to soil. Especially now bc I have limited time to spend in the garden I need more of a hands free garden. But man so many of you hydro guys make it look so easy, your like scientists you have it down so good. Much respect to all you hydro growers 🙏

Lol I'm not hydro.. technically but I am a chem engineer that does Aquaponics lol.. but hydro practices help be get the bess growth. And thanks for the compliment ☺️.

My NPK is always changing everyday. So I always have to work with hypothesis and assumptions.. these hungry guys determine my plant health.
However in my case because I use fish water that has microbes and ammonia in it.. my coco degrade slowly over time.. releasing the potassium in the cocopeat as nutrients to the plants as additional slow release nutes. So coco is a God sent for me.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Lol I'm not hydro.. technically but I am a chem engineer that does Aquaponics lol.. but hydro practices help be get the bess growth. And thanks for the compliment ☺️.

My NPK is always changing everyday. So I always have to work with hypothesis and assumptions.. these hungry guys determine my plant health.
However in my case because I use fish water that has microbes and ammonia in it.. my coco degrade slowly over time.. releasing the potassium in the cocopeat as nutrients to the plants as additional slow release nutes. So coco is a God sent for me.
View attachment 1301064
Friggin A! That’s a hole other level of scientists. I’ve heard about Aquaponics. I wouldn’t even know where to begin. Hands down to you and all Aquaponic growers 🙇🏻‍♂️ You sure know what your doing. That’s just straight incredible. What type of fish are they?

M

MasterCookie

Friggin A! That’s a hole other level of scientists. I’ve heard about Aquaponics. I wouldn’t even know where to begin. Hands down to you and all Aquaponic growers 🙇🏻‍♂️ You sure know what your doing. That’s just straight incredible. What type of fish are they?
Hope I'm not hijacking.. but tilapia. Red hungry kind. Lol I was almost about to fail at Aquaponics because I was running it as an organic grow.. which it is.. but the irony is because it's so high it microbial live.. using stuff like compost tea locks up all plant available nutrients.. when I started using phosphoric acid for ph down the water that I use to fertilizer the plants and not the fish pond.. together with Epson salt.. rapid growth occurred. I also made potassium phosphate with is almost a 3:1 K:P and increased my ppm by 100 with that.. massive plant growth. And not only in Cannabis.
20221105 090257

Coco is the bess for outdoors. Even in stormy weather.. after rain falls I just reflush the rain water out with amended fish water.. plants doesn't feel a difference

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Hope I'm not hijacking.. but tilapia. Red hungry kind. Lol I was almost about to fail at Aquaponics because I was running it as an organic grow.. which it is.. but the irony is because it's so high it microbial live.. using stuff like compost tea locks up all plant available nutrients.. when I started using phosphoric acid for ph down the water that I use to fertilizer the plants and not the fish pond.. together with Epson salt.. rapid growth occurred. I also made potassium phosphate with is almost a 3:1 K:P and increased my ppm by 100 with that.. massive plant growth. And not only in Cannabis.
View attachment 1301067
Coco is the bess for outdoors. Even in stormy weather.. after rain falls I just reflush the rain water out with amended fish water.. plants doesn't feel a difference
That’s crazy they are like the red wigglers but for water haha. That’s the whole beauty of it all experimenting, failing, break throughs, creating and just plain ole having fun! I guess we should jump off his thread haha. Talk to you later! ✌🏼

M

MasterCookie

That’s crazy they are like the red wigglers but for water haha. That’s the whole beauty of it all experimenting, failing, break throughs, creating and just plain ole having fun! I guess we should jump off his thread haha. Talk to you later! ✌🏼
Look forward to it.

Ctsbestsmoke

Ctsbestsmoke

So just for haha I gave some nutrients at 1.0 the runoff came out at 5.65 ph lock out?

M

MasterCookie

So I'll suggest to continue feeding at 1 and use some ph up or potassium hydroxide or potassium carbonate.. potassium carbonate will help create a buffer to prevent ph from going to low.

So you need to add any of these to you nutrient solution till the ph of your feed is around ph 6.6 to 6.7 and monitor your runoff ph. You want your runoff to be around ph6 to ph 6.2. At that point you can buffer you feed to around ph6.4 to 6.5 from now on.

One thing to note is before you ph up. Test the ph of your feed untouched to verify you starting ph. Let us know how it turns out and Gluck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom