First time grower looking for any advice!

• Thread starter einthecorgi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
einthecorgi

einthecorgi

Hey! First-time grower here. Got a 2x2x5' tent indoor setup, growing a Gelato #25 x Dosidos clone I purchased from a dispensary. The budtender told me the clone was about 4-5 weeks old at the time of purchase. It's been in my home environment for 10 days now, and I believe is doing well, but I still have some concerns.

The clone took well to the coco perlite medium, and had a great first few feedings. After researching online, I noticed other plants tended to be much shorter and had more nodes and leaves. I assumed this could either be a genetics thing or a "reaching for the light" thing, but still, the length of the plant (it was even rather tall with sparse leaves when I picked it up) compared to the number of leaves and nodes is a bit concerning. My light (not sure of the model, it came with the rather inexpensive 2x2 tent kit from MarsHydro) is hung about 8-10" above the top growth as of now, and there is plenty of airflow. Maybe I could trellis this plant a bit early to further encourage some horizontal growth?

As I said this is my first try at growing, so I'm being really cautious, and really just looking for any informed opinions here, or if you notice anything wrong with the plant itself. I'd also love any tips on how to keep this thing healthy, and have a big yield! I'd also love to answer any questions you may need to know. Thanks!

Cannabisplantfull
Cannabisplantcloseup
Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Hello ! Welcome to the forum

Dont let there be a gap between the filter pot and the drain tray, roots will come out of the fabric pot.

I would have fun with it and learn bending and pruning techniques.

einthecorgi

einthecorgi

Dont let there be a gap between the filter pot and the drain tray, roots will come out of the fabric pot.

will do, thank you for the advice!

Mugwort

Mugwort

Is that right about leaving no gap between bottom of fabric pot and drain tray? I recently switched to fabric pots and have been reading about the importance of keeping fabric pots off the floor or surface of drain pan/bowl using some sort of elevator for the purpose of air exchange for roots.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Is that right about leaving no gap between bottom of fabric pot and drain tray? I recently switched to fabric pots and have been reading about the importance of keeping fabric pots off the floor or surface of drain pan/bowl using some sort of elevator for the purpose of air exchange for roots.
You are on the right track.

My "error" were that I had a tray directly under it that I did not empty. This had a bit of water, but did not touch the pot. Still became alot of roots there. I think it was because it was dark and the presence of water.
Not a crucial error. The plant turned out to be a male anyways

BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

Hey! First-time grower here. Got a 2x2x5' tent indoor setup, growing a Gelato #25 x Dosidos clone I purchased from a dispensary. The budtender told me the clone was about 4-5 weeks old at the time of purchase. It's been in my home environment for 10 days now, and I believe is doing well, but I still have some concerns.

The clone took well to the coco perlite medium, and had a great first few feedings. After researching online, I noticed other plants tended to be much shorter and had more nodes and leaves. I assumed this could either be a genetics thing or a "reaching for the light" thing, but still, the length of the plant (it was even rather tall with sparse leaves when I picked it up) compared to the number of leaves and nodes is a bit concerning. My light (not sure of the model, it came with the rather inexpensive 2x2 tent kit from MarsHydro) is hung about 8-10" above the top growth as of now, and there is plenty of airflow. Maybe I could trellis this plant a bit early to further encourage some horizontal growth?

As I said this is my first try at growing, so I'm being really cautious, and really just looking for any informed opinions here, or if you notice anything wrong with the plant itself. I'd also love any tips on how to keep this thing healthy, and have a big yield! I'd also love to answer any questions you may need to know. Thanks!
Idk about if itll turn out the best but you can take some of the tips i should have taken. At that size I would LST the thing now. Each day or two make the ties bend her just a little bit more. Your ties can be attached to your fabric pot by poking a hole in the top of pot where youll tie down, when it grows you can use your drip tray and drill a few holes in its rim and secure ties to that rather than the side of your tent, thatll take up too much space. Dont add trellis yet, not needed as your ties will do same thing but still allow you in the tent and around the plant.
What nutes are you feeding? How often? Also you can raise the drip tray and pot off the floor with a baking rack, itll keep the root zone from getting cold, i didnt take this advice at first and regret it. My plants now elevated an inch and a half off the floor.

Mugwort

Mugwort

I am relatively new at this also. You might want to concentrate just on keeping your plant healthy and providing conditions conducive to her growing you a few ounces of good buds. My advice is to learn and implement the proper watering and feeding techniques first. Over/under watering can cause a host of problems along with OVERFEEDING her. I have never used anything other than soil so I cannot advise you on the nutritional nuances for growing in coco but watering/feeding is usually the biggest issues for new growers no matter what the grow medium.

Keep in mind the maximum height you would like to see being mindful of canopy distance to light. Get some of the basic tools you’ll need. I bought a pH/TDS meter and a hand held microscope before my second grow was complete out of necessity. If you encounter a time where your plants are not thriving checking the pH of your runoff and taking a micro peek at the leaves are basic to diagnosing problems. Trust me, it’s better to have these things on hand rather than needing them and having to wait while a sick plant gets sicker.

That being said, there’s nothing wrong with doing a little LST on her. The goal is to maximize the number of bud sites exposed to light. Google “LST & Nugbuckets”....there is some great tutorials on doing LST on clones. Look up SCROG for cannabis. Weaving branches through the top of a net is a great way of maximizing bud sites!

Have fun and keep her healthy while you learn training techniques for manipulating and maximizing bud growth. Get your basics down first!

Slickrick82

Slickrick82

Bend it more almost like a n of some sort just dnt force it or snap it. If u do end up snap it a bit tape it

Slickrick82

Slickrick82

I am relatively new at this also. You might want to concentrate just on keeping your plant healthy and providing conditions conducive to her growing you a few ounces of good buds. My advice is to learn and implement the proper watering and feeding techniques first. Over/under watering can cause a host of problems along with OVERFEEDING her. I have never used anything other than soil so I cannot advise you on the nutritional nuances for growing in coco but watering/feeding is usually the biggest issues for new growers no matter what the grow medium.

Keep in mind the maximum height you would like to see being mindful of canopy distance to light. Get some of the basic tools you’ll need. I bought a pH/TDS meter and a hand held microscope before my second grow was complete out of necessity. If you encounter a time where your plants are not thriving checking the pH of your runoff and taking a micro peek at the leaves are basic to diagnosing problems. Trust me, it’s better to have these things on hand rather than needing them and having to wait while a sick plant gets sicker.

That being said, there’s nothing wrong with doing a little LST on her. The goal is to maximize the number of bud sites exposed to light. Google “LST & Nugbuckets”....there is some great tutorials on doing LST on clones. Look up SCROG for cannabis. Weaving branches through the top of a net is a great way of maximizing bud sites!

Have fun and keep her healthy while you learn training techniques for manipulating and maximizing bud growth. Get your basics down first.
The key is keeping the soil alive. Do what I did make it easier on urself get living soil and some build a soil craft blend and water. Try it out let me know

CTABB83

CTABB83

I'd try and get your humidity up just a bit. I'm on my first grow myself and had my RH similar to yours then I got a humidifier and my plant has been much happier. Also since like me your using a 2x2 I'd start LST (low stress training. Here's mine for example.

20220111 120434
Slickrick82

Slickrick82

I'd try and get your humidity up just a bit. I'm on my first grow myself and had my RH similar to yours then I got a humidifier and my plant has been much happier. Also since like me your using a 2x2 I'd start LST (low stress training. Here's mine for example.
Perfect u got it as it grows keep tieing down till as big as u want it then flower .but remember how much height u playing with example u got a 6 foot tent with light ull have about 4 close to 5 feet to play with. Veg it about half of that height then flower .if u didnt already know that.incase. happy growing

Latest posts

Top Bottom